Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 517 - Time Traveler announced for 2018!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby sdcfan88 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Anyways, even though this is a bit redundant, here was my footage from the announcement ceremony:

For those concerned about the spinning, I was one of the most vocal ones about being against the concept, but I am giving it a chance and I feel optimistic that they will fine tune this ride before, during, and after it opens for the best rider experience. If you fast forward 21 minutes into my video Brad is speaking to Dennis, one of the Mack Rides engineers behind this ride's development. During this conversation Brad was talking about how the test car that was used on Blue Fire at Europa Park was actually too intense for him and said that the only way this could work at SDC is for them to engineer a system to help keep the spinning under control with a braking system. It is essentially described as a magnetic clutch that will interact with a steel fin mounted on the gondola if the spinning attempts to get too violent. This will slow the rotation thus providing a controlled spin. It was definitely a topic of concern for people if we were to expect the same level of spinning as seen in the simulation, however it was also mentioned when I overheard a conversation that the spinning animations are likely exaggerated. You may simply experience a slower turning effect where you may turn and swoop into an inversion sideways instead of feeling like your are being tossed like your laundry in a washing machine.

Also I know many were excited for this as I certainly was, but here is the exclusive construction site tour I got of the coaster under construction:

They were actively hanging several pieces of track and supports for the vertical loop while I was down in the valley. It was pretty neat to actually stand next to and touch the actual track and supports. haha

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby Casicielo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Thanks for that recap on the spinning mechanics. I will def be keen to see the end results of this come spring

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby EliHorton » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:16 pm

WOW! I get more excited for Time Traveler everyday! I looks like so much fun!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby CaptainUnknown » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:41 pm

Shavethewhales wrote:It was bad enough when they had a few backwards seats on Thunderation - that confused the heck out of a lot of people that had never been there before and weren't familiar with roller coasters. Now imagine touting this record smashing SPINNING coaster and then throwing different options into the mix in the station. You'd have to carve out different lines, have attendants to explain where to go for what, deal with crowds wanting to do one thing or the other... etc.

Piggybacking off this for a second, take a look at this sign:
powertower10.JPG

That sign's for the S&S Tower I've worked for the past three years. Our three towers are color-coded with the sign. 2 reds and a blue. The sign is above a fork in the queue, with a path leading to the red towers, and a path to the blue. It's astounding how many people don't know the difference, even when they're on the ride! Or how many don't realize that there are 2 separate queues for the two ride programs.
Sweet Screams are Made of This. Who Am I To Disagree?

Parks: 21
Credits: 101 (20 wood/81 steel)
Top Wood: Outlaw Run
Top Steel: Millennium Force

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby ElvisLuv » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:02 am

Just a FYI for the Europeans on the board WOW Air announced service to St. Louis starting next year. They announced Cleveland and Cincinnati as well when Norwegian starts getting the A321LR, expect even more TATL service to midsized cities like Kansas City and Memphis in 2020.

Come see Dixie Stampede before the PC Police kills it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/culturebox/2017/08/visiting_dolly_parton_s_dinner_show_dixie_stampede.html

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Wow Air going to St. Louis is seriously exciting. That could really make a transatlantic affordable for us.

The Slate article was an interesting read, but I wouldn't worry too much about Dixie Stampede going away any time soon.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Vonni » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:07 pm

Anything significant going on with construction?

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby Shavethewhales » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:36 pm

Track is about done, at least as far as you can tell from the park. The ACE coaster christmas event will provide another opportunity to look at it up close, but Im not sure there will be much to say until then. Its all out there now, only thing left that could surprise us is if they end up enclosing one of the launches. Doesnt seem possible though.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby TrippinBillie » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:12 am

DoinItForTheFame wrote:If you go to SDC's Facebook they have put up a 360 degree POV of Time Traveler!!! (Forgive me for not knowing how to link it!)

I just watched it. I dunno if it's the video resolution or what, but that even made me dizzy LOL. I dunno about this one....

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby sdcfan88 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Minor construction update on Time Traveler. Track work is pretty much complete save for the transfer track section. Been told testing will begin in November possibly in time for the Coaster Christmas event that will be held at the park.

Interestingly enough the final inversion actually leans over a bit into the helix on ThuNderaTion. Maybe its an optical illusion but it seemed so to me. It also almost feels like you can reach out and touch the track from the queue, yes its that close.
_MG_1587.JPG
_MG_1588.JPG
_MG_1589.JPG
_MG_1590.JPG
_MG_1591.JPG
_MG_1592.JPG
_MG_1593.JPG
_MG_1594.JPG

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!