TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

wow that got geopolitical and in-depth regional economic policy and stuff really quickly - all I asked about was paper or cardboard season passes.....

Interesting

Kevin

You should see the most modest HQ of a Major retailer you'll ever see in Bentonville. That's about to change though, Walmart is about to drop multiple billions on a whole new campus.

I don't understand why they don't go for plastic. But really, neither are needed if they just allowed us to show them via an app like I do for my Six Flags passes. Which brings me to those, I hate that I have to go to activate them. I live 5 hours from any SF park, yet have purchased gold passes twice in the past 5 years to milk the free admission and parking to any park aspect of it. We picked them up last Oct in SFSTL for this year. We didn't go to the Halloween stuff this year cause we covered it last season.

Back to SDC, Dollywood will give the rest of the year(Christmas) for 2018 passes yet SDC will not. SDC doesn't hurt for crowds at Christmas. Maybe there's something to that. Maybe Dollywood actually needs the nudge for their Christmas season as opposed to SDC. I think it comes down to max capacity and having two years worth of pass holders making it even more crowded than it already is. Case in point, I only get SDC passes every three years or so but will visit at least 4 time. When I do get Passes , I use every availible bring a friend. They'd get my this Christmas and next if they did what Dolly does . Maybe the park is just too small for that while Dolly has more room.

wow that got geopolitical and in-depth regional economic policy and stuff really quickly - all I asked about was paper or cardboard season passes.....

Interesting

Kevin

You're welcome! Providing way more information than is strictly necessary is my speciality.

How about those Time Traveler cars at IAAPA?

Seeing it in the physical and not as a CGI rendering I am much more optimistic on the theming and stylization of this ride. I just hope the rest of the station building is done on this level of detail. I am impressed nonetheless.

23472694_10155865805838493_7842409348038655986_n.jpg?oh=1347802c849cb92c83e88a8d0f77995c&oe=5AA0E960

23517906_10155865805843493_2119847494922867128_n.jpg?oh=56f73357c918e2a84b3c73ce6451a736&oe=5AA65E3C

Short reveal video from the TPR FB page:

I'm not sure how any of that contradicts what I wrote. There's an economic divide here. You have a lot of very poor people and a lot of middle class. If you're a working class person with only a high school education, it's tough. It's not hard to find a job, but it is hard to find a good paying job. If you're working per hour, $15 is high here. Good luck trying to find $20. And you're going to be stuck there with no real chance at advancement.

You seem to be seeing the Ozarks from an outsider's perspective. People who move here are already ahead. Those opportunities are going to be there for them because they have the money and education to make it happen. You come from a blue collar family or a farm family, it's going to be tough for you. This isn't an area that creates opportunities. It has opportunities for those who already are ahead.

When setting your price, you've got to take the economy into consideration. SDC still has a large contingent of bobbie socks families who are there for crafts and gospel music. They don't want to alienate those people, who often are very price sensitive. When you're buying 10 season passes, you have to be. That's the reason season passes are less than most parks. It's the reason parkong is free. It's the reason you can bring your own food into the park. Yes, they're wanting to attract the new money here, but they have to keep their core audience too.

I live in Fayetteville.

I own land adjacent to Buffalo National River that didn't "get" water till a decade ago. I understand the economics well. I know how much the land in Newton Co. Arkansas can sell for. And... most importantly I know real honest to goodNess moonshiners that sell it in gallon milk jugs that act as poor as they can only to go out west and drop 10k on an Elk hunt when they aren't poaching the local herd. Plenty of methheads too.

But,...the fact of the matter is that the Ozarks are sparsely populated out side of the the MSAs.

REGIONAL RANKINGS

BEST CITIES TO LAUNCH A CAREER

Realtor.com in mid-2017 created a list of the 10 Best Cities to Launch a Career. Northwest Arkansas joined far larger middle America regions on the list, including Dallas, Kansas City and Nashville. Among the places listed, only Kansas City had a lower median home price.

BEST AFFORDABLE PLACES TO LIVE

U.S. News & World Report put Northwest Arkansas at No. 1 in its May 2016 ranking of the 20 Best Affordable Places to Live.

BEST IN THE U.S.

Lonely Planet, the world's largest publisher of travel-related books and guides, in February 2016 ranked Northwest Arkansas at No. 7 in its list of "Best in the U.S."

BEST CITIES FOR WHITE-COLLAR JOB GROWTH

Forbes and NewGeography.com ranked Northwest Arkansas at No. 3 among the nation's medium-sized cities for white-collar job growth in July 2016. The region ranked 16th among all U.S. metropolitan statistical areas.

BEST MIDSIZE CITIES FOR JOBS

Forbes ranked Northwest Arkansas at No. 2 on its list of Best Midsize Cities for Jobs in May 2016. All the midsize cities had 150,000 to 450,000 nonfarm jobs in their metropolitan area.

BEST-PERFORMING CITIES

The Milken Institute, which published a new report in December 2016, put the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers Metropolitan Statistical Area's economy at No. 30 among 200 large metropolitan areas. The region was especially strong in job and wage growth.

BEST PLACES TO LIVE

U.S. News & World Report put the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers (Northwest Arkansas) Metropolitan Statistical Area at No. 5 on its 2017 list of Best Places to Live. Northwest Arkansas ranked No. 3 in 2016.

BEST PLACES FOR MINORITY-OWNED BUSINESSES IN 2016

Only San Jose in California ranked ahead of Northwest Arkansas when it came to creating a climate for minority-owned businesses. Northwest Arkansas was No. 2 nationally, according to Fast Company and Nerdwallet.

BEST PLACES TO RETIRE

Money Magazine in 2015 lists Northwest Arkansas as one of 25 Best Places to Retire. Northwest Arkansas offers a wealth of year-round outdoor outlets.

BEST SUBURB TO PURCHASE A HOME

According to Realtor Magazine's June 2015 issue, Centerton in Northwest Arkansas was ranked by online publication Niche at No. 3 for best places in the nation to purchase a home with an average home price of $133,400. Niche recently ranked America's suburbs, factoring in home values, property taxes, housing costs, and age of new homebuyers.

FAMILY FRIENDLINESS

Researchers at Chapman University's Center for Demographics and Policy in California determined in a report that Northwest Arkansas ranked No. 1 in the nation in family friendliness. The report, called Building Cities for People and made public in January 2016, measured metropolitan areas in such categories as commute times, housing costs, income and migration.

FASTEST GROWING ECONOMY THROUGH 2021

The Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers Metropolitan Statistical Area (Northwest Arkansas) economy, according to a report by IHS Global Insight for the U.S. Conference of Mayors. The report showed the region's economic growth rate will rank No. 5 nationally through 2021. Only four U.S. regions — two in Utah and two in Florida — are expected to see their economies grow at a faster rate. The 3.9 percent annual growth rate predicted for Northwest Arkansas will push the region’s economy past $30 billion. The report is available here, and Page 36 shows the expectation regarding Northwest Arkansas' future growth.

MOST ECONOMIC GROWTH IN 2016

Northwest Arkansas is No. 7 among 18 regions that will see the most economic growth in 2016, according to research by the U.S. Conference of Mayors in June 2015.

BEST PLACES FOR BUSINESS AND CAREERS

Forbes ranked Northwest Arkansas at No. 24 in its list of Best Places for Business and Careers in 2016. Criteria included labor supply, quality of life, college attainment, crime statistics, local college quality, and cultural and recreational opportunities. In the ranking, Northwest Arkansas was ahead of larger metropolitan areas, including San Jose, Orlando, Nashville and Minneapolis/St.Paul. Ranked No. 11 in job growth, Northwest Arkansas finished ahead of cities such as Denver, Dallas and Atlanta in that category.

CITY RANKINGS

BELLA VISTA

The city on the northern end of the Northwest Arkansas region was selected as one of the nation's 25 Best Places to Retire in 2017 by Forbes. The affordability of housing was a significant factor in the ranking.

BENTONVILLE

NerdWallet put Bentonville at No. 9 on its list of Best Small Cities for Families, publishing the list in October 2017. The online publication ranked cities with populations between 25,000 and 75,000 residents. Bentonville was the only Top 10 city that isn't a suburb to one of the nation's largest metropolitan areas.

National Geographic in May 2017 selected Bentonville as one of America's 20 Best Mountain Bike Towns. Mountain bike trails at Slaughter Pen in Bentonville, Lake Atalanta in Rogers and Mount Kessler in Fayetteville were mentioned as part of the recognition on National Geographic's website.

Thrillist in May 2016 put Bentonville in its list of "25 Best Small U.S. Cities to spend the weekend." Thrillist is a website focused on food, drink and travel.

Outside Magazine in March 2016 ranked Bentonville on its list of "28 Best Trips of 2016," noting the region's growing interest in and places for mountain biking.

Yahoo! Travel in June 2015 has identified Bentonville as one of 10 Newest Hipster Neighborhoods. According to Yahoo! Travel, great things are happening in some relatively unknown neighborhoods across the U.S. The opening of Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, 21c Museum Hotel, Scott Family Amazeum and the recent Bentonville Film Festival attended by many of Hollywood's royalty, has identified Bentonville as a hub for art and culture.

FAYETTEVILLE

Money magazine put Fayetteville and three other Northwest Arkansas cities in the Top 70 in its September 2017 ranking of Best Places to Live. Fayetteville led the way at No. 43, but Rogers (No. 45), Springdale (No. 58) and Siloam Springs (No. 68) were each ranked, too. The ranking was for cities with 10,000 to 100,000 residents.

The University of Arkansas System, which has the flagship University of Arkansas located in Fayetteville, was ranked at No. 65 in a list of the world's 100 top utility patent producing universities. The list was published in June 2015 by the National Academy of Investors.

Ranked by Southern Living at No. 11 in its list of The South’s Best College Towns, Fayetteville was cited for “a slew of music venues and bars” but also noted that Dickson Street is the “town’s life force on the weekends” and connects the University of Arkansas to “the revitalized downtown, where streets are blocked off on Saturdays for the 60-stall Fayetteville Farmers’ Market.”

Fayetteville was identified by Flipkey as one of Six Amazing Small Cities for a Family Vacation in November 2016. The other five were Chapel Hill, N.C.; Columbia, Mo.; Rockville, Md.; Grand Rapids, Mich.; and Sioux Falls, S.D.

Men's Journal identified Fayetteville as one of the Fittest Places to Live in America in 2015.

SPRINGDALE

WalletHub ranked Springdale as the nation's 17th on a list of the Fastest-Growing Cities in America among 515 cities evaluated in 2017. It sits at No. 6 among small cities. The ranking is based on 15 metrics and it gave the greatest weight to population growth, working-age population growth, and college-educated population growth over seven years.

Springdale sits at No. 45 on a list of America's 50 Best Cities to Live as ranked by 24/7 Wall St. The website evaluated 590 cities with populations over 65,000 residents. Data was collected in nine categories, including crime, health, housing and infrastructure

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY:

Travelocity recently released its new Beer Tourism Index, and Fayetteville, Arkansas (and our friends in the surrounding Northwest Arkansas area), hopped up onto the top-20 list in the large-metro category.

If you're going to use that much time and energy on 'almost' pointless internet conversation, you should just make a TR... More people will read it. At the very least, how about some cliff notes?

I'm not sure how any of that contradicts what I wrote. There's an economic divide here. You have a lot of very poor people and a lot of middle class. If you're a working class person with only a high school education, it's tough. It's not hard to find a job, but it is hard to find a good paying job. If you're working per hour, $15 is high here. Good luck trying to find $20. And you're going to be stuck there with no real chance at advancement.

You seem to be seeing the Ozarks from an outsider's perspective. People who move here are already ahead. Those opportunities are going to be there for them because they have the money and education to make it happen. You come from a blue collar family or a farm family, it's going to be tough for you. This isn't an area that creates opportunities. It has opportunities for those who already are ahead.

When setting your price, you've got to take the economy into consideration. SDC still has a large contingent of bobbie socks families who are there for crafts and gospel music. They don't want to alienate those people, who often are very price sensitive. When you're buying 10 season passes, you have to be. That's the reason season passes are less than most parks. It's the reason parkong is free. It's the reason you can bring your own food into the park. Yes, they're wanting to attract the new money here, but they have to keep their core audience too.

I live in Fayetteville.

I own land adjacent to Buffalo National River that didn't "get" water till a decade ago. I understand the economics well. I know how much the land in Newton Co. Arkansas can sell for. And... most importantly I know real honest to goodNess moonshiners that sell it in gallon milk jugs that act as poor as they can only to go out west and drop 10k on an Elk hunt when they aren't poaching the local herd. Plenty of methheads too.

But,...the fact of the matter is that the Ozarks are sparsely populated out side of the the MSAs.

REGIONAL RANKINGS

BEST CITIES TO LAUNCH A CAREER

Realtor.com in mid-2017 created a list of the 10 Best Cities to Launch a Career. Northwest Arkansas joined far larger middle America regions on the list, including Dallas, Kansas City and Nashville. Among the places listed, only Kansas City had a lower median home price.

BEST AFFORDABLE PLACES TO LIVE

U.S. News & World Report put Northwest Arkansas at No. 1 in its May 2016 ranking of the 20 Best Affordable Places to Live.

BEST IN THE U.S.

Lonely Planet, the world's largest publisher of travel-related books and guides, in February 2016 ranked Northwest Arkansas at No. 7 in its list of "Best in the U.S."

BEST CITIES FOR WHITE-COLLAR JOB GROWTH

Forbes and NewGeography.com ranked Northwest Arkansas at No. 3 among the nation's medium-sized cities for white-collar job growth in July 2016. The region ranked 16th among all U.S. metropolitan statistical areas.

BEST MIDSIZE CITIES FOR JOBS

Forbes ranked Northwest Arkansas at No. 2 on its list of Best Midsize Cities for Jobs in May 2016. All the midsize cities had 150,000 to 450,000 nonfarm jobs in their metropolitan area.

BEST-PERFORMING CITIES

The Milken Institute, which published a new report in December 2016, put the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers Metropolitan Statistical Area's economy at No. 30 among 200 large metropolitan areas. The region was especially strong in job and wage growth.

BEST PLACES TO LIVE

U.S. News & World Report put the Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers (Northwest Arkansas) Metropolitan Statistical Area at No. 5 on its 2017 list of Best Places to Live. Northwest Arkansas ranked No. 3 in 2016.

BEST PLACES FOR MINORITY-OWNED BUSINESSES IN 2016

Only San Jose in California ranked ahead of Northwest Arkansas when it came to creating a climate for minority-owned businesses. Northwest Arkansas was No. 2 nationally, according to Fast Company and Nerdwallet.

BEST PLACES TO RETIRE

Money Magazine in 2015 lists Northwest Arkansas as one of 25 Best Places to Retire. Northwest Arkansas offers a wealth of year-round outdoor outlets.

BEST SUBURB TO PURCHASE A HOME

According to Realtor Magazine's June 2015 issue, Centerton in Northwest Arkansas was ranked by online publication Niche at No. 3 for best places in the nation to purchase a home with an average home price of $133,400. Niche recently ranked America's suburbs, factoring in home values, property taxes, housing costs, and age of new homebuyers.

FAMILY FRIENDLINESS

Researchers at Chapman University's Center for Demographics and Policy in California determined in a report that Northwest Arkansas ranked No. 1 in the nation in family friendliness. The report, called Building Cities for People and made public in January 2016, measured metropolitan areas in such categories as commute times, housing costs, income and migration.

FASTEST GROWING ECONOMY THROUGH 2021

The Fayetteville-Springdale-Rogers Metropolitan Statistical Area (Northwest Arkansas) economy, according to a report by IHS Global Insight for the U.S. Conference of Mayors. The report showed the region's economic growth rate will rank No. 5 nationally through 2021. Only four U.S. regions — two in Utah and two in Florida — are expected to see their economies grow at a faster rate. The 3.9 percent annual growth rate predicted for Northwest Arkansas will push the region’s economy past $30 billion. The report is available here, and Page 36 shows the expectation regarding Northwest Arkansas' future growth.

MOST ECONOMIC GROWTH IN 2016

Northwest Arkansas is No. 7 among 18 regions that will see the most economic growth in 2016, according to research by the U.S. Conference of Mayors in June 2015.

BEST PLACES FOR BUSINESS AND CAREERS

Forbes ranked Northwest Arkansas at No. 24 in its list of Best Places for Business and Careers in 2016. Criteria included labor supply, quality of life, college attainment, crime statistics, local college quality, and cultural and recreational opportunities. In the ranking, Northwest Arkansas was ahead of larger metropolitan areas, including San Jose, Orlando, Nashville and Minneapolis/St.Paul. Ranked No. 11 in job growth, Northwest Arkansas finished ahead of cities such as Denver, Dallas and Atlanta in that category.

CITY RANKINGS

BELLA VISTA

The city on the northern end of the Northwest Arkansas region was selected as one of the nation's 25 Best Places to Retire in 2017 by Forbes. The affordability of housing was a significant factor in the ranking.

BENTONVILLE

NerdWallet put Bentonville at No. 9 on its list of Best Small Cities for Families, publishing the list in October 2017. The online publication ranked cities with populations between 25,000 and 75,000 residents. Bentonville was the only Top 10 city that isn't a suburb to one of the nation's largest metropolitan areas.

National Geographic in May 2017 selected Bentonville as one of America's 20 Best Mountain Bike Towns. Mountain bike trails at Slaughter Pen in Bentonville, Lake Atalanta in Rogers and Mount Kessler in Fayetteville were mentioned as part of the recognition on National Geographic's website.

Thrillist in May 2016 put Bentonville in its list of "25 Best Small U.S. Cities to spend the weekend." Thrillist is a website focused on food, drink and travel.

Outside Magazine in March 2016 ranked Bentonville on its list of "28 Best Trips of 2016," noting the region's growing interest in and places for mountain biking.

Yahoo! Travel in June 2015 has identified Bentonville as one of 10 Newest Hipster Neighborhoods. According to Yahoo! Travel, great things are happening in some relatively unknown neighborhoods across the U.S. The opening of Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, 21c Museum Hotel, Scott Family Amazeum and the recent Bentonville Film Festival attended by many of Hollywood's royalty, has identified Bentonville as a hub for art and culture.

FAYETTEVILLE

Money magazine put Fayetteville and three other Northwest Arkansas cities in the Top 70 in its September 2017 ranking of Best Places to Live. Fayetteville led the way at No. 43, but Rogers (No. 45), Springdale (No. 58) and Siloam Springs (No. 68) were each ranked, too. The ranking was for cities with 10,000 to 100,000 residents.

The University of Arkansas System, which has the flagship University of Arkansas located in Fayetteville, was ranked at No. 65 in a list of the world's 100 top utility patent producing universities. The list was published in June 2015 by the National Academy of Investors.

Ranked by Southern Living at No. 11 in its list of The South’s Best College Towns, Fayetteville was cited for “a slew of music venues and bars” but also noted that Dickson Street is the “town’s life force on the weekends” and connects the University of Arkansas to “the revitalized downtown, where streets are blocked off on Saturdays for the 60-stall Fayetteville Farmers’ Market.”

Fayetteville was identified by Flipkey as one of Six Amazing Small Cities for a Family Vacation in November 2016. The other five were Chapel Hill, N.C.; Columbia, Mo.; Rockville, Md.; Grand Rapids, Mich.; and Sioux Falls, S.D.

Men's Journal identified Fayetteville as one of the Fittest Places to Live in America in 2015.

SPRINGDALE

WalletHub ranked Springdale as the nation's 17th on a list of the Fastest-Growing Cities in America among 515 cities evaluated in 2017. It sits at No. 6 among small cities. The ranking is based on 15 metrics and it gave the greatest weight to population growth, working-age population growth, and college-educated population growth over seven years.

Springdale sits at No. 45 on a list of America's 50 Best Cities to Live as ranked by 24/7 Wall St. The website evaluated 590 cities with populations over 65,000 residents. Data was collected in nine categories, including crime, health, housing and infrastructure

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY:

Travelocity recently released its new Beer Tourism Index, and Fayetteville, Arkansas (and our friends in the surrounding Northwest Arkansas area), hopped up onto the top-20 list in the large-metro category.

If you're going to use that much time and energy on 'almost' pointless internet conversation, you should just make a TR... More people will read it. At the very least, how about some cliff notes?

That took about two minutes tops. Most was a quick copy and paste from a factsheet from the CoC.

Old Time Christmas 2017 starring Christmas in Midtown!

I have Fridays off, and no one else in my family does. Usually I have projects or something on my "day off," but this week with nothing too urgent I spent the day at Silver Dollar City. I can never get the family to watch shows--I know, they're weird--so today that's what I wanted to do.

The park opened at 1:00, and as we lined up in the square, some of the A Dickens' Christmas Carol cast came out for some caroling. At rope drop I went straight to Wildfire. My oldest daughter doesn't like big coasters, and my son is about an inch too short, so I don't get very many opportunities to ride it. Those of you who are underwhelmed by B&M loopers, come out here and ride this one. It's short, but packs a punch. It actually ramps up the intensity toward the end. The corkscrew and final helix are probably the best part of the ride.

20171117_122650.thumb.jpg.bd15ba7378cf3f0fa10f47356c89699f.jpg

'Twas the hour before rope drop and all through the square

20171117_122706.thumb.jpg.ed1e73ba42bc4b73a332935819799449.jpg

Not a stand was stirring

20171117_122733.thumb.jpg.b5d718319230dced1092efdaa095f01e.jpg

They all were quite bare

20171117_122754.thumb.jpg.1872ae9c3d46d3c7210bf7362f7ec1bd.jpg

The wassail guy was talking

20171117_122805.thumb.jpg.4b6c69cda5ef51006da051ba8d526566.jpg

And the tacos were walking

20171117_122817.thumb.jpg.bfbae9b5de5ca84f46f8b6b12115a506.jpg

In hope that cinnamon bread soon would be there.

20171117_122827.thumb.jpg.80378855085fca417aa87191e59bde1b.jpg

'Twas Christmas in Midtown by light of the moon

20171117_123831.thumb.jpg.2ff33457ca023d287f282d07884d022f.jpg

And Christmas Dinner at 3 in the afternoon.

20171117_123851.thumb.jpg.89704157441781bc10a1f7a942e8d681.jpg

'Tis rope drop, now dash away, dash away all!

Time for the first show of the day. I made my way over to Red Gold Heritage Hall for It's a Wonderful Life. It's a wonderful production (sorry, couldn't resist), with some great choreography, stunning visual effects, and two songs stolen from my all-time favourite musical, Spamalot. Sorry, Hamilton, love you too, but you're just a cast recording to me right now. Lower your ticket prices and maybe we could be more.

20171117_142101.thumb.jpg.d870937a8a6d58bedb727c2daebc2c7d.jpg

This may seem a bit racially insensitive, but Branson actually requires that white people pretend to be from other continents. Take it up with the city.

20171117_142551.thumb.jpg.4164556bb2fd9b4ebcfb6db4f1571c87.jpg

It's okay, we're all totally in high school. Definitely. Don't worry about why we're here.

20171117_144438.thumb.jpg.e53eb08f63302f1ca289af86614ea86f.jpg

Mr. Potter shows us a dystopian future where women are forced by their boss to dance for a dime.

20171117_144750.thumb.jpg.b1c8ef344e183cefcfa5abb14d173f41.jpg

"I'm all alone, all by myself."

20171117_145350.thumb.jpg.68cbbdd8d9617c1db56d2ff6f9847189.jpg

"Always look on the bright side of life."

20171117_145741.thumb.jpg.b7d1a4826b8be437ce218a9f9efbae6c.jpg

Hey, look everybody, it's the results of the current tax bill!

20171117_150757.thumb.jpg.d1a36ba710a0d54fe9d390690ae6ae44.jpg

See, we all do like George after all.

20171117_150911.thumb.jpg.c71fa1288704776d019137b8410c39e8.jpg

And Clarence gets his wings!

20171117_150950.thumb.jpg.5127b350987ae7578a5f88b85384cb85.jpg

Thanks, Clarence!

As soon as Clarence got his wings (if that's a spoiler to you, not sorry--you should really have seen the movie years ago), I booked it over to the Opera House for the clumsily named A Dickens' Christmas Carol. I lucked out and even though I was near the end of the line, there was an open seat in the middle just a few rows back.

The show was also very good. Loved the Jacob Marley effect and the Ghost of Christmas Past's entrance. Great special effects, great singing and choreography also. Both shows felt like a one act Broadway play (though I will admit to never having seen Broadway on Broadway, just the traveling shows that come to the performing arts centers at Missouri State and occasionally UMKC or Washington University).

20171117_155541.thumb.jpg.663385ce594d716108e9d3600736e01d.jpg

"You're a mean one, Mr. Scrooge."

20171117_160002.thumb.jpg.c77244bb9c109d9e8de60139d07e2808.jpg

The ghost of Jacob Marley!

20171117_160359.thumb.jpg.aee72c5c0b8ddcf9cc3b93f9a35878a6.jpg

The Ghost of Christmas Past is...Hagrid!

20171117_161957.thumb.jpg.d1f8de48458344cd2ceff41891595a62.jpg

"I had no idea Tim Cratchet was sick! I swear!"

20171117_163548.thumb.jpg.ff5005dcc9df5125616b67bdfecdc1d9.jpg

"Ding, dong, the Scrooge is dead!"

It was time to head up to the square for wassail, tree lighting, and a parade!

20171117_173240.thumb.jpg.e52fbc201161196e1d7b87f2ba008c43.jpg

Tree lighting!

20171117_181004.thumb.jpg.4cf10e979ec40728b67b6081554e4919.jpg

A local high school band led off the parade.

20171117_181043.thumb.jpg.5f699d0613ccf0ca8ab183b8eef728ed.jpg

20171117_181108.thumb.jpg.52347367496c25f084c25109d395d00f.jpg

20171117_181124.thumb.jpg.c077ef6726abd8c6824e30c0a7e3729a.jpg

20171117_181136.thumb.jpg.41289e2abbeb08949ccc8021280b3566.jpg

20171117_181157.thumb.jpg.43bb7eefd16bb35697c417100ed960b4.jpg

20171117_181209.thumb.jpg.dbe200cbd68598412e43a1a790004fb8.jpg

20171117_181234.thumb.jpg.515fad930e72e8f0b5593b065bdddf1b.jpg

20171117_181306.thumb.jpg.011c8237c3c5a3f80a77accf948f324c.jpg

20171117_181316.thumb.jpg.887bef542a951703e9af3fad774cf493.jpg

20171117_181345.thumb.jpg.c497ecdd244d656fe132f3796af95354.jpg

20171117_181402.thumb.jpg.cbe77e89f929d80e53c1e1c1a1e25642.jpg

20171117_181420.thumb.jpg.dac1b5427d1dda6d501a308a6d806447.jpg

20171117_181434.thumb.jpg.b267fb2a5311d198cb81da1dbc9a0436.jpg

20171117_181452.thumb.jpg.c25641200e11db7afe78d4c87c4fe281.jpg

20171117_181514.thumb.jpg.e1fbb99c576ffa02634968cfe0b8e477.jpg

And now the main event--Christmas in Midtown!

20171117_181610.thumb.jpg.5e680550452c8db761387dc15b777e04.jpg

And now, the moment you've been waiting for!

20171117_181632.thumb.jpg.4cc1ea734773ae4aaaf16f493d606ba6.jpg

20171117_181656.thumb.jpg.1f9769028b17166ef7cfe106dadbd44c.jpg

20171117_181706.thumb.jpg.8afeec4798cbefe91a80032be38c9cf1.jpg

And you thought cinnamon bread couldn't look any better.

20171117_181723.thumb.jpg.1874e9f3d96b9ac1f1071a4dac3c1b50.jpg

20171117_181746.thumb.jpg.f022e990e46bc551dd9953957f5ee654.jpg

20171117_181758.thumb.jpg.0709b269f68f799170644a4acaf69b76.jpg

20171117_181811.thumb.jpg.f74fd33f5b0eaa5b89dd06c031ab5ed2.jpg

20171117_181829.thumb.jpg.84e08155297c8ecdef7a9a06bbf2af43.jpg

20171117_181851.thumb.jpg.9cd8e36200019d3f7ab498700605de31.jpg

20171117_181904.thumb.jpg.80db9ef242d90b53309194139c8e2358.jpg

20171117_181910.thumb.jpg.ac01a99333ce68fc2d8e895e50532060.jpg

20171117_181946.thumb.jpg.89e5fa2bd85b7cb17a21412588669330.jpg

20171117_182000.thumb.jpg.4e4aae5e74f5d6e53b75ad6578d43248.jpg

20171117_182029.thumb.jpg.69a7b9ea32727d1c3ee24db9e671854a.jpg

20171117_182036.thumb.jpg.76d97a8886f514daa9858dce6c4077d9.jpg

20171117_182059.thumb.jpg.5b203a6561ad49b31e87c98dd378d681.jpg

20171117_182115.thumb.jpg.cda66ae459085b100c2010e7cdce63f1.jpg

20171117_182155.thumb.jpg.1f21cd15840d9302a238049673e466f9.jpg

20171117_182224.thumb.jpg.b84eb390d72973eb9950cccc1fdccb25.jpg

20171117_182237.thumb.jpg.813b967a7ef4cfbd90f845380b7b3df9.jpg

20171117_182251.thumb.jpg.8afff45b3a780e49675eff0cddd05553.jpg

20171117_182437.thumb.jpg.41ca3c530e3e44c0639dd761387f9bcb.jpg

There are a lot of lights in the rest of the park, just...not as many.

20171117_182455.thumb.jpg.373182e523ab5a4608315da99809f535.jpg

20171117_182526.thumb.jpg.67e3af933238f33e7d97fad3f82ba644.jpg

20171117_182538.thumb.jpg.ebee02ab9c130dafcd4f207ddc510e72.jpg

20171117_184906.thumb.jpg.e710b948f69988d4d132a6804e2b48e8.jpg

Outlaw Run is really dark at night. Really, really dark.

20171117_182916.thumb.jpg.a4b45065d64916acf7c170cda126daa7.jpg

Short lines for every ride tonight. 10 minutes for Giant Barn Swing.

20171117_185901.thumb.jpg.b6a0dc35bce09ac550052dc1be6d779e.jpg

20171117_190025.thumb.jpg.8db5823db65300baadbc196fe3fec98a.jpg

20171117_190130.thumb.jpg.865555a5c84a9533c84d1b2eb72a4f55.jpg

20171117_190144.thumb.jpg.89d376013b50f2ddbbb5ac840db3aa31.jpg

20171117_190151.thumb.jpg.bfa784d8bca0526d3a294fd8ff298dcb.jpg

20171117_191026.thumb.jpg.7f91c93ffd0775251f72732ba3646b10.jpg

20171117_191054.thumb.jpg.65464f2fe1c8c329671eb6ad90c72b79.jpg

20171117_191108.thumb.jpg.3c2d879713c6ff7e08cdc795f49f9d59.jpg

20171117_191118.thumb.jpg.5252395b2fe6b0ae34486c17cdd96c86.jpg

20171117_191123.thumb.jpg.45836d9e4d2d33aadd952267517283f6.jpg

Now, I know there are a few coaster enthusiasts on here who are disappointed this wasn't an update on Time Traveler progress. Well, this event is too awesome to worry about some silly coaster. You'll just have to wait until next time for those photos.

20171117_191239.thumb.jpg.0ea3904dd21e5cfb4b68ddeb4b33122a.jpg

All right, fine. One construction photo.

Awesome Show & Lights Report, Andrew! Wow. So many lights. As far as I could see,

it "out-Osborned" the old Osborne setup at Hollywood Studios!

And the parade had a lot of neat effects, like the lit up toy soldiers.

You covered it all, and then some, LOL. Thanks for all the great photos Andrew (so many to choose from).

Merry Jingle!

Great photos as always, thanks for sharing!

If SDC doesn't win best Christmas Event this year, I'm going to start some serious shit or something with the Golden Ticket people, lol. You just know that half the people there are going to vote for DW without thinking, and they don't even have the tree this year apparently?

SDC really tried to step it up this year, and it is paying off. The park has been packed at night, even with so much new competition. It's not just other parks that are doing Christmas events, but also other light displays in the area. The barriers to entry are coming down with cheaper LED's and such, but no one can replace all the other stuff that SDC provides.

^ That's also what I figured. That is really a lot of lights for just a few days' assembly. But then, you'll see the strings of lights there, but you disregard them (in your head) in the day time. And of course, they won't be turned on at night....until it's "The Season".

And again, it really is awesome how immersive all the lights are, in those great photos!

Most of the lights are actually there year round. The Christmas in Midtown stuff started back in the spring, with the facades that go above some of the shops. The park does close for a week between Cowboy and Harvest Festival and Old Time Christmas to put up the last things like the Christmas tree in the square. There are actually no shows during the last couple of weeks of Cowboy and Hervest Festival in either the Opera House or Red Gold Heritage Hall just to build the sets for It's a Wonderful Life and A Dickens' Christmas Carol.

This event is not an afterthought. It's not thrown together, and it's not just there to extend the season and make a couple bucks. They plan this stuff, and in many ways, this is the main event of the year.