TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Ah, sorry, read that wrong at first. That makes sense then. I'm just not getting my hopes up for it to be very long. I'm thinking it will have a bit of a launch or small lift hill into the big drop, a couple inversions, and then some spinny swoops around. What I'm still most curious about is theming and the potential for tunnels/towers/etc.

I think we're looking at something much larger than Cobar's Curse or the park wouldn't be teasing the media with details about a massive project. Cobra's Curse was cool, but it wasn't on anything I would call close to a large scale project. That's just my opinion. I guess we'll have to see.

The most probable theory remains that its gonna be a hybrid of Helix/Blue Fire with spinning cars on all or part of the trains.

1280px-Helix%2C_Liseberg_2014-04-26_12.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

However the wording in the article could suggest something even more bizarre that we haven't even thought of.

-The park calls it the biggest attraction EVER. It says will by more than double in size than any other attraction.

-Silver Dollar City promises a colossal, world-footprint attraction. This is something that has never been done before at any theme park.

-The attraction is designed for the mountainous terrain of the Ozarks.

-It promises several "FIRST and ONLY" attributes in the world.

I think SDC had perfected "How To Annoy Coaster Enthusiast: 101"

Can't wait for the announcement!! Spinning, no spinning, inverting, non-inverting... whatever this thing is, it's going to be amazing!!

I still hope for little to moderate spinning... but that's just personal preference...

-The park calls it the biggest attraction EVER. It says will by more than double in size than any other attraction.

-Silver Dollar City promises a colossal, world-footprint attraction.

-The attraction is designed for the mountainous terrain of the Ozarks.

I always dreamed of SDC building a coaster that dropped into the ravine on the other side of Indian Point Road, which I believe aligns perfectly to where this new ride is being built. I really don't see that happening, but it would be one big, steep drop.

^Unfortunately, this is also my guess.

Now watch, you guys bash this project for possibly being a spinning coaster, but when it opens, it will be called the best thing since sliced bread. I don't think SDC nor Mack rides could make a dud project.

Watch all you want, there are many of us who are wishing for a traditional helix type coaster over a spinner. Could the spinner be great? Maybe, but I know myself well enough to know I have preferred non spinning coasters to spinning coasters at this point. I don't see how speed or extreme elements could enhance my enjoyment or make the experience less nauseating. Continue to make as many snide remarks as you feel is necessary. If the coaster ends up spinning and I end up loving it, I lose nothing.

Sucks you couldn't fit on Outlaw Run.

Exactly! Not wanting a spinning coaster is not bashing it or claiming it will be a "dud"! It simply means a lot of people don't like, or cant handle spinning!

Now watch, you guys bash this project for possibly being a spinning coaster, but when it opens, it will be called the best thing since sliced bread. I don't think SDC nor Mack rides could make a dud project.

Watch all you want, there are many of us who are wishing for a traditional helix type coaster over a spinner. Could the spinner be great? Maybe, but I know myself well enough to know I have preferred non spinning coasters to spinning coasters at this point. I don't see how speed or extreme elements could enhance my enjoyment or make the experience less nauseating. Continue to make as many snide remarks as you feel is necessary. If the coaster ends up spinning and I end up loving it, I lose nothing.

I completely agree with your feelings here. I don't think I could really get excited about a spinning coaster, even if "extreme." But if there is a non-spinning train or row of seats, I think it'll appeal to a lot more people (including me and many GP). I do get the feeling that if the layout is designed to handle spinning trains, forces will inherently have to be less intense to handle the spinning train at any orientation, thus making it slightly less appealing to me, but I will reserve judgement until we know a lot more.

I do really hope there's something else coming though. I'm hoping to be surprised on 8/16 (Which is basically Enthusiast Christmas at this point!)

I completely agree with your feelings here. I don't think I could really get excited about a spinning coaster, even if "extreme." But if there is a non-spinning train or row of seats, I think it'll appeal to a lot more people (including me and many GP). I do get the feeling that if the layout is designed to handle spinning trains, forces will inherently have to be less intense to handle the spinning train at any orientation, thus making it slightly less appealing to me, but I will reserve judgement until we know a lot more.

I do really hope there's something else coming though. I'm hoping to be surprised on 8/16 (Which is basically Enthusiast Christmas at this point!)

Agree completely

Damn. Why does it seem that on the day I go back to school, all the parks are making their announcements? I'll be excited to see the layout of this new ride and the theme. I've never been crazy about about the theme of the other coasters at SDC but this Time Traveler steam punk theme thing seems like it could be pretty awesome! As much as I'm glad to see my home park getting something so big and awesome, it makes me sad to see that Herschend still isn't giving anything big to Wild Adventures.

I visited the park this week and there were a few things I'd like to mention.

- Outlaw Run must've had its seat belts drastically shortened. For me, the seat belts were a good 5" too short to latch. I'd understand not fitting if I gained weight, but I haven't. I still easily got a green light on the lap bar and I fit in all the other rides the same I have been for years. Saw many people get denied from riding. Talked to one person on the train who may have been 5'8", 185 lbs who said he couldn't fit because of the seat belts, so it's not just me experiencing it. It also seemed to slow down dispatches a lot because I never saw the ride running when we were in the area. They'd be trying to squeeze people in the seat belts for a good 2-3 minutes. That had to be the most restrictive ride I've seen, quite worse than even Lightning Run at KK. Really disappointed me, but didn't ruin my trip.

When was the last time you went before this? I have went 4 times this year and have noticed the seat belts on Outlaw Run seem to have been shortened. I can still fit, but the seat belt is quite snug. I am 6'1 and weigh about 240.

I'm going to SDC later today with one of my best friends. KY3 and KSPR said it will be overcast all day so I'm hopping that the kind of stormy weather keeps people away. Although then again, since it is cloudy it makes it cool and actually kind of pleasant outside........ Either way, I'll see if I can find a good spot to take a picture of the new coaster.

Update: I didn't take any pictures today, I'm SUPER sorry. Well. Actually I did, but it was with my Polaroid instant print and it was mainly pictures with my friend and like flowers and such in the park. The only picture I took of a ride was of the Magnificent Wave Carousel. But my best friend and I went to the park, she isn't much of a coaster enthusiast but I managed to get her on most of the rides, she only refused to get on Firefall and the Giant Barn Swing, but I had no interest in the Giant Barn Swing since it always has a huge line and I don't think it is worth it.

We actually had a grand time. We got to the park at opening, it was pouring down rain. The new said it would stop by ten, it didn't, and it kept raining for another hour. We had breakfast at the bakery. We starting walking to the Grand Exposition area since it was just drizzling by this point. We got to the area that has that house with the cooking classes and it started pouring again. We ran to that house and sat on the porch in some rocking chairs. We sat on the porch in back so we could look out over Echo Hollow and we could also look at the construction site. Our new coaster looks impressive already! The station is HUGE and it seems that they are working on siding it right now. And it seems that they probably about about 100-200 feet of track in place and a bunch of supports put up. Any who, we sat there for about half an hour talking, then we thought it would be a good idea to go find either an umbrella or a poncho. We went to the toy shop at Fireman's Landing and bought one of each! She wore the poncho and I carried the umbrella.

We went over to the Grand Exposition and rode the Royal Tea Party since it was under a pavilion. By that point the rain was letting up. We walked over to the Magnificent Wave Carousel. As soon as we got to the entrance it was barely drizzling. It was at that point that we watched the most hilarious ride on any ride. The ride started up and all the water that had been collected on top of the ride started flinging off soaking everybody on the ride and anybody standing near it (including us). When we rode all the water had been flung off and it stopped raining. The Wave Carousel is still probably my favorite ride in that area and probably one of my favorite flat rides along with Firefall. After that we rode the Electro Spin.

We then went to Outlaw Run. Now, this is probably the prettiest ride I've taken on it. The sky was gray, there was fog in the air, and also it seemed like there was a couple small brush fires in the area because the air smelled a bit smokey and I saw some smoke coming up in multiple places. Any who. Outlaw Run was great as always. Although it was a bit shaky this time, probably since it just rained. Still fun though. Then we had lunch at the fried dough place right next to Fire in the Hole. It was great, but REALLY messy. After that we went to the American Plunge. Now here's the thing, most long flumes I've been on don't get you super wet. The Frightful Falls at Holiday World (currently my favorite log flume) got me pretty wet. And every other time I've ridden the American Plunge I've only gotten misted. Neither of us were expecting to get wet. We hit the water after the drop, and a wave hit me square in the chest and I also get sprayed in the face. Both of us were DRENCHED.

Next we rode Wildfire. Not much to say about that. Great ride, little head bangy, still love it though. Next we went to Thunderation. For some reason, that was the longest line we waited in all day. I don't understand why. We waited twenty minutes to ride. Thunderation surprised me. I've been going to SDC ever since I was a couple months old and my parents carried me in a backpack. Over my sixteen years of life, I've gone to SDC at least a hundred times. Same can be said for Thunderation, I've ridden it at least a hundred times. Each time it has been jerky and a tad bit painful. We rode it today, and it was completely smooth. It didn't jerk us around whatsoever. I almost wanted to ride again, although I didn't want to wait in the line, which was getting longer. After that we walked through the Christmas store for a while, then did the cave tour, then left. Overall, I had a great time.

After SDC we park hopped to White Water. I forgot how much I hate it there. Neither of us had a great time at White Water. I've gone to a decent amount of water parks now, and I have to say, White Water is probably the worst. It isn't that the park is dirty or the employees are unfriendly, well actually they are but every water park I've been to has had unfriendly employees. But it is just so lackluster and expensive. The park is small, but it is the only water park in the area so it still gets tons of guests so even the smallest slide still has a twenty minute wait. We waited thirty minutes for the family raft slide, went to the wave pool, which was packed, then to the lazy river, which was packed, then we rode just some tube slide that had a thirty minute wait. We looked at the lines for the other slides and didn't think any of them were worth it. Every year I've gotten a season pass for SDC and White Water. Every year I've visit White Water at least once to make the pass worth it. I think I'm just going to drop White Water next year, it isn't worth the extra forty dollars. I'll always get the SDC season pass though, I go probably at least five times a year and of course when you buy things in the park you get a discount, it turns prices that are high into prices that are fair!

It was also great to see a bunch of my schoolmates at both parks. At Spokane High School, 1/3 of the students work at the Track parks, another 1/3 works at Lambert's, and the last 1/3 works at SDC/White Water.

Oh, one last thing that I noticed. When we were driving past Celebration City, I noticed that they took down Roaring Falls. All the rides are now gone from there. Although the Carousel should still be there.

I like the unpredictability of American Plunge. I agree most rides you just get a splash or so but every once in a while BAM. The first time I rode it was in mid April, 50 degrees. Talk about a way to stay cool in the park

68555_10200524879035717_1345806650_n.thumb.jpg.3fa7a6bf0efb0bfa12913ac34f51cc27.jpg

Kids in winter coats but they wouldn't be dissuaded

I like the unpredictability of American Plunge. I agree most rides you just get a splash or so but every once in a while BAM. The first time I rode it was in mid April, 50 degrees. Talk about a way to stay cool in the park

Lol. Luckily it was about ninety-two degrees in the park so neither of us were complaining. It was just super surprising! I loved it. Do you by any chance know who manufactured their flume? The way the lift looks make it look like it was built in-house but it opened in the early 80's so it is very possible that it could be an Arrow flume.

^ The original Jim Owens' Float Trip was designed and built in house, but Arrow was contracted to build the American Plunge sections in 1982. Finally, another contractor, and I'm not sure who, was brought in to build the tunnel in the 2001 renovation accompanying Wildfire. So what we have now is a beautiful hybrid.

I visited the park this week and there were a few things I'd like to mention.

- Outlaw Run must've had its seat belts drastically shortened. For me, the seat belts were a good 5" too short to latch. I'd understand not fitting if I gained weight, but I haven't. I still easily got a green light on the lap bar and I fit in all the other rides the same I have been for years. Saw many people get denied from riding. Talked to one person on the train who may have been 5'8", 185 lbs who said he couldn't fit because of the seat belts, so it's not just me experiencing it. It also seemed to slow down dispatches a lot because I never saw the ride running when we were in the area. They'd be trying to squeeze people in the seat belts for a good 2-3 minutes. That had to be the most restrictive ride I've seen, quite worse than even Lightning Run at KK. Really disappointed me, but didn't ruin my trip.

When was the last time you went before this? I have went 4 times this year and have noticed the seat belts on Outlaw Run seem to have been shortened. I can still fit, but the seat belt is quite snug. I am 6'1 and weigh about 240.

The last visit I had to the park when I fit in Outlaw Run was October 2016. A friend of mine said the seatbelts were first shortened around Christmas. I visited in March of this year and had an extremely tight fit in the seatbelts. Ride operator told me that "the new seatbelts hadn't stretched out yet". It seems that the seatbelts hadn't stretched from my last visit, but seemed to be shortened yet again. I'm 5'11 and about 240 as well, and the seatbelt was about 5" too short to connect. I easily cleared the lap bar though.

^ The original Jim Owens' Float Trip was designed and built in house, but Arrow was contracted to build the American Plunge sections in 1982. Finally, another contractor, and I'm not sure who, was brought in to build the tunnel in the 2001 renovation accompanying Wildfire. So what we have now is a beautiful hybrid.

Thanks for the info!

I haven't heard about a 2001 tunnel renovation. I thought it had a re-purposed Jim Owens tunnel until 2005-ish when they replaced it with the current boring empty concrete tunnel due to structural issues. It's a shame they didn't use more of the old Jim Owen's flume. I think it's kind of funny how much of it is still just out there in the woods with in-tact theming and all. Without the old tunnel, it's a much more "blah" ride than any ride at SDC should be.

I haven't heard about a 2001 tunnel renovation. I thought it had a re-purposed Jim Owens tunnel until 2005-ish when they replaced it with the current boring empty concrete tunnel due to structural issues. It's a shame they didn't use more of the old Jim Owen's flume. I think it's kind of funny how much of it is still just out there in the woods with in-tact theming and all. Without the old tunnel, it's a much more "blah" ride than any ride at SDC should be.

There used to be more themeing on the American Plunge? I was born in the summer of 2001 and the way it is now is how I've always remembered it. I've perfectly okey with the amount of themeing on it, which it is basically that one scene with the dog pulling the guy out of the water. I mean my favorite log flume (Frightful Falls at Holiday World) doesn't have any themeing.

After SDC we park hopped to White Water. I forgot how much I hate it there. Neither of us had a great time at White Water. I've gone to a decent amount of water parks now, and I have to say, White Water is probably the worst. It isn't that the park is dirty or the employees are unfriendly, well actually they are but every water park I've been to has had unfriendly employees. But it is just so lackluster and expensive. The park is small, but it is the only water park in the area so it still gets tons of guests so even the smallest slide still has a twenty minute wait. We waited thirty minutes for the family raft slide, went to the wave pool, which was packed, then to the lazy river, which was packed, then we rode just some tube slide that had a thirty minute wait. We looked at the lines for the other slides and didn't think any of them were worth it. Every year I've gotten a season pass for SDC and White Water. Every year I've visit White Water at least once to make the pass worth it. I think I'm just going to drop White Water next year, it isn't worth the extra forty dollars. I'll always get the SDC season pass though, I go probably at least five times a year and of course when you buy things in the park you get a discount, it turns prices that are high into prices that are fair!

WW is an AMAZING PARK! It is the biggest in the area, biggest I (and most locals) have ever bern to, and the best I have ever been to. It is SOOOOOO much better than SDC. The admission price is cheap and worth it for everything there is. There is no water park in this area that has slides/attractions like they have. There is no "family raft slide". Do you mean Ohana Falls? It holds 2-4 people. It cant hold a whole family.

I may be misremembering then. I thought the new blah tunnel was built at the same time as Wildfire. The old Jim Owens tunnel was awesome. That ride was so much better before Wildfire.

WW is an AMAZING PARK! It is the biggest in the area, biggest I (and most locals) have ever bern to, and the best I have ever been to. It is SOOOOOO much better than SDC. The admission price is cheap and worth it for everything there is. There is no water park in this area that has slides/attractions like they have. There is no "family raft slide". Do you mean Ohana Falls? It holds 2-4 people. It cant hold a whole family.

Yeah, I mean Ohana Falls. Each raft can hold five people, that's pretty much a family. It is the biggest in the area, but that isn't saying much considering it is the ONLY water park in Southwest, Missouri. It is only thirteen acres so it is on the smaller side for water parks. I can criticize you for liking it better than SDC considering I liked Celebration City better than SDC back when it was still open. It is definitely my least favorite water park though. There is nothing there that just stands out. Here's how I rank the water parks I've been to: 10. White Water 9. Big Surf (Lake of the Ozarks) 8. Oceans of Fun (Worlds of Fun) 7. Hurricane Harbor (Six Flags St. Louis) 6. Hurricane Harbor (Six Flags Over Texas) 5. Soak City (Kings Island) 4. Splashin Safari (Holiday World) 3. Adventure Bay (Adventureland) 2. Hurricane Bay (Kentucky Kingdom) 1. Crystal Falls (Magic Springs) I would probably like White Water more if it actually had something semi-unique. Maybe a master blaster or a good slide complex. My favorite slide complex is that one at Crystal Falls, it has two bowl slides, two regular slides, and then three super fun speed slides up top.

I may be misremembering then. I thought the new blah tunnel was built at the same time as Wildfire. The old Jim Owens tunnel was awesome. That ride was so much better before Wildfire.

I definitely remember the old scenes being there with Wildfire at the same time, but they started working on Powderkeg in 2004 and the tunnel would have been redone then. IIRC, they used the land above the tunnel for staging some stuff and accidentally damaged the tunnel in the process because it wasn't designed for heavy equipment to be driving around on the surface... or at least that was the rumor at the time. Some stuff like that simply gets old and has to be replaced, and when they do so they often do it cheaply. It's been 13 years now...

I was at the park today (I'll be there tomorrow as well and expect a trip report tomorrow), and I don't know if this has been pointed out, but a piece of black track (looked like Mack track) is visible from Thunderation. The station looks nice, and it looks as if the coaster will launch (?) away from thunderation. It also looks like it will be visible entering and leaving the park.