TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Time Traveler photos are so...satisfying. It's still weirdly surprising to see a spinning coaster train do those maneuvers.

Count me as another Powder Keg fan. Moreso on my first visit when I was newer to coasters, but I still judge it to deliver. My rankings are borked, but it seems to be at my #30 steel. Great combo of elements, airtime, and views.

I like that there is more forest still around it, and makes it more interesting to see,

what you can of it, no matter where the shot is taken from. I like that a lot!

And oooooooo those Night Shots!

So I’ve been at SDC for the last two days and have noticed a few things. I must say, it really looks like they’ve stepped up their landscaping game. It may be that my last visits have been during the winter so all the colors look a lot more vibrant than I’m used to. Regardless, the park looks absolutely stunning and gorgeous.

Now, Time Traveler has actually been running pretty reliably. It’s been running two trains and I don’t think it had any breakdowns so far. The only thing noticeable is that the one train that had the back car closed off in March still has that car closed. I don’t know what the problem is. I also don’t know why they’d run that train over the other one with no closed cars. Who knows.

Lastly, it’s weird how slow Outlaw Run is running. It was running so slow that I was slightly hanging on my side in the wave turn and felt like we were never going to make it out of the last barrel roll. It was coming out of that roll so slow that the train fully decelerated just barely after the last car made it into the brake run. It’s a stark contrast to how it was running at Christmas where it would nearly blow the full brake run. Regardless, it’s a great ride when it’s running slow. Also, has the dispatch audio been gone for a while? Not one of my rides had it.

I went to the park today and all the lines for the rides were nonexistent besides Time Traveler. That said I never waited more than 30 minutes the 3 times I rode it. The ride really blew me away, it is just so FUN! The first ride I was in the back car and was facing backwards about 85% of the ride and it was AMAZING. I was also able to get a ride in the front car which I found equally as fun as the back. My favorite part of the ride is the swooping downhill turn and the corkscrew, especially when you go through it sideways, it is such a unique feeling!

As pointed out above, I did notice one train did have the back car closed off and it was that way when I went to the park on a Saturday a couple of weeks ago. It was also down when the park opened today for about 10 minutes due to the PA system not working, other than that it was also running whenever I walked past it throughout the day.

Another highlight of the day was when my friend and I rode Flooded Mine we were the only 2 on the whole entire ride lol. That is the first time anything like that has happened to me at a theme park.

So I’ve been at SDC for the last two days and have noticed a few things. I must say, it really looks like they’ve stepped up their landscaping game. It may be that my last visits have been during the winter so all the colors look a lot more vibrant than I’m used to. Regardless, the park looks absolutely stunning and gorgeous.

Now, Time Traveler has actually been running pretty reliably. It’s been running two trains and I don’t think it had any breakdowns so far. The only thing noticeable is that the one train that had the back car closed off in March still has that car closed. I don’t know what the problem is. I also don’t know why they’d run that train over the other one with no closed cars. Who knows.

Lastly, it’s weird how slow Outlaw Run is running. It was running so slow that I was slightly hanging on my side in the wave turn and felt like we were never going to make it out of the last barrel roll. It was coming out of that roll so slow that the train fully decelerated just barely after the last car made it into the brake run. It’s a stark contrast to how it was running at Christmas where it would nearly blow the full brake run. Regardless, it’s a great ride when it’s running slow. Also, has the dispatch audio been gone for a while? Not one of my rides had it.

The dispatch audio has gotten noticeably quieter since debut but I don't recall it ever being gone completely. I hope that its not a permanent change, I rather like it.

So my family and I are visiting the park this weekend (Friday evening and all day Saturday to be exact) and it looks like rain is possible in the forecast. Will this affect any rides, if it's just rain? I can't remember the policy at SDC when it comes to coasters and rain. Thanks!

Does Silver Dollar City close lines early or am I safe getting in Time Traveler's queue a few minutes before closing tonight?

I plan to go for a preview day today and will be returning tomorrow with a Trailblazer, but want to get a Time Traveler ride in today since I can only skip it once tomorrow.

The lines close when the park closes. Everyone in line at that moment will get to ride. Don't be late; they are strict about cutoff time. If you get in line about 9:45, you'll be good. Time Traveler is pretty great at night, but if you haven't experienced it, Outlaw Run is maybe the 2nd best night ride after the Beast. Try to get on that right after dark, then make your way to TT.

Have fun!

Fyi to anyone traveling to the park on a busy day, they cut off Time Traveler's queue before closing. I got there 15 minutes before closing and they were turning people away. The employee at the gift shop said the park doesn't like to have people in the park more than a half hour after closing.

On the bright side, Thunderation is next door and a really good night ride I wouldn't have experienced otherwise.

I know the line was 120 minutes most of the day but around 7:30 I got on in just 15 minutes so I'm kind of skeptical it built back up.

Though from Thunderation it looked like the launch track lights illuminated the layout so it wasn't as pitch black as I thought it would have been.

Yes I rode Outlaw Run almost 30 times with half of those in the dark. It was an amazing coaster!

I also liked Powder Keg a lot more than I expected. I thought it'd be a family ride with the lower height requirement but that was a surprisingly forceful launch with some great air after.

^ I would have LOVED to have gotten to ride their coasters in the dark - so jealous of you!

And yes, Powder Keg was a great surprise. I had read about how awesome it was, but my expectations were blown away at just how fun this odd coaster really is!

PS - you must have thighs of steel to ride Outlaw Run 30 times...I think I rode it about ten times in two days and my thighs were pretty sore from it. Although that is not a bad thing...no complaints from me!

Powder Keg is so much fun. The launch, setting, and sensation of speed really make it worth the while. Thunderation absolutely hauls through the trees. Wildfire is one of my favorite B&M loopers (setting + smooth + that first drop!), and of course Outlaw Run is one of the most flat-out fun wooden coasters out there. Basically, every coaster at SDC is unique and one of the best of its kind. I can't wait to ride Time Traveler this summer.

PS - you must have thighs of steel to ride Outlaw Run 30 times...I think I rode it about ten times in two days and my thighs were pretty sore from it. Although that is not a bad thing...no complaints from me!

SFNE's Superman trained me well. Those bulky things are far worse than a RMC on the thighs.

The only coaster I've ridden that's "bad" on the thighs is Magnum if you don't tighten the seatbelt enough, and maybe the B&Ms with vest restraints, the wing coasters and Banshee that tighten during the ride (Valravn didn't do this, so maybe it's fixed(?) or maybe it just hadn't developed a problem yet). I haven't been on STR or Skyrush. The only discomfort I felt on OR was the shin bars, and those weren't really noticeable outside the station and brake run.