Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 256: "Guardians" to be among the longest indoor coasters
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby CoasterInk » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:17 am

The majority of the ride holds up... I love the ride as it is my 2nd favorite in Epcot, but the touch screen part of the ride seems incredibly out of date (Guess I'm just used to todays tech). Also, I've always hoped they would do something else with the lights at the end of the ride... they are cool don't get me wrong, but they could do something better with the space.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:16 am

CoasterInk wrote:the touch screen part of the ride seems incredibly out of date

Really!?!? Those screens are still very high resolution even for being 9 years old and the animation is super cute and fun. I don't even see it being "incredibly" out of date at all. I mean, one of my MacBookPro's that I use every day is only 2 years younger than those screens, and I'm going to assume that Disney used the highest-end tech possible at that time considering they were going to be touched thousands of times per day, so really I don't think they are that out of date at all!

I honestly don't get where you're coming from on this one.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Bubba » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:07 am

robbalvey wrote:

Really!?!? Those screens are still very high resolution even for being 9 years old and the animation is super cute and fun. I don't even see it being "incredibly" out of date at all. I mean, one of my MacBookPro's that I use every day is only 2 years younger than those screens, and I'm going to assume that Disney used the highest-end tech possible at that time considering they were going to be touched thousands of times per day, so really I don't think they are that out of date at all!

I have to agree, although I barely had my first Epcot visit two years ago so I have nothing to compare it too. I love the huge globe in the lobby once you exit the ride as it shows where everyone is visiting from. My family thought it was pretty cool, and I made the most atrocious face ever for the video that had us laughing. The word dated didn't pop in my head at all. I could see people wanting them updated especially if you visit often, but I don't think they are dated.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:08 am

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2018/02/d23j-update-guardians-of-the-galaxy-at-epcot/

Minutes ago at D23 Expo Japan, we shared a first look at Epcot’s highly-anticipated “Guardians of the Galaxy”-themed attraction – and yes, it’s a roller coaster!

With the “Guardians of the Galaxy”-inspired coaster, we’re going big. This one-of-a-kind family attraction will be one of the world’s longest enclosed roller coasters when it’s added to Future World at Epcot. It’ll feature a unique story currently being created by Walt Disney Imagineering and include a new innovative ride system that’s guaranteed to “wow” guests.

The “Guardians of the Galaxy”-inspired coaster is part of our ongoing work to transform Epcot into a place that’s more family, more relevant, more timeless and more Disney. “As we build upon its core mission of optimism and hope to inspire the world, the real will become fantastic and the fantastic will become real—in whole new ways at Epcot,” Bob Chapek, Chairman of Walt Disney Parks & Resorts, said.

The attraction will open in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort in 2021. Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for future updates.
guard239846-624x352.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 am

robbalvey wrote:

Obviously I have a full trip report coming eventually where I'll probably go into a little more detail but I will say that we rode Spaceship Earth expecting it to be totally dated and corny since I hadn't been on the thing in decades and I knew it was very old but I was pleasantly surprised. I think the ride is holding up fine. We really enjoyed it.

What did they have on the final descent of the ride before they had these touch screens? It's been so long since my last ride on it (prior to our ride in January), that I don't even remember.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:58 am

robbalvey wrote:

I always thought they were going for a "retro" Tomorrowland look with that animation, which doesn't go out of style. I like it.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:59 am.

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:35 pm

^There were previously some small additional show scenes with static sets that you'd pass by. Honestly not a huge loss compared to what was there before.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby prospekt88 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:47 pm

They seem to be emphasizing the family friendly aspect of the Guardians coaster. It sounds like it might be almost a dark ride/coaster combo, something along the lines of the Harry Potter Gringotts Coaster. Would love to see Disney's that on that type of ride.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:07 pm

These Disney Parks Blog "news updates" are kind of hilarious to me, have any of the ones released today provided anything truly new or insightful? I mean this Guardians one looks like the exact same art/announcement from D23 last year, the only difference is they added the phrase "yes it is a coaster" hahaha.

It all kind of reminds me of the way movies are promoted these days, here's a teaser for the upcoming teaser, then there is the teaser trailer, then the preview of the official preview, and the official announcement of the official trailer release date, then the official release of the official trailer

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:27 pm

I'm especially interested in the fact that it's going to be one of the longest indoor coasters in the world. I can't wait until more details are released on what type of ride system it will be.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Voyage
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Top 5 Parks- Knoebels, Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Dollywood

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!