TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

MAN! If it's anything like the new Mack previewed in WB Australia, this thing is gonna kick serious @$$!!!!!!

SFStL better do something...quick.

Worlds of Fun and Six Flags at this point should just prepare for a beating. You'd have to be absolutely out of your mind to pick Mamba and Prowler or Mr. Freeze and American Thunder as opposed to Outlaw Run and this new bada$$ Mack. Even if they took out Outlaw Run tomorrow, the park would still be a much better place to visit.

Cedar Fair and Six Flags, please prepare to take this L.

Yes. 100% correct.

Worlds of Fun and Six Flags at this point should just prepare for a beating. You'd have to be absolutely out of your mind to pick Mamba and Prowler or Mr. Freeze and American Thunder as opposed to Outlaw Run and this new bada$$ Mack. Even if they took out Outlaw Run tomorrow, the park would still be a much better place to visit.

Cedar Fair and Six Flags, please prepare to take this L.

I won't dispute which is a better park to visit. Nor will I argue over which park for an out-of-state visitor to choose if they can go to just one. But to think this will seriously effect SFStL or WoF is very myopic. If every park goer in the Missouri area was given a choice to go to only one park one time, SDC could be the winner. However, the vast majority of visitors to SFStL and WoF have to concern themselves with travel. While neither park is entirely convenient to it's own market, they are clearly closer than SDC. $100 could provide someone a year worth of visits to SFStL (slightly more for WoF ) but that might afford only one trip to SDC.

This becomes more than one-time park experience quality over quantity issue as the money goes much further across a whole summer in St Louis or Kansas City .

Edited by larrygator

Whereas WOF and SFStL are obviously built around their local patrons, SDC is potentially competing to become a major resort destination for the entire midwest/central plains. I strongly feel that the next steps after this new coaster are an expanded front gate and a resort hotel. SDC is never going to have much of a true local crowd other than the Springfield metro, but there is still a certain segment of theme park-going crowd they can still steal away from the other parks.

The competition between all three parks is multi-layered and probably too complex for all us armchair park managers to understand, but certainly this new coaster will at least temporarily pull more people to Branson vs. WOF or SFStL. A lot of people buy one set of season passes per year and that is the extent of their theme parking for the year. I know if I lived in Kansas City, a year or two of SDC season tickets would look much more appealing right now then going back to WOF again. Some people will make the choice of giving up multiple trips to SFStL in favor of a trip or two to Branson. A lot of people won't, but some will.

But this coaster is looking great so far. Nothing insane yet, but the size of these big sweeping turns tells us that there is a lot more in store.

Whereas WOF and SFStL are obviously built around their local patrons, SDC is potentially competing to become a major resort destination for the entire midwest/central plains. I strongly feel that the next steps after this new coaster are an expanded front gate and a resort hotel. SDC is never going to have much of a true local crowd other than the Springfield metro, but there is still a certain segment of theme park-going crowd they can still steal away from the other parks.

The competition between all three parks is multi-layered and probably too complex for all us armchair park managers to understand, but certainly this new coaster will at least temporarily pull more people to Branson vs. WOF or SFStL. A lot of people buy one set of season passes per year and that is the extent of their theme parking for the year. I know if I lived in Kansas City, a year or two of SDC season tickets would look much more appealing right now then going back to WOF again. Some people will make the choice of giving up multiple trips to SFStL in favor of a trip or two to Branson. A lot of people won't, but some will.

But this coaster is looking great so far. Nothing insane yet, but the size of these big sweeping turns tells us that there is a lot more in store.

Something I would like to mention that is often overlooked is the rapidly growing and diversifying population in NW Arkansas that often brings tourists to the area. Branson and SDC have identified this and have began to diversify and expand themselves in recent years (since the recession) as a result.

If I dare call it as such, the metro area of NW Arkansas (all the smaller cities have basically grown together into a small metroplex) is a combined half million (500,000+) people according to the latest census. Springfield is merely at 170,000 people in comparison. That is a huge (and diverse) demographic to tap into within a 2 hour drive of Branson and the park.

On a side note I found this interesting construction photo from a Google image search earlier today. I still wonder what that large pit and strange concrete structure in the foreground is gonna be for? A large inversion footing?

18955063_1509746569099679_6047954107066069280_o.thumb.jpg.2c99a1597e2f3dd9f749ac33ff24e84a.jpg

This project has really gotten my antennae up. Really hoping for something along the lines of Helix or Taron in terms of ride style. SDC does such a good job with their rides that I know it'll be amazing whatever it turns out to be.

It's not half a million, as that would make it bigger than Kansas City, St. Louis, or Tulsa, which is obviously not the case. But let's get some hard data.

Walmarton's population (2014):

Bentonville - 41,613

Fayetteville - 80,621

Rogers - 61,464

Springdale - 76,565

Total 260,263

That's significant, and a fair bit bigger than Springfield's 165,378. It's also bigger than Little Rock's 197,706, for what that's worth.

However, since the suburbanization of the 1950s, you also have to talk about metro areas, and Walmarton's metro, while fast growing, isn't built out as much. It totals 463,204, whereas Springfield's metro area is 541,991. Springfield is growing too, but at a much more mature, slower rate, so Walmarton will eventually overtake us, but not yet.

^It's becoming common for SDC. Scroll back to the posts from 2012 when Outlaw Run was under construction. Every new element was blowing our minds because the park itself wasn't even hinting at what was going on. That thing was nearly complete by August of that year with it opening for the start of the season in March 2013.

^^I guess it depends on your perspective for how large the turns are. The layout of this site is kind of distorted into a bean shape around the amphitheater, so it's hard to get a good look at the whole thing. I wish we had an aerial. The turns look drawn out enough to be good for a wild spinning coaster though...

I don't really think the turn looks that compact from this angle. I think it's still possible for it to just be a turn in mid-course of a non-spinning coaster.

For example:

Even though this was the Mack mega launch coaster that tested the spinning car, this could go either way.

And then of course this one says it all:

I see this coaster being the best of both worlds with Helix and Blue Fire.

Edited by sdcfan88

I don't really think the turn looks that compact from this angle. I think it's still possible for it to just be a turn in mid-course of a non-spinning coaster.

For example:

Even though this was the Mack mega launch coaster that tested the spinning car, this could go either way.

Weird they showed a couple vids of Maverick!

Great vid though....hope it's a hybrid of BF and Helix. It'd be unique to the states....and we all know how Herschend likes to roll the dice on firsts!

^It's becoming common for SDC. Scroll back to the posts from 2012 when Outlaw Run was under construction. Every new element was blowing our minds because the park itself wasn't even hinting at what was going on. That thing was nearly complete by August of that year with it opening for the start of the season in March 2013.

I hope Knott's doesn't do that.

^Cedar Point & Kings Dominion have yet to announce theirs and likely won't until August or September. They've both been under construction for some time. While those of us in the enthusiast world know what they are and some of their layouts, the GP just thinks "Oh they're doing something to that ride over there. I hope it will be smooth when they finish it". The same will likely be with the other Cedar Fair parks...Knott's included (sorry to burst your bubble). Some companies don't even bother announcing until after the park is closed for the season...like BGW did with Tempesto, even though we could clearly see them constructing it (mind you that was very abnormal for the parent company).

^Parks announce when they stand to make the most money for the following season. This is why most chains wait until September to announce their new attractions, as it gives time for guests to renew or purchase annual passes for next year.

If you announce earlier, you risk guests choosing not to visit that summer and waiting until the next season, losing out on that revenue.

But Knott's is yesr round and they don't have a season pass season. You can get one anytime and it's good for twelve months. It doesn't make any sense to wait.

I know this is off topic, but you are wrong. Knott's does not offer passes that last 12 months. Their passes go until December 31st, which is why it makes the most sense to purchase them at the start of the year. They do have a season pass season... it just lasts from January to December!

Back on topic, this is looking CRAZY! If it turns out anything like Helix, SDC really has a winner. The US really needs more good Mack coasters! I lowkey hope this isn't a spinning coaster... a good 'ol terrain coaster with beautiful Mack trains is all it takes to win me over.

But Knott's is yesr round and they don't have a season pass season. You can get one anytime and it's good for twelve months. It doesn't make any sense to wait.

Since most people generally attend parks during spring and summer, it makes perfect sense...even at year-round parks. Announcing at the end of the summer season gives people a reason to return the following year, especially if they aren't local. Attraction announcements boost season pass sales, especially for people who may not have come back or renewed for the next season/year if nothing significant was added.

Also as someone before me mentioned, the passes are only good for the year they purchased them for. So the only chance they get it for 12 months is if they purchase it by January 1st. Of you buy it in July you still only get until Dec 31st to use it. So in Knott's case, waiting until late summer is the perfect time to hype up the next year's additions.

Anyways, back to our scheduled discussion...

I hope to be able to visit Silver Dollar City some day. It looks like a great park with an exciting addition coming next year.

I know this is off topic, but you are wrong. Knott's does not offer passes that last 12 months. Their passes go until December 31st, which is why it makes the most sense to purchase them at the start of the year. They do have a season pass season... it just lasts from January to December!

I know this isn't the Knott's thread so I'll just say this one thing and then go away. I remember the season used to be the way I described. Then again it has been a very long time since I had one seeing as I don't live in California. But I got one years ago when I was going to UCLA. I also had Disneyland (Boy that one went up in price. I remember it was around $150 bucks for one back in the day) and Magic Mountain passes. I guess things are different in which case you are correct and it does make sense.

Anybody have a lead on discount silver dollar city tickets? I can't seem to find ANY discounts on tickets(outside of a local $5 off mcdonald's coupon)? Being a family of 5, ticket prices add up fast so any discount helps.

Thank you for any help.

Those $5 off coupons are often about as good as it gets. SDC doesn't run a lot of promotions. Sometimes they have special Thursday deals, but even those are often limited. One way to get a discount is to look around for people willing to give away their Bring-a-friend passes. The catch is that the season pass holder has to come with you and verify that you are their guest (just to get through the turnstiles). It's not unheard of to find someone at the entrance who is looking to give them away. You can also see if any of the passholders on 1branson.com or sdcfans are going on the same day as you so you can meet up with them - I've seen that work out a few times. Of course that deal is again limited because there are only certain dates you can use those passes...

Actually now that I think of it, the best deals are found at the local hotels. Usually every hotel in Branson offers discount tickets if you are staying there.

Thought I would share a few pics from the MIG update that was recently published. Do these images provide evidence that point more to the Time Traveler theme/name?

Link: http://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2017/06/time-traveler-construction-sdc_18.html?m=1

However also in a recent article in the Springfield Business Journal, there is an article on SDC publicity spokesperson Lisa Rau. It's kind of "Day in the Life" piece. It mentions a super secret morning meeting that she had. This is the same person that stated earlier this year that this project was the single biggest thing ever, EVER done in the parks history.

"We're calling it MM18 - Mountain Mystery 2018," she says of the meeting. "Only the highest level people know right now: we haven't even told the employees yet."

Here is the link to those interested, beyond the 2018 coaster talk its worth the read: http://sbj.net/Content/ENEWS-ARTICLES/ENEWS-ARTICLES/Article/Day-in-the-Life-With-Lisa-Rau/29/82/109666

And also "Wild Mountain" (as seen on some signs at the park over the past few months) was also trademarked along with "Time Traveler". Time will tell which will be the official name/theme. We are just over a month away from the official announcement.

WildMountainTrademark.thumb.png.a5c0a1ac31d3f134f47ec8d9c42f87f7.png

TimeTravelerTrademark.thumb.png.4bb13afcd721e4f9f19513ee70841639.png