TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Silver Dollar City has sent us a press release release announcing their 2019 entertainment lineup as a part of "The Year of Shows & Festivals."

A hallmark of Branson’s famed tourism industry is live entertainment and production shows, with Silver Dollar City having proven decades-long leadership in presenting great and unique talent. Today’s announcement of the 2019 lineup strongly builds on that tradition, with Silver Dollar City beginning a new era of even bolder entertainment with “The Year of Shows & Festivals.” The 1880s internationally-awarded theme park is planning millions of dollars in additions with new and original productions, larger-than-life shows and festival adventures.

Topline features include a new $1 million, original mega-production show for Summer, Reuben’s Swashbuckling Adventure; and new for Fall, a spectacular evening and nighttime experience, Pumpkin Nights with thousands of glowing pumpkins artfully brought to life throughout the streets of the City, creating the biggest Fall in the park’s nearly 6-decade history.

Other large-scale elements include a globally-acclaimed acrobatic French-Canadian lumberjack production show; a slate of evening concerts in the Echo Hollow Amphitheater including Bluegrass Nights in Spring and then, throughout the season, legendary rock, pop and country performers; the new Kid Magic summer show; plus The Festival of Wonder with visually-stunning, globally-inspired production shows.

Summer Mega-Productions

Imagination comes to life on stage in a huge production opening with Star-Spangled Summer -- the all-new, original production, created exclusively for Silver Dollar City, Reuben’s Swashbuckling Adventure. The $1 million Broadway-style musical is a magical journey of discovery with a colorful cast, flying characters, state-of-the-art sets and special effects. Also new for summer is a show featuring the world’s youngest magician and illusionist, Kid Magic, starring Kadan Bart Rockett & Brooklyn, direct from America’s Got Talent.

Supercharging Fall

The City transforms into a glowing-orange wonderland in Fall 2019 as Silver Dollar City presents Pumpkin Nights. This evening lighting event with thousands of pumpkin creations and larger-than-life icons includes giant scarecrows, cats, owls and other characters shining in the dark. A new Pumpkin Pathway leads to Pumpkin Plaza with a dance party and fall activities. The park stays open until 9 pm, with rides running too, creating a new nighttime experience for families.

Fall daytime debuts a pulse-raising French-Canadian production show -- an acrobatic musical about singing and dancing lumberjacks in a high-energy internationally-acclaimed stage show. Also by day, in a setting filled with colorful pumpkins, Silver Dollar City craftsmen welcome visiting artisans, with select new crafters each week.

Spring kicks off the year with The Festival of Wonder, billed as “A Most Amazing Entertainment Experience,” designed to spark curiosity by presenting several hot-ticket shows such as Phoenix Fire which is a black-light, laser and fire production, and new circus-inspired extraordinary acts for CirqUnique.

New for Bluegrass & BBQ is Bluegrass Nights, featuring nightly concerts with top bluegrass artists in Echo Hollow Amphitheatre. Following Southern Gospel’s 12 biggest days for Southern Gospel Picnic is a new event for September: Country Music Days presents 13 back-to-back days of iconic country music and Saturday Night Celebrity Concerts with classic country stars.

The grand finale to the year is Christmas. The City transforms into one of the world’s most recognized holiday celebrations, An Old Time Christmas, with over 6.5 million lights, the dazzling Christmas In Midtown, Rudolph’s Holly Jolly™ Christmas Light Parade, original musical productions A Dickens’ Christmas Carol and It’s A Wonderful Life, plus a towering Special Effects Christmas Tree – all for a Christmas season bigger and brighter than ever.

“We are, and always will be, respectful to our roots of presenting great crafts, unique music and family-friendly shows,” said Brad Thomas, President of Silver Dollar City Attractions. “This coming year, we will add many colorful layers, boldly building a new era of entertainment into our traditions. Guests are seeking new adventures and always looking for something they haven’t seen before. We promise we will deliver new experiences while embracing favorites as we support our mission statement of Creating Memories Worth Repeating,” Thomas said.

Season passes for 2019 go on sale November 1. For details and additional elements: 800-831-4FUN(386), or http://www.silverdollarcity.com.

1353150536_2.PhoenixFireClose.thumb.jpg.712b47e50b1dde1629e1951997b58cc5.jpg

245211887_2.PhoenixFireDancers.thumb.jpg.27ed46eb9c76454dcf2a887b5de2c525.jpg

1321324794_2.PhoenixFireFireSpinner.thumb.jpg.aba7b21c3c476b789111ebf62b695077.jpg

1175701102_2.PhoenixFireLightStage.thumb.jpg.9c317ed8751066a550b541faf3506891.jpg

257045012_2.PhoenixFireStage.thumb.jpg.d0d0501de9b70207ef87446bc2773a5b.jpg

718674683_3.CirqUniqueAerialPerch.thumb.jpg.429e829c7fb8534bb5a210bbe61e458a.jpg

163462057_3.CirqUniqueWheelofDeath.thumb.jpg.c76b7d1e8aa6447372d2a431acfa3a97.jpg

1655058860_4.ReubensSwashbucklingAdventureLogo.thumb.png.cd4abab3fbdcdb28801ef06bb55746b1.png

1110963554_4.ReubensSwashbucklingAdventureStage.thumb.jpg.57227a6f9f6d68f84399f2a28caaeb82.jpg

1229626617_6.PumpkinNightsKeyArt.thumb.png.2ffb51ff581a5002041cec6d2be939e0.png

821523013_7.LumberjackShow.thumb.jpg.a89a4a1d40f9832c9485f00dd8468e36.jpg

1514982164_ScreenShot2018-10-20at10_22_17AM.thumb.png.e8612d3d2a51138da955a6655fea9da1.png

I can imagine OR at night being like The Beast at night on steroids.

That's a good way to put it. There are lights on the lift, but after that, you don't see any light at all until you hit the barrel roll. It's out in the woods and so, so dark.

That's the most exciting thing about Pumpkin Nights. The extended hours in the summer are so busy and by the time Old Time Christmas starts, temperature becomes a factor. We just had our first frost the other day but lows are mostly in the 40s right now, so October will be great for night rides. Not to mention just after Labour Day when we still basically have summer temps but the crowds are gone.

Oh it'll be busy, but not the rides. Tonight (and I know the park isn't open today) has a low of 43. People don't ride coasters at those temperatures but Outlaw Run can still run then. That's how it works during Christmas at the same temperatures so I would expect similar.

So there has been some apparent rumors floating around from park employees that this could be the last weekend for Lost River (as in closing forever) yet the park is being fairly quiet about it publicly, if it is true. How would you feel if they ripped out that whole lower area of the park and the ride itself or even the lake? Personally, I would think Flooded Mine or FITH would receive attention before Lost River would.

That's more than a rumour. Our bus driver announced today that Lost River would be closing after this weekend to be rebuilt and would reopen in a year and a half.

In other words, Spring 2020.

Let the taller than Infinity Falls drop rumors start.

Draining the lake certainly would open up expansion back toward Outlaw Run but I can't imagine the park being lakeless.

That's more than a rumour. Our bus driver announced today that Lost River would be closing after this weekend to be rebuilt and would reopen in a year and a half.

In other words, Spring 2020.

Let the taller than Infinity Falls drop rumors start.

Draining the lake certainly would open up expansion back toward Outlaw Run but I can't imagine the park being lakeless.

So this could be an example of what the rebuild could entail:

I really doubt they would drain the lake. It sits at a low point in the park and whatever they put there would be prone to flooding. I mean, there's a reason there's a lake there. They didn't make that.

Natural lakes in the Ozarks are uncommon because of the karst limestone. Most permanent ponds and lakes are there because of man, this lake is no different. It may predate the theme park but I imagine it was made a year round natural feature by man. It can certainly be reshaped but I doubt it will done away with considering Fireman's LANDING would need renamed. If you have over noticed, they really draw the lake down during Old Time Christmas and the off season.

Now, what would really excite me is if this posssible redo of area's footprint would allow for a new, modern tech version of the old Diving Bell attraction to come back to the lakefront and if this is a bigger version of Infinity Falls, the lift and drop are inside a mountain

I still think the train maintenance area is a hindrance to opening up this area and if done some rerouting may news to be done. I have always hoped they would actually convert the area to an old, time period 1880's roundhouse with a turntable backstage area in plain view that would fit with the whole working city angle of the park.

Guess I must really be out of the loop because this announcement seemed to come out of nowhere

Kinda surprised Lost River is getting spruced up/replaced before FITH and Flooded Mine. Although Infinity Falls looks amazing, and I am not even a big fan of rapids rides.

2019 season pass prices are published, $10 more across the board. Still worth it, and a price increase was honestly overdue. Especially excited about that all season refill cup...mmm, free wassail.

Sorry about the orientation. I tried five times, even took it from the side twice. I give up.

IMG_20181103_094210.thumb.jpg.f4ded54a9d1aef7202d04bdb9e4a1752.jpg

FYI about the construction for 2020, along with Lost River, if you have any sentimental attachment to the Riverfront area as a whole make sure you get photos in the next few weeks as it continues to be indicated that it will all pretty much get leveled. Everything from Ribhouse & Dockside Theater, all the way down to Lucky's Toys is being stated from more than one source now to be getting leveled for this project. I definitely don't know how to feel about such a large older section of the park about to meet its end despite the bottleneck issues on busy days. I am pretty shocked at the extent of the removals and changes that will be done at the park as the 2018 season concludes IF this all comes to pass as currently implied.

I'm curious to know how regulars and the GP will feel about this once it becomes more obvious. That section of the park was very popular from my observations.