Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 253 - Epcot Festival of the Holidays! New Christmas Event
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
The best thing about TPR is the donkeys.

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby ObeyTheShihTzu! » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:27 pm

SharkTums wrote:
Nrthwnd wrote:So, with a TON of Chip & Dale stuff available..... how's Elissa's wallet doing? :wink:

So far so good, only because I can't decide what to get!!!

When faced with a once-in-a-lifetime, life-altering decision like THIS, I say (as the Brits would) "GET THE LOT!" :b

Alice

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:37 pm

^ To this I say.....win a BIG lottery, first! ;)

Or have someone else, pay for it all.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:41 pm

^^I have to be careful with a big Japan trip this year again to budget for as well! :lover:

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:42 pm

^ Well, Japan will do you in, ea$y. :wink:

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby BelizeIt » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:11 am

Even if someone isn't a religious person, Disney certainly acknowledges that many who visit their parks are......So whether you believe or not, at least Disney supports everyone. Be it religious or not, gay or straight, etc... When you enter the Disney kingdom you get to ESCAPE into a magical world, free from politics, agendas, and the stress of most our lives....Thank God this Oasis from our reality exists. Walt created something wonderful for all of us to enjoy.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Sluggo77 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:21 pm

Looks like another great Disney event. Thanks for sharing!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:35 pm

Sluggo77 wrote:Looks like another great Disney event. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome! We had a lot of fun and will be going back again on Monday!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:09 pm

omg Between this Festival, and the Food & Wine Fest a month or so earlier, the decision is
going to be tough to pick between the two, when we finally plan the future WDW trip.

But I'm still leaning towards the more "festive" Festival.... like now, lol.:mickey:

The Halloween Events in Disney Parks, I have actually visited during a couple of the TPR
Tours, back in the past. Once for Tokyo, once for HKDL, and on my own in DLR back in 2016. I
think I am "Hallowe'en-ed" out, heh. Holiday Events/Decorations/FOOD/Drink would be a nice change.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:25 am

August 13th, 2017 saw the closure of Epcot's Universe of Energy (alongside the closure of The Great Movie Ride at Disney's Hollywood Studios) along with the opening of the new Mission: Space. The park is currently undergoing a multi-year transformation that will update the park with significant new attractions featuring popular characters in family-friendly experiences.

The Universe of Energy opened with Epcot on October 1st, 1982 with the first-of-its kind traveling theater technology, one that was used only once more for The Great Movie Ride. The original version of the show (featuring a more educational approach) ran from 1982 until 1996 before Ellen's Energy Adventure took over the pavilion from 1996 to 2017.

Ellen's Energy Adventure was another one of those often under-appreciated attractions. Many considered it to be unpopular due to the fact that it rarely had a wait time but that was attributed to the ride's insanely high capacity. The ride has since closed to be replaced by a new Guardians of the Galaxy-themed coaster but I figured I'd compile a few photos I took from the ride's last day of operation (as well as including a look at the new version of Mission: Space's Green Mission that opened that same day).
0.JPG
The mirrored tile and solar panels of the Universe of Energy pavilion were always a notable statement for the building's design.
1.JPG
Time's almost up...
2.JPG
The pre-show carried the same multi-screen format as the ride films.
3.JPG
I was always a fan of the writing and wit of the show.
4.JPG
A dream sequence!
5.JPG
Definitely old school Jeopardy!
6.JPG
Alex Trebek, Stupid Judy, Albert Einstein and Stupid Ellen. (All character names from the ride's story.)
7.JPG
The piggy bank? No, the BIG BANG!
8.JPG
The reveal of the dinosaurs with the dramatic lighting against the mural walls of the pavilion's ride path were pretty excellent.
9.JPG
Sunrise came quickly in this scene...
10.JPG
Vehicles moved in the rotating theaters in unison but dispatched in trains of two through the dinosaur portion of the ride.
11.JPG
These two along with many other dinosaur animatronics throughout the ride were originally designed for the Ford Magic Skyway attraction at the 1964 World's Fair. Those animatronics were later relocated to Disneyland as a part of the Primeval World portion of the Disneyland Railroad. These same dinosaurs were built again for the Universe of Energy and the Primeval World portion of the Western River Railroad in Tokyo Disneyland.
12.JPG
Jar Jar Binks?
13.JPG
Dive! Bill! Dive! Bill! Dive! BILL!
14.JPG
Einstein is nowhere, relatively speaking.
15.JPG
The answer for Final Jeopardy.
16.JPG
Just needed to figure out how to use this clicker-thingy.
17.JPG
Alex Trebek: "Once again, the answer is: This is the one source of power that will never run out. Time's up, players. Let's see how well you did. Judy, we'll start with you. You wrote down ... nothing."
18.JPG
Judy: "That's correct, Alex, because there is no answer."

Alex Trebek: "Well, actually, you're wrong. Let's take a look at your wager. Oh, that's too bad. You risked everything you had, and that means you lose $17,800, and you wind up with <buzzer sounds> nothing. Let's go down to Ellen now, and see what she came up with as the response to our Final Jeopardy clue. Ellen?"
19.JPG
Ellen: "Uh, what is brain power, Alex?"

Alex Trebek: "You are correct, and your wager? You too risked everything, but you double your score to $35,600. That makes you, Ellen, our new Jeopardy! champion. Congratulations."
20.JPG
Jeopardy! Announcer: "Be sure to join us tomorrow, as Jeopardy! dream sequence week continues."
21.JPG
Ellen: "So, that's how I became an energy expert. Again, expert may not be the exact right word. More expertish. Anyway, I've gotta go. LOOK OUT FOR THE DINOSAUR! Ha ha ha, kidding. I'm a kidder. Bye bye now."
22.JPG
One final look at the Universe of Energy building... It will look considerably different when the pavilion opens with the new Guardians of the Galaxy attraction.
23.JPG
Over at Mission: Space the attraction reopened from a brief refurbishment with a new Green Mission film, a reanimated Orange Mission film and an entirely new set of pre-shows.
24.JPG
Here is the new logo for the Green Mission that includes an orbit of Earth.
25.JPG
Here is the Orange Mission logo, with this mission still sending guests to Mars.
26.JPG
The queue has been updated slightly with some new imagery...
27.JPG
As well as updated entrances for each of the missions.
28.JPG
A look at the Green Mission entrance.
29.JPG
There's a new Capcom which sadly means, no more Gary Sinese... Or rather, almost no more Gary Sinese.
30.JPG
There is still a reference to lunar orbital insertion.
31.JPG
The new Green Mission, less-intense ride experience has been designed to be more accessible to younger guests and new booster seats have been designed to allow the youngest guests reaching the new minimum height restriction to ride.
32.JPG
In a few moments of the pre-show experiences some of the original animation from the attraction can be seen (along with a watermark in the bottom right hand corner of the archived video that features the Horizons logo).
33.JPG
There's a new Flight Commander too.
34.JPG
As well as a new pre-boarding video for the Green Mission side, now instructing guests on how to use the new booster seats on the ride.
35.JPG
During your flight around Earth you see the Aurora Borealis.
36.JPG
And as you approach your return to Florida, you can see a hurricane in the gulf.
37.JPG
Still not as smooth a landing as intended...
38.JPG
But congratulations, you made it!
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby Dombot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Wow, four months later? How bad is your procrastination Adam? ;)

Cool pics. I really liked UoE, sad to see it gone. Insanely hyped for the new coaster though.
1. Mako 2. Kumba 3. Cheetah Hunt 4. Space Mountain (WDW) 5. Mine Blower

"Sometimes I mistake this for a universe that cares." ~Randall Munroe

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!