Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 239 - Festival of the Arts media day report!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby Philrad71 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:47 pm

Glad to hear no real damage in the Orlando area from Matthew.

I haven't really watched any news so not sure how bad New Smyrna got it. It's sad that my friends (married couple) from work just bought a place about a mile from the beaches there less than one month ago. This is (or was) going to be their retirement retreat in the winter once they leave the company in five years. I'm hoping that they tell me Monday that there wasn't any damage to the house, but I was worried when they said that it was one of the areas that took a pretty good wallop.

On another note, your food with the orangecello and limoncello cocktails - oh my. Luckily when I was reading this latest update, I was in the midst of eating a ham, swiss, onion, jalapeno omelette with a couple strips of bacon and toast for brunch so I wasn't "too" jealous. ;)

I think that I actually might have the ingredients to make both of those Italian cocktails so I might have to try them some night!

Girls don't like me because I can play RCT better than you

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:16 am

So anyone know when the festival ends? I've only been twice this year, and that's against my moral standards.
| |Alpengeist| |Cheetah Hunt| |Kumba| |Mako| |Intimidator 305| |
"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

I am the "Total Package"

Postby TPtomtom » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:29 am

It ends today. Better start driving now!

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:47 am

TPtomtom wrote:It ends today. Better start driving now!

"Yeah, I like coasters. Yes, I'm a kid. Don't know what the 211 means, but whatever." Check out my TR thread!

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby xstech25 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:59 am

With the announcement today that major changes are coming to Epcot, this confirms Disney is doubling down on what I call the "DCA effect." Its become clear Disney has purposely been holding off on building big new rides the past decade in order to do these massive renovations and expansions (DTD, DAK, DHS, and now Epcot). Itll be interesting to see what happens after all the current projects are complete.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby BotanicalStig » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:05 am

^Care to elaborate? I've been trying to figure out what you're talking about since yesterday, but as far as Google ccan tell me, there have been no announcements regarding EPCOT.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:58 am

BotanicalStig wrote:^Care to elaborate? I've been trying to figure out what you're talking about since yesterday, but as far as Google ccan tell me, there have been no announcements regarding EPCOT.

I can't find anything on it except for Screamscape reporting it as news late last night (note: this doesn't mean I'm taking it as news). Here ya go:

General Park News - (11/21/16) During a presentation Disney's Bob Chapek mentioned that Epcot would be the next park to undergo a "major transformation" in the near future. According to some of our sources, nothing is 100% set in stone yet for Epcot, but there are major plans in the works with a multi-year budget that is said to dwarf what Disney spent on fixing Disney California Adventure.

So what's rumored to be in the works? We've heard a number of things so far... including the obvious and long-in-the-tooth rumor about installing a brand new edition of "Illiuminations" to entertain park guests each and every night around World Showcase. Speaking of World Showcase... despite what people may be hoping for, I'm hearing that new country pavilions are NOT being planned right now. However, I am hearing that a new dark ride IS being planned for World Showcase that will be added into an existing pavilion. While I'm not sure exactly what this would be right now, perhaps the easiest idea may be to clone the Ratatouille dark ride that was built in Paris at the France pavilion, though I'm all for something brand new as well.

So with all that in mind, it seems obviously that the lion’s share of the budget will go towards a complete overhaul of the Future World side of the park, including some much needed overhauls to many of the existing pavilions. The rumor that has been getting the most attention latest has been a plan to build a Guardian of the Galaxy themed dark coaster ride to take the place of the Universe of Energy pavilion, and I can only assume this plan will likely move forwards sooner than later. Then to address the elephant in the room, the idle former Wonders of Life pavilion is also in dire need of being given a new purpose. Other projects I'm guessing we'll see is another upgrade to Spaceship Earth, maybe Mission: Space, fix up the old Innoventions/Communicore areas and time to try something new at the Imagination pavilion.
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Location: dimension not only of sight & sound but parabolic airtime hills/g-spot orgasms

Postby DirkFunk » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:30 am

xstech25 wrote:With the announcement today that major changes are coming to Epcot, this confirms Disney is doubling down on what I call the "DCA effect." Its become clear Disney has purposely been holding off on building big new rides the past decade in order to do these massive renovations and expansions (DTD, DAK, DHS, and now Epcot). Itll be interesting to see what happens after all the current projects are complete.

I don't think Disney ever plans to do massive renovations and expansions, they're forced into doing it because of market forces. US Parks attendance was down 10% in Q3 2016. The amount of constant cash expenditure required and the kind of business model EPCOT employs are somewhat unique, and truthfully, I'd suggest it is not a healthy one. They've exhausted the avenues they had, and now they're in a position where the amount of work that needs to be done has built up significantly over a period of many years. The cause is not the desire to spend $4 billion at once, it is an effect of not being able to find other parties willing to spend their money for Disney's attractions over an extended period.

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby BotanicalStig » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:56 am

Thanks for sharing coaster freak. I hope the rumors are true. Epcot has become so stale, we pretty much only go for food and shopping around the world showcase at this point.

Postby TheCoasterKid211 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:46 pm

coasterfreak101 wrote:So what's rumored to be in the works? We've heard a number of things so far... including the obvious and long-in-the-tooth rumor about installing a brand new edition of "Illiuminations" to entertain park guests each and every night around World Showcase.

Please don't change Illuminations in any way, shape or form. Given what they did to World of Color, I prefer the current version, thank you. :mickey:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!