TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

This kind of coaster appeals strongly to me. I love anything that spins - tilt-a-whirls, Gravitrons, etc - and the faster, the better. I love that disoriented feeling. Definitely am going to have to make it out to SDC at some point to take this out for a...

...wait for it...

...SPIN!!!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The controlled spinning gives me hope. I've stayed away from spinning rides ever since I rode Electro Spin years ago because that ride did not agree with me. However this ride looks too awesome not to try!!! Also I love the fact that car only have lap bars despite the inversions.

Ooooooooooo thankyou Chadster! And that windowed spot you're standing on....

... a viewing platform in the station? Or for something else?

Edited by Nrthwnd

I missed the confirmation of controlled spinning - Can somebody link me a source of that?

VEHICLES/TRAINS: 360° Spinning Vehicles with adjustable magnetic spin control. Total of 3 trains carrying 16 passengers (2 per row; 2 rows per vehicle; 4 per train

From SDC's official page about the ride http://www.silverdollarcity.com/timetraveler#ride-facts

I missed the confirmation of controlled spinning - Can somebody link me a source of that?

Didn't they tout that no ride on TT will be exactly like another? Meaning that your ride is based on free spinning - Not controlled?

By controlled they probably meant that it isn't completely free, rather it can be slowed down and doesn't need external devices to go back to normal position

Didn't they tout that no ride on TT will be exactly like another? Meaning that your ride is based on free spinning - Not controlled?

By controlled they probably meant that it isn't completely free, rather it can be slowed down and doesn't need external devices to go back to normal position

Well yeah, nearly all free spinning coasters have rotational resistance - They're not office chairs

I assumed that "controlled" meant it'd be like Euro Mir

My next visit to the Branson area is tentatively scheduled for mid-March 2019. Please, SDC be open by then so I can ride your (semi) new hotness!

It will be. SDC always opens for Springfield's spring break, which this school year is March 12-16, 2018. Analogous dates for next school year would be March 11-15, 2019. Springfield R-12 is the largest school district in the state, so it's as good as guaranteed that they'll be open at that time. Keep in mind though that during the spring they have some staffing issues and so are open 8 hours a day for 5 days of the week. There's not a good way to predict which two weekdays the park will be closed until the calendar is officially released, and closing times of 5:30 or 6:00 are typical too.

My next visit to the Branson area is tentatively scheduled for mid-March 2019. Please, SDC be open by then so I can ride your (semi) new hotness!

It will be. SDC always opens for Springfield's spring break, which this school year is March 12-16, 2018. Analogous dates for next school year would be March 11-15, 2019. Springfield R-12 is the largest school district in the state, so it's as good as guaranteed that they'll be open at that time. Keep in mind though that during the spring they have some staffing issues and so are open 8 hours a day for 5 days of the week. There's not a good way to predict which two weekdays the park will be closed until the calendar is officially released, and closing times of 5:30 or 6:00 are typical too.

I feel super lucky because my school's spring break is always after Springfield and Branson's spring breaks so when I go to SDC during spring break the crowds will probably be light.

The Northwest Arkansas SB dates are 3/17 thru 3/23 and they are a huge demo for SDC. The exploding NWA area is extremely important for SDC. It's projected to eclipse Tulsa in size in about 15 years time.

I know this post will probably get buried with all the discussion on the new ride, but for those interested here are my photo highlights from today. Got photos and video of the ceremony and as already mentioned, media guests also got to tour the station AND the coaster itself with a construction crew on site actively hanging track. It was really awesome of SDC's staff to let us tour the site and chat with them about this new addition! A shout out to Peter, Jack, Brad, Lisa and everyone else at the park! Thank you for your hospitality!

FULL ALBUM FROM TODAY IS HERE

20882253_10155604484737232_3438411314557337313_n.jpg?oh=fa04555a1a1435710acd4fee91f277d8&oe=5A1D2841

20914612_10155605073722232_3711469267390578483_n.jpg?oh=7409b48f468ee875818dd7950d3cad8b&oe=5A2A0540

20881961_10155605073832232_3071085196478549155_n.jpg?oh=cc8cc4894b252980d3241ce70a3160f1&oe=59EB6601

20799792_10155605073927232_9110849357327000267_n.jpg?oh=87c373ab69e178589d2a39b89f0ad4cc&oe=5A36ACE2

Wow! Track work looks like it is about halfway done. I wouldn't be surprised if all the track gets assembled by the start of the Christmas season! I'm so excited to ride this, even if it does make me vomit! It looks so insane! I think I'll actually be a bit scared to ride! I hope it has a strip of lights on it like on other Mack coaster trains.

I see they are super quiet on the building that certainly is being built mid course which I believe is a show building. You see the stop before launch on the preview video.

Well you're gonna be super disappointed, it's merely going to contain the necessary power equipment for the ride.

I absolutely love this idea of being able to visit the station and get a photo opportunity with the first drop. It's such a cool way to preview a ride, and I think it'd be neat if more parks built the station first and let it be a hype house for renderings and maybe even a kiosk of limited-edition early merchandise.

Edited by Samuel

Ooooooooooo thankyou Chadster! And that windowed spot you're standing on....

... a viewing platform in the station? Or for something else?

Just a one time deal! The train leaves the station and right out onto the drop. I'm standing where the track will eventually go! Totally cool that they did this, it really puts into perspective the magnitude of the ride.

To answer the spinning question, when the cars spin too fast and magnet/fin combination will keep them in check. Sort of like how they slow a train now, but only they applied it to the rotation of the ride. Via the ride designer.

This ride is going to be sweet. Spinning has never bothered me, and thank God, because the sensation of spinning combined with inversions, airtime, speed, launches, and a 90 degree drop, is just going to be insane. This is basically what I dreamed of as a kid, and it's happening at a park I can visit yearly!

I hope it's more of a slow rotation movement than a spin.

ME TOO!!!!! I'm already really nervous about the spinning! I want to experience it because it looks so awesome, but man I cannot handle spinning! Here's hoping it is tolerable.

^ I was hoping that it wasn't automatic spinning, that's really intense.

But it sounds like it will be based on weight allotment and some less slick

grease on the spinning mechanism(s).

My 5 cents.

P.S. Media Viewing Window, where the station track eventually goes?

That was awesome of them to do that, Chadster!

I delayed my first ever trip to SDC until their new coaster was built, and I'm glad I did! This looks great! I will say that all the spinning makes me a little nervous, because although I used to LOVE spinning like a madman, since my mid-30's it hasn't been so kind to me! Hopefully I handle it well though, because this looks fun as heck! I'm thinking my "family vacation" next year will be taking the kids to Branson, and finally enjoying this lovely park, and enjoying some "Time Travel!"