What are your TOP TEN COASTERS

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: What are your TOP TEN COASTERS

Postby thrillseeker4552 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Time for an update. I really cannot decide on an order anymore so I will just list the first ten totally awesome, amazing coasters I can think of that I wouldn't mind riding at this exact moment.

Skyrush
El Toro
Intimidator 305
Fury 325
Maverick
Railblazer
Twisted Colossus
Kingda Ka (front row only)
Millennium Force
Nitro

Honorable mentions: X2, Tatsu, Superman the Ride, Joker (SFDK), Wicked Cyclone.
Steel: 160 / Wood: 32 / Total: 192
Home Parks: Knott's (when home), Lagoon (at school)

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Dombot » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Gatekeeper wrote:6) Twisted Timbers/SFOG

1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Mako 5. Alpengeist

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby TurnOfTheCentury » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:32 pm

I don't typically rank, much less in order, but will try to make this somewhat according to preference:

1. Steel Vengeance. I am an air time, steep hills, out-and-back junkie, and this coaster had all that (well, except the out and back part) AND cool inversions and twisty stuff as well. AND it was comfortable. Is there anything it can't do??! A dream ride.

2. El Toro: The opening drop, and then the ejector air on those two hills is heaven - a 1-2-3 punch to the gut. And then the low to the ground finale is excellent. It really does ride like a bucking bull, trying to throw you out of the train. My mind was blown when I first rode it. Naturally, I envisioned carbon copies of this all over the amusement park world. Naturally, I was dead wrong, as usual. No one can explain to me why (perhaps the Merlin people can?)

3. SFNE Superman/ Bizarro - For the air. And the scenery. And the shitty one-train operations, of course.

4. Wodan - Europa Park. I know there are "better" woodies out there, but there is just something about the crazed pacing of this that feels out of control and always puts a smile on my face (and a bruise on my ribs). The surprise hit of the park for me.

5. Millennium Force - I have come to love it over time (when I didn't at first). The view, the first drop, the length, the speed. It's "easy" in a good way. Even graceful . . . .

6. Iron Rattler - SFFT. Too short, but it does what it does well in that short period of time, and that twisting first drop is epic in the back seat, and then the final drop into the tunnel off the quarry wall is nirvana.

7. Thunderbolt - Kennywood. Love the use of the ravine, the air, and the beginning of it, especially. A classic. Rides like history.

8. Coaster - Vancouver Playland. Can almost ride it standing up. Love the smell of grease, and the massive air on it. Deceivingly good.

9. Maverick. Sometimes good things come in short packages. But not often. (oh, that didn't write well....) You know what I mean.

10. Matterhorn Bobsleds. Because it's the best themed coaster in the world and reminds me of childhood wonder. And the left side has one great moment of ejector air in the back!

Honorary mention: Magnum. Sentimental favorite and the King of coasters for me for many years. It's the high school girlfriend. But it just ain't the same anymore.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby Chasehat » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:25 pm

TurnOfTheCentury wrote:I don't typically rank, much less in order, but will try to make this somewhat according to preference:

1. Steel Vengeance. I am an air time, steep hills, out-and-back junkie, and this coaster had all that (well, except the out and back part) AND cool inversions and twisty stuff as well. AND it was comfortable. Is there anything it can't do??! A dream ride.

2. El Toro: The opening drop, and then the ejector air on those two hills is heaven - a 1-2-3 punch to the gut. And then the low to the ground finale is excellent. It really does ride like a bucking bull, trying to throw you out of the train. My mind was blown when I first rode it. Naturally, I envisioned carbon copies of this all over the amusement park world. Naturally, I was dead wrong, as usual. No one can explain to me why (perhaps the Merlin people can?)

3. SFNE Superman/ Bizarro - For the air. And the scenery. And the shitty one-train operations, of course.

4. Wodan - Europa Park. I know there are "better" woodies out there, but there is just something about the crazed pacing of this that feels out of control and always puts a smile on my face (and a bruise on my ribs). The surprise hit of the park for me.

5. Millennium Force - I have come to love it over time (when I didn't at first). The view, the first drop, the length, the speed. It's "easy" in a good way. Even graceful . . . .

6. Iron Rattler - SFFT. Too short, but it does what it does well in that short period of time, and that twisting first drop is epic in the back seat, and then the final drop into the tunnel off the quarry wall is nirvana.

7. Thunderbolt - Kennywood. Love the use of the ravine, the air, and the beginning of it, especially. A classic. Rides like history.

8. Coaster - Vancouver Playland. Can almost ride it standing up. Love the smell of grease, and the massive air on it. Deceivingly good.

9. Maverick. Sometimes good things come in short packages. But not often. (oh, that didn't write well....) You know what I mean.

10. Matterhorn Bobsleds. Because it's the best themed coaster in the world and reminds me of childhood wonder. And the left side has one great moment of ejector air in the back!

Honorary mention: Magnum. Sentimental favorite and the King of coasters for me for many years. It's the high school girlfriend. But it just ain't the same anymore.

Our top 5s are so similar
Top 10 coasters
1. El Toro 2. Steel Vengeance
3. Superman the Ride 4. Maverick
5. Millennium Force 6. Storm Chaser
7. Boulder Dash 8. Wicked Cyclone
9. Fury 325 10. Diamondback

Have I mentioned how awesome donkeys are?

Postby JG-77 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:48 pm

In no particular order (note that I'm not too well traveled):

Tier 1 - Elite coasters:
El Toro
Phoenix
Skyrush
Maverick*

Tier 2 - Very good coasters:
Top Thrill Dragster*
Superman: Ride of Steel (SFA)
Goliath (SFGAm)
Nitro
Storm Runner

I'm only doing 9 because if I included "Tier 3" then the list would be too long

*While I have visited Cedar Point, it was just for a single afternoon/evening (long story), and it was before I was an enthusiast. Because of this, I only rode 8 coasters, and my rankings should be taken with a grain of salt. Note that while I did ride Millennium Force, my leg decided that on this ride would be a good time to randomly act up and cause pain, which kinda ruined my ride. Because of that, I'd feel wrong to make any sort of judgement on that coaster.
1. El Toro :airtime: 2. El Toro :airtimer: 3. El Toro :airtime: 4. El Toro :airtimer: --- I'm not good at ranking...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:17 am

After my latest trip, Steel Vengeance is definitely in the top ten. Phantom's Revenge maybe, could be just outside it. Great coaster.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby hoppedup » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:19 am

Update after last week's CP/KI combo:

1. Steel Vengeance
2. Mystic Timbers
3. Fury 325
4. Maverick
5. Phoenix
6. Skyrush
7. Lightning Rod
8. Afterburn
9. Wicked Cyclone
10. Millennium Force

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby Anac0nda » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:30 am

Update after SFOT and Hershey:

1. Helix
2. Skyrush
3. Expedition GeForce
4. Kärnan
5. iSpeed
6. Junker
7. Flug der Dämonen
8. Taron
9. Wildfire (Kolmården)
10. New Texas Giant

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby grsupercity » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:24 am

I feel like with every new park I attend my top 10 changes

Maverick
Fury
Lightning Run
Lightning Rod
Phantoms Revenge
Mako
Montu
Shivering Timbers
Goliath SFGAM
Storm Chaser

Some honorable mentions Manta SWO
Raging Bull
Kumba
Voyage
Afterburn
Best Wood Lightning Rod....Goliath SFGAM....Shivering Timbers....Storm Chaser...Voyage
Best Steel Maverick...Lighting Run.....Montu...Mako..Fury...Afterburn...Manta
Honorable mentions Kumba..Raging Bull..Legend..Cornball..M Force..Rapter..Mr Freeze

You know what....Way to many good coasters the best :lmao:

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby ArgoZ » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:17 pm

TurnOfTheCentury wrote:I don't typically rank, much less in order, but will try to make this somewhat according to preference:

Aside from Wooden and Thunderbolt (not top coasters IMO, but special to you, so I get it), your list is great! Matterhorn is my fav Disney coaster. Have you been on Phoenix (Playland Coaster like) or Intimidator 305 (Maverick on roids)?

I still love Coaster Grotto's top 20 feature. It includes all coaster logos to stare at as you reminisce about your favorites. My top 20. http://www.coastergrotto.com/top_20.jsp

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!