Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 256: "Guardians" to be among the longest indoor coasters
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:32 pm

I believe Orange Streak at MOA is the longest indoor coaster at 2,680 ft (820 m). It's an odd stat to throw out, but it's exciting that we're seeing more roller coasters at Disney parks.
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:17 pm

PKI Jizzman wrote:I believe Orange Streak at MOA is the longest indoor coaster at 2,680 ft (820 m). It's an odd stat to throw out, but it's exciting that we're seeing more roller coasters at Disney parks.

It is an odd stat to throw out, but makes me think the coaster will be less than 3,000 feet.

Mindbender is the longest, and the new Gerstlauer at American Dream's new Nick park will be over 3,200ft by the time this is built. All the Space Mountains are longer than 3,000 feet, but none are listed as indoors on rcdb.com.

If the coaster is going to be longer than Space Mountain I think I would have been stated.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 pm

It's interesting you all went to track length with the 'longest' comment, and I immediately thought of the Europa indoor coasters of Euro Sat and Euro Mir or USJ's Space Fantasy and thought about how long in DURATION they are.

Nothing beats Cali coasters

Postby chickenbowl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:42 pm

larrygator wrote:
PKI Jizzman wrote:I believe Orange Streak at MOA is the longest indoor coaster at 2,680 ft (820 m). It's an odd stat to throw out, but it's exciting that we're seeing more roller coasters at Disney parks.

It is an odd stat to throw out, but makes me think the coaster will be less than 3,000 feet.

Mindbender is the longest, and the new Gerstlauer at American Dream's new Nick park will be over 3,200ft by the time this is built. All the Space Mountains are longer than 3,000 feet, but none are listed as indoors on rcdb.com.

If the coaster is going to be longer than Space Mountain I think I would have been stated.

Edmonton's Mindbender is 4198ft long.
Chasing Airtime
Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Medusa Steel|Mega-Lite
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Voyage

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:57 pm

SharkTums wrote:It's interesting you all went to track length with the 'longest' comment, and I immediately thought of the Europa indoor coasters of Euro Sat and Euro Mir or USJ's Space Fantasy and thought about how long in DURATION they are.

Eurosat (about 3,000 ft) and The Rock and Roller Coasters (about 3,400 ft) are not listed on rcdb as indoor. Space Fantasy and Dinosaur Mountain (both about 2,000 ft) are not included as indoor on rcdb.

I have learned that rcdb indoor listing are not very inclusive.

EDIT: I did not realize rcdb had different listings for enclosed versus indoor coasters.
Last edited by larrygator on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:09 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:07 pm

SharkTums wrote:It's interesting you all went to track length with the 'longest' comment, and I immediately thought of the Europa indoor coasters of Euro Sat and Euro Mir or USJ's Space Fantasy and thought about how long in DURATION they are.

Yeah, I agree with this. I can guarantee you that Disney doesn't think like the typical statistics spewing roller coaster nerd and it might end up being a super short track length with a really long "show" element! :lol:

Also, keep in mind they said "One of the longest..." so even if it was the 10th longest in track length, that is still "one of the longest..."

MUST BUY RMC MERCHANDISE!!!!

Postby gerstlaueringvar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:00 pm

It is also possible that Disney is building the longest indoor coaster but say “one of” for now in order to avoid the awkwardness of having a longer indoor coaster opening somewhere else before 2021.

Anyway, it’s Disney. Coaster nerd statistics don’t matter and it will be a great ride!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:11 pm

^^ It seems to me, that with a lot of the bigger "indoor attractions" that Disney does (i.e. Indy Jones Adventure, Pirates...)
the timing seems to start once you have either boarded your ride vehicle, or gone into one (or more) pre-show rooms
that are part of that attraction's experience (i.e Rock'n'Roller) with the ride itself, being The Finale of it all, etc. Or entered
the actual show building itself, which a lot of times, includes the queue within it.

Whatever the timing of it all is, the whole thing is certainly going to be something to enter into,
and experience, considering the size of space that Energy took up, screens, animatronics and all,. :wink:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby CoasterLover » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:55 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:I'm especially interested in the fact that it's going to be one of the longest indoor coasters in the world. I can't wait until more details are released on what type of ride system it will be.

I dunno, I smell a lot of marketing hype on this one....

First, the quote is "one of the world’s longest enclosed roller coasters". The "one of" portion leaves a LOT of room for wiggle. The fact that they don't specifically say "the world's longest" and instead say "one of the world's longest" implies that is is not the world's longest, but what does that mean? Top 2? Top 5? Top 10 longest? It really could fall into any of those categories.

Next, they specifically say "enclosed" as opposed to "indoors". Again, this is all marketing, but to me, enclosed implies a coaster that is contained within one building specifically designed to contain that ride and only that ride and essentially nothing else. This would include coasters like Space Mountain, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Flight of Fear, etc. However, in my opinion, this would NOT include indoor roller coasters that are part of a larger covered area such as the coasters in the Mall of America or the West Edmonton Mall. Going to RCDB, if you specifically look for coasters classified as "enclosed" and sort by length, 9 of the top 10 enclosed coasters (by length) are Disney coasters (2. Space Mountain [DL], 3. Space Mountain [TDL], 4. Hyperspace Mountain [HKD], 5. & 6 the two Rock 'n' Roller Coasters, 7. Hyperspace Mountain [DLP], 8. & 9 . Space Mountain [WDW], 10. TRON).

As such saying "one of the world’s longest enclosed roller coasters" could literally just mean "an enclosed coaster of similar length to all the other indoor coasters we have here on property and at Disney parks around the world"...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 pm

I am BEGGING for this coaster to get the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit treatment only theme it to Star-Lord's sh*tty Walkman (or Zune) and make the only options 1970's Cat Stevens and Cheap Trick songs that don't fit the situation at all. Come on Imagineers... make it happen. It would be the most "Guardians of the Galaxy" thing ever. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!