Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 612: "The Year of Shows & Festivals" details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby thrillrider » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:48 pm

As others have mentioned...Take the cave tour.
341 steel coasters
114 wood coasters

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Kevin Long » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:28 pm

I was at the park during moonlight madness and it is rather strange that there is very little theme lighting for the non christmas season in the park. I know this is due to the park closing most days and weeks before night actually falls, so a lot of lighting is not really needed. it is rather jarring though. It's like walking in a neighborhood at night where everyone has porch lights on. The buildings and signage are not really lit.

In comparison with other parks, it's virtually a near blackout situation. It's a shame because the park is so beautiful and would be even more so with lighting on more buildings and attractions and scenery. I am sure with a little trial and error SDC could come up with a period style of lighting that would look good yet not be too modern for the park.

my two cents

Kevin

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:18 pm

^ I was stunned how dark it was Memorial Day weekend!

But I sort of thought it helped with the old time theme. The only problem is that my first day at the park was an evening and it was a royal pain to get around. :lol:
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Remember that until very recently SDC was never open at night except during Christmas, and it's very bright with the Christmas lights. Sunset in July is after 8 pm, and with the park staying open until 10 most days in Moonlight Madness, it's not dark for that long. I doubt it's worth the expense for a couple hours a day for a couple of weeks.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:51 pm

I've never had a problem with the lighting... but then again I've been going to this park my entire life and could probably get around blindfolded. They used to have a lot of Victorian lighting from back when they were experimenting with moving the theme of the park forward in time slightly. I think they are pretty conservative with lighting because they don't want to ruin the ambiance with harsh lighting or drown out the Christmas lights. I agree there's probably a better middle ground though.

As for the announcement, this is pretty interesting and a change of pace for "off years" between major projects. Usually they just do a typical media release in early November when season passes go on sale. In the year following a coaster, they almost always focus on touting their festivals, new food options, and maybe a new show or something during one of the festivals. This could just be them getting in line with standard park social media practices, or it could mean there is something bigger coming.

Luminights could be what they are drumming up a big announcement for. DW's has done so well, SDC's version is something I am really looking forward to, even if I do love the usual SDC fall emphasis on crafts and cowboy stuff.

This is also the last year for It's a Wonderful Life at SDC - it might be moving to the showboat next year. That leaves a void for another big Christmas production. The other festivals need refreshment too, especially with the competition now mirroring a lot of what made this stuff unique back when SDC started doing it.

I'm expecting a ton of festival announcements, basically. I would be very surprised if a new ride announcement sneaks in here, but anything is possible.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby Kevin Long » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:I've never had a problem with the lighting... but then again I've been going to this park my entire life and could probably get around blindfolded. They used to have a lot of Victorian lighting from back when they were experimenting with moving the theme of the park forward in time slightly. I think they are pretty conservative with lighting because they don't want to ruin the ambiance with harsh lighting or drown out the Christmas lights. I agree there's probably a better middle ground though.

I agree I would not like industrial lighting or anything that detracts, but there should be even a temp solution that would look good. maybe even kerosene type lamps retrofitted with LEDs - on the buildings.... it just a shame that you can't see the place in the dark when it is not christmas.

they need something
lantern.jpg

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:05 am

:nina:

I mean they work so well on the cave tour.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby tinaalsgirl » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:29 am

So, SDC announced its plans for 2019 this morning. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to wait for a TPR rep to post the press release before saying anything about it? I'm gonna put SDC's link for the 2019 overview page, but please delete it if I'm jumping the gun on this.

https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/2019Overview

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:06 pm

I'm honestly almost as excited for all the shows and stuff next year as I was for Time Traveler. This stuff might fly under the radar for most people on this site, but it's these kind of things that help make SDC unique and special.

I am really looking forward to the big pirate production this summer. It might sound cheesy, but if they are spending a million bucks on it, it's going to be quite the show. SDC has some amazing shows already, and this is the biggest non-Christmas show they've put together in a long time.

The way they are integrating the pumpkin festival sounds perfect. They are carefully introducing it to the park in a thoughtful manner so that it compliments the existing fall stuff instead of just taking DW's concept and splashing it in.

I'm also a bluegrass fan, so getting more and better bluegrass is awesome news to me.

All-in-all, I'll probably be at SDC a lot more than usual next year.

Postby Shavethewhales » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:11 pm

Kevin Long wrote:
Shavethewhales wrote:I've never had a problem with the lighting... but then again I've been going to this park my entire life and could probably get around blindfolded. They used to have a lot of Victorian lighting from back when they were experimenting with moving the theme of the park forward in time slightly. I think they are pretty conservative with lighting because they don't want to ruin the ambiance with harsh lighting or drown out the Christmas lights. I agree there's probably a better middle ground though.

I agree I would not like industrial lighting or anything that detracts, but there should be even a temp solution that would look good. maybe even kerosene type lamps retrofitted with LEDs - on the buildings.... it just a shame that you can't see the place in the dark when it is not christmas.

they need something
lantern.jpg

Oooh, I just came across this on Reddit. Should pass this along to SDC:
https://www.reddit.com/r/inTheKnowInnovation/comments/9po8sm/the_latest_innovation_in_led_bulbs/
https://rigalshop.com/products/led-flame-effect-flickering-fire-light-bulb-with-gravity-sensor

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!