Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 599: Duck Boat Accident Discussion
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby humphreyhawk » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:32 pm

A few points to make about this tragic situation,

1. Two boats where in the water during the storm not too far apart. The lead boat had just made it to shore as the 2nd one was taken over by water. I'm going to assume that the Captain of the 2nd boat was assuming they too would make the last stretch to the shore like the one in front of it.
2. As mid westerners know....those bow echo thunderstorms hit fast. You can have blue skies one minute and full blown storm 2 minutes later. That is no excuse with the situation....I'm curious how bad the weather was when the entered the water. No doubt their was plenty of warning given about the storm.
3. The morning after the disaster....Ripley's CEO gave interviews to the press including one on national TV. I got to give him some credit for his leadership post accident. It would have been easy for him to hide behind a generic statement. It was obvious he was shook up and devastated that it happened....even admitted that they should not have been on the lake.
4. Hindsight being 20/20....they should have put the life jackets on and abandoned ship before taking on water. But again....they where getting close to shore, the other boat just made it, and it took on water fast. Just a horrible situation.
I do not think it means what you think it means

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby sdcfan88 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:41 pm

The DUKW was raised today. The first thing which was very apparent and damning was the fact that nearly all the life jackets were intact and still mounted to the rack of the vessel. http://www.ky3.com/content/news/PICTURES-Sunken-duck-boat-raised-from-Missouri-lake-488897941.html

The lake depth here was also stated to have been 80+ feet.

She turned me into a donkey! I got better...

Postby TEDodd » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:15 pm

sdcfan88 wrote:The lake depth here was also stated to have been 80+ feet.

Report I saw from divers said it went down in shallower water and slid to rest in deeper water. I forget the depth they mentioned, but I think it was ~10ft.

Not sure why PFDs were distributed when the waves picked up, long before the video started. I've spent a lot of time on the water and would have wanted one in those conditions.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:23 pm

The fact that nobody (?) was wearing a life jacket....sad. :(

I saw these duck boats operating in one of the Chinese franchise parks back in 2012.
And from what I could see, everybody had life jackets on. Period.

Now granted, it was in a man-made lake, in the park itself. But still. They had rules.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby TNT » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:55 pm

I've read a couple of articles about a Duck sinking in Arkansas in 1999. Most of the articles state that there was a greater loss of life because the lifejackets pinned people to the canopy of the boat as it sank.

Here is a Link to an article that mentions this issue.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:53 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:Now granted, it was in a man-made lake, in the park itself. But still. They had rules.

Just for context, I wanted to point out that Table Rock is a man-made lake, and Silver Dollar City is on a peninsula out into that lake.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Twister
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:02 am

^ I did not know that. Thanks for clarification.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:51 pm

Branson Fun Park is already closing up shop. They didn't even make it two months. One of the coasters has already been sold.

They are saying they'll be back in October in some fashion. Not sure what that means.

I am very disappointed. I missed them in May since they were late in opening, but had plans to be there in August. It just seems so amateurish to me to not even be able to run an amusement business in the middle of Branson for longer than two months without going under. I had high hopes for them, and that they would spur further development along.

It's very similar to that park in Alabama that also only made it two months and was also associated with a carnival operator.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Jaykethekid » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:15 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:Branson Fun Park is already closing up shop. They didn't even make it two months. One of the coasters has already been sold.

They are saying they'll be back in October in some fashion. Not sure what that means.

I am very disappointed. I missed them in May since they were late in opening, but had plans to be there in August. It just seems so amateurish to me to not even be able to run an amusement business in the middle of Branson for longer than two months without going under. I had high hopes for them, and that they would spur further development along.

It's very similar to that park in Alabama that also only made it two months and was also associated with a carnival operator.

I hadn't heard anything about them closing. The only thing i heard was that the green pinfari coaster was needed back by its carnival showman. Seeing that most of their rides are leased from carnival operators, im sure they'll run into issues since fair season is starting up soon.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/a119863cb40d603ccb6f817858d7c1d5.jpg[/img][/url]

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:19 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:
Nrthwnd wrote:Now granted, it was in a man-made lake, in the park itself. But still. They had rules.

Just for context, I wanted to point out that Table Rock is a man-made lake, and Silver Dollar City is on a peninsula out into that lake.

Granted I don't know much about the park or area but you threw me when you said SDC, which I always thought was in the mountains, was on a peninsula on a lake. I immediately though of like Cedar Point or something similar and was all "Goddamn WTF is Andrew smoking today?" and then I went on google maps and I totally see what you mean. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!