Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 253 - Epcot Festival of the Holidays! New Christmas Event
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

Postby SharkTums » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:11 pm

Joe Schwartz wrote:Thanks for the review Robb, I hadn't heard of these events before.

Does it work like a buffet, where you go to each food/wine station? Is there any limit to the number of times you can visit the same station?

In addition to visiting more than once, when it was less busy I would go back and ask for double or without something or with extra something and they were happy to oblige!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:51 pm

^ :lover: :lover: :br

I looked, but couldn't find...how long does this event go, for an evening, Robb or Elissa?
Curious me.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:30 am

^Three hours. 7:30pm - 10:30pm. You can get more expensive tickets that allow you in at 7:15pm. They also make an announcement just before 10pm if you want to go outside to see Illuminations.

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:58 am

In case anyone's wondering, I just moved some posts related to an unsubstantiated rumor into this thread: http://themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1831363#p1831363.

Knock yourselves out in there. ;)
Last edited by cfc on Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:59 am.

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby Zero One » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:44 pm

It's after Thanksgiving so that means it is time for the 2017 EPCOT International Festival of the Holidays! The Gardens are nice and Food & Wine is fine but I think this the EPCOT Festival that is most festive! In addition to the Christmas trees and decorations there are musicians, food booths, storytellers, fireworks, and of course the famous Candlelight Processional.

Today let's take a look at the Storytellers. These short (5-10 min) shows around the World Showcase introduce guests to holiday traditions and customs at the various countries. Walking around the world (with a hot spiced wine) watching these shows will get you into the spirit of the holidays.

small-7170.jpg
Epcot gets special holiday displays

small-7173.jpg
The EPCOT tree features greetings in many languages

small-7156.jpg
The "Joyful" group sings gospel music at the Future World stage.

small-7176.jpg
In Mexico the new margarita stand has opened and seems very popular

small-7177.jpg
A bit of a color has appeared over the street. I really like it. It's a little detail that makes this small part of the street a little more interesting.

small-7179.jpg
A closer look shows that the flags are scenes from Disney/Pixar's Coco.

small-7213.jpg
There are now two competing mariachi bands for two competing holidays. El Mariachi Coco de Santa Cecilia plays music from Coco which celebrates the Day of the Dead.

small-7235.jpg
Meanwhile the regular Mariachis play traditional Mexican music with a Christmas flavor.

small-7238.jpg
Learn the story of the poinsettia gift at this performance

small-7185.jpg
Over in Norway we meet Sigrid who explains the local Christmas traditions. But she is interrupted by a mischievous gnome she cannot see called Julenissen.

small-7206.jpg
With the help of the guests we help her believe in Julenissen, just in time for Christmas. This is my favorite of the holiday shows and I highly recommend you check it out.

small-7225.jpg
In China two acrobats perform the lion dance for good luck in the new year

small-7260.jpg
A non-holiday detour in Germany... they've added some more trains to the model layout. It's not 100% authentic though... the Golden Pass is in Switzerland!

small-7252.jpg
No Nutcracker show in Germany this year but you can get custom ornaments

small-7268.jpg
Inside the American Adventure there are gingerbread monuments.

small-7270.jpg
You can also enjoy Christmas carols as sung by the Voices of Liberty. This is another highly recommended show.

small-7362.jpg
In Japan you will learn about Daruma dolls and how the Japanese celebrate the new year.

small-7373.jpg
Celebrate Hanukkah with "Mostly Kosher" and their Klezmer music.

small-7289.jpg
In Morocco the band and a belly dancer entertain guests

small-7295.jpg
This is advertised as a holiday how in the guide map but there isn't very much more than the normal show

small-7303.jpg
Speaking of which, you should know that most of the regular Epcot entertainment is still ongoing during the holiday festival. Good news for us since there is even more to see. Not so much for this poor guy who keeps getting in precarious situations.

small-7307.jpg
Giant ornaments in Paris

small-7308.jpg
The Arc de Triomphe too

small-7309.jpg
Even Belle is dressed for Christmas in France!

small-7320.jpg
And a good thing she did because Pere Noel is just a few feet away explaining the holiday traditions of rural France

small-7391.jpg
In the United Kingdom Father Christmas will tell you about various traditions from England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Wales. He will also guide everyone in singing some UK Christmas carols.

small-7392.jpg
A lucky young volunteer can help him and will get a small magic gift to take home. This is another show that you shouldn't miss.

small-7425.jpg
In Italy we have La Befana the gift giving witch who visits children on the eve of the Epiphany.

small-7442.jpg
Finally it wouldn't be Christmas at EPCOT without mentioning the Candlelight Processional. This show dates all the way back to Disneyland and Walt himself. At EPCOT the show goes on 3 times a night every night with local high school choirs, a Disney orchestra, and a celebrity narrator.

small-7458.jpg
Good night from EPCOT. Thanks for reading!
Orlando Theme Park Photographer | Twitter: @cchard | Instagram: @cchardav | Flickr

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:12 pm

I've been strolling thru various online web reports, where there is constant questioning about WHY Disney has put the entryway to the France pavilion's new Ratatouille attraction, at the side of the country's current buildings (that hold the movie and the eateries and shops), and then around the back of it and towards the new attraction's show building. And all of the back part will now be themed, including the back of the current show building.

My take on why, is the new gondola system will be above and passing by France, when it descends towards the station at the International Gateway, the side entrance to EPCOT. And it's probably too close for Disney to let the riders see all the backstage stuff, etc. So they decided to "create more of Paris" which will look more pleasing to the riders as they head towards the station.

That, and it was probably too costly, to go through the gift shop to it (a more direct route).
And the back part still had to be themed to make the new attraction work.

My five cents. :mickey:

P.S. I also realize that they want to give the new attraction it's own "entryway" rather than through one of the existing buildings in France. And literally, going around the existing buildings appears to be the only way to go, to make it right. Which IMhO makes it a neat way to work with the existing show buildings and make the country more "atmospheric" to wander through and around. Besides it's attractions, and shops and eateries. And my All Time Bucket List Attraction Wish for the Showcase, is an actual (finally) second Alice In Wonderland ride for the UK. And I mean The Original Disney Alice, not the Tim Burton one. After all these years of the original ride in DL being still open and still ridden...why not another one? It's the one true attraction in the Disney Parks Universe that's never been repeated in another Disney park - ever. :sad:
Ratatouille3.jpg
This could be "the view" from the gondola, descending towards the Int.Gateway Station. Ratatouille's in the back there.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby BlahBlahson » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:06 pm

^ I love the decision to do the new Entryway for Ratatouille. It will certainly be popular so the queue will be needed, but also it's one of the very few things going in to the Orlando Parks that literally won't be replacing anything. It's just all-new!

That said, ride is a bit overrated, I hope our version has more set immersion vs the more modern technique "replace everything with big movie screens".
Remember: Get out there and RIDE!

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:27 am

BlahBlahson wrote:That said, ride is a bit overrated, I hope our version has more set immersion vs the more modern technique "replace everything with big movie screens".

I would agree with that. I came away from the ride liking it more than I thought I would, but I honestly went in with low expectations. If anything I think it will serve as a well needed addition to World Showcase and the trend to bring more actual rides to that part of the park continues. With everything else going on at WDW: Star Wars, Tron, Guardians, etc, I feel like Ratatouille will be a solid "B" ride compared to the rest and part of me wishes we were getting whatever the new Beauty and the Beast ride will be at Tokyo instead, but I'm still very happy this is making it's way to Epcot as we need more rides there.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:37 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!