Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 599: Duck Boat Accident Discussion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 5 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:03 pm

^ Oh yeah, don't think it's anything like Cedar Point. It's totally in the mountains AND on a peninsula. It's a few hundred feet above the lake, due to VERY steep bluffs that make for wonderful coaster locations.

As for the Branson Fun Park, my son and I went by there yesterday afternoon, and one guy was on a cherry picker working on Windstorm, while parts of the other big coaster were on a truck. We ended up skipping it. Totally would have given them $40 if they had had those two running. Disappointing; Branson really does need some low cost, family friendly activities, and this really fit that niche.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby thedlr » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:13 pm

Bummer about America's Fun Park. I saw the post earlier as we were about to head to dinner. I decided to drive by anyway and saw their sign saying "closed today."

Oh well... SDC tomorrow! (And Saturday)

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:21 am

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/missouri/article215757310.html

Kansas City Star wrote:Not quite two weeks after a duck boat sank during a storm and killed 17 on Table Rock Lake near Branson, Mo., a lawsuit filed in federal court alleges that the companies involved in the incident knew the boats were unsafe, knew bad weather was ahead and put profits ahead of safety.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of families of several victims in the July 19 disaster, accuses Ripley Entertainment, Ride The Ducks of Branson, Herschend Family Entertainment and other defendants of negligence, wrongful death and product liability.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:13 am

garyman6 wrote:I just returned from my first trip to SDC and I have to say that I absolutely loved the park!! The ride ops were great, the food was great, the scenery, the rides, the staff, everything I experienced was top notch. I've read some of the comments made recently about flooded mine and fire in the hole. Yes, they need some TLC! but as a first time rider I really enjoyed them alot. I was there for a day and a half and we didn't even see one show but we never waited in line for more than 30 min and that was on the river rapids ride. It was very hot! I appreciated the water misters around the park and the heavily wooded terrain. Very few times did we have to walk in direct sunlight. I came from Minnesota just to ride Time Traveler and it did not disappoint. The station was air conditioned, the train cars were beautiful and very comfortable to sit on and the ride itself was so unique. It was down once while we were there but it's a new ride, all new rides have bugs that need to be worked out. My biggest surprise was Outlaw Run. I wondered why the leg restraints but after riding it I now understand! So much force and speed and super smooth. The rest of the coaster line up was also pretty great. Wildfire has such an amazing view from the top! Powder Keg has a great launch and even Thunderation was really a fun mine train coaster. I thought the park had a pretty descent line up of flat ride although they could use one or two more.
Branson should be thanking their lucky stars for SDC!! The town itself was O.K. if you like sitting in traffic and looking at all the attractions. I was really surprised to see several old closed down attractions and hotels.
I came back to Minnesota and have been raving about SDC and telling everyone that they should go! I'm telling you local folks that you have a gem of a park. Yes, it needs some TLC but its a winner. My home park is a Cedar Fair park, Valleyfair! It's a nice park but pales in comparison to the charm that SDC has.

The strip has actually got better in the past couple of years. The lighting package around Time Traveler at night is very nice. Can't wait till later in the year to catch it at night again. The bluegrass version of Clocks by Coldplay is my favorite played while in queue. Thunderation at night is like Expedition Everest, another experience. Well, all the coasters are really.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby bachir » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:24 am

ElvisLuv wrote:
garyman6 wrote:I just returned from my first trip to SDC and I have to say that I absolutely loved the park!! The ride ops were great, the food was great, the scenery, the rides, the staff, everything I experienced was top notch. I've read some of the comments made recently about flooded mine and fire in the hole. Yes, they need some TLC! but as a first time rider I really enjoyed them alot. I was there for a day and a half and we didn't even see one show but we never waited in line for more than 30 min and that was on the river rapids ride. It was very hot! I appreciated the water misters around the park and the heavily wooded terrain. Very few times did we have to walk in direct sunlight. I came from Minnesota just to ride Time Traveler and it did not disappoint. The station was air conditioned, the train cars were beautiful and very comfortable to sit on and the ride itself was so unique. It was down once while we were there but it's a new ride, all new rides have bugs that need to be worked out. My biggest surprise was Outlaw Run. I wondered why the leg restraints but after riding it I now understand! So much force and speed and super smooth. The rest of the coaster line up was also pretty great. Wildfire has such an amazing view from the top! Powder Keg has a great launch and even Thunderation was really a fun mine train coaster. I thought the park had a pretty descent line up of flat ride although they could use one or two more.
Branson should be thanking their lucky stars for SDC!! The town itself was O.K. if you like sitting in traffic and looking at all the attractions. I was really surprised to see several old closed down attractions and hotels.
I came back to Minnesota and have been raving about SDC and telling everyone that they should go! I'm telling you local folks that you have a gem of a park. Yes, it needs some TLC but its a winner. My home park is a Cedar Fair park, Valleyfair! It's a nice park but pales in comparison to the charm that SDC has.

The strip has actually got better in the past couple of years. The lighting package around Time Traveler at night is very nice. Can't wait till later in the year to catch it at night again. The bluegrass version of Clocks by Coldplay is my favorite played while in queue. Thunderation at night is like Expedition Everest, another experience. Well, all the coasters are really.

Actually enjoyed quite a few songs in the TT queue. It'd be great if a loop showed up somewhere on-line

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby sdcfan88 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:28 am

Maybe it is too soon to post but quite a few speculate 2020 will be the next big addition to the park, and seeing the success with the large investment made on Time Traveler, do you think SDC will get another major coaster or a themed area? What and why? If not 2020 ...when?

Personal preference I am still hoping for is something new from B&M, GCI, or even another Mack of some variety. It really makes me wonder on the latter as it seems like Brad and crew at SDC have developed a good working relationship with the guys at Mack Rides which could build on the success of Time Traveler. Would it be too farfetched to see a park invest in two major attractions (coasters) from the same company within a decades time?
Last edited by sdcfan88 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:16 pm.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby grsupercity » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:56 am

Dollywood is building that new family suspended coaster. I hope that opens the door to working with Vekoma more. Vekoma has a large portfolio of products available. I can picture a massive hyper screaming through the Ozarks
Best Wood Lightning Rod....Goliath SFGAM....Shivering Timbers....Storm Chaser...Voyage
Best Steel Maverick...Lighting Run.....Montu...Mako..Fury...Afterburn...Manta
Honorable mentions Kumba..Raging Bull..Legend..Cornball..M Force..Rapter..Mr Freeze

You know what....Way to many good coasters the best :lmao:

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:08 am

Last edited by ytterbiumanalyst on Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:11 am.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:10 am

sdcfan88 wrote: Would it be too farfetched to see a park invest in two major attractions from the same company within a decades time?

Um...River Blast (2010) and Time Traveler (2018). I'd say the company is open to the idea of buying two major rides from Mack within a decade of each other.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby MidwestThemeParks » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:51 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
sdcfan88 wrote: Would it be too farfetched to see a park invest in two major attractions from the same company within a decades time?

Um...River Blast (2010) and Time Traveler (2018). I'd say the company is open to the idea of buying two major rides from Mack within a decade of each other.

SDC also built Powder Keg in 2005 and the Barn Swing in 2007 both from S&S.

And if we’re talking about any park-Dollywood added Mystery Mine in 2007 and Firechaser Express in 2014 both from Gerstlauer. Cedar Point also has many examples- Millenium Force (2000), Wicked Twister (2002), Top Thrill Dragster (2003), Maverick (2007), and Shoot the Rapids (2010) all from Intamin and then Gatekeeper (2013), Rougarou (2015), and Valravn (2016) from B&M.

So there are many examples of parks buying multiple rides from the same company in just a few years. But, I would still prefer SDC go with another B&M before getting another Mack coaster.
Total Coasters: 52
Total Rides: 116

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!