TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

Well to get a bit geeky myself with the coaster in question for SDC, here's my perspective on it, I am not in the know but just from all that has developed over the past couple months and from my past three visits, its 99.95% likely to be a Mack coaster. My further take on it, while its commonly assumed right now to be a spinning coaster themed to faux time traveling, I think its gonna be the U.S. Version of Helix and its gonna be called Wild Mountain or have Mountain in the name as the coaster station is essentially on top of a mountain. Also with the coaster likely being a terrain coaster and having a likely first drop right out of the station this further supports my suspicions of it being a Helix-esque coaster. Whether it will have launches later in the course of the ride or spinning cars remains in question but I can see them adding it for marketing reasons.

I also seeing it being themed to the 2nd concept with the mining which describes mountains and a big plunge, the station does look a lot like the building in the concept art as well. Another big clue I noticed is how they never removed the old entry arch to Thunderation (including the ore carts they just rebuilt last year on top of it) despite ripping out the old zig-zag pathway for building the new coasters queue line in its place. Why would they refurb the archway and its theming for a 20 something year old ride if they were gonna remove the queue line and relocate the Thunderation sign a year later? Because they were re-purposing it for the 2018 addition. This park is famous for doing stuff like that. (Celebration City rides/theming, Balloon Ride at Firemans Landing, OzCat parts used on Outlaw Run) Mining is the general theme of the park and many of their rides do share this common theme to some degree or another. (TNT AKA ThuNderaTion, Powder Keg, Flooded Mine, Ore Cart .etc) I have also heard from a couple sources at the park over my past couple visits that they are hiding the secret behind the coaster's theme/name in plain sight as they have been propping up more teaser signs around the park in regards to it.

While some might find it farfetched, I am under the impression they might setup this coaster like Blue Fire being similar to the old setup used on Thunderation with the optional backwards seating. Of course instead of the backwards cars, there will be optional spinning cars like they did on Blue Fire. All of this above would fit the description of it being the biggest thing ever done at SDC and the rumored $30M price tag. Sure I might be overthinking all this, but when you start putting 2+2 together it seems to make the most sense. The official announcement looks to be in August still so we will see.

I agree that the mountain/mining theme is a very real possibility still. There were actually two concept surveys about a spinning coaster with a plunge. The first one was widely publicized with themes of Rodeo, Mystery Mine, and Time Traveler. The second survey had a more targeted rodeo style theme and another take on the mining theme. They took out the trademark for Time Traveler, so everyone kind of assumed that their choice was made, and the second survey was glossed over. Perhaps the Time Traveler theme was a red herring from the beginning and they were choosing between the rodeo and mining themes.

It's also possible that they started out with the time traveler theme, then switched soon after construction first started. There was a rumor at the time that the design had changed after a bunch of the survey stakes moved around. It was apparently originally slated to cross over TNT instead of merely coming super close. Who knows with these kinds of projects, but it's not unheard of for SDC to have several options thoroughly prepared, and then switch some things at the last moment. I'm sure they will tinker with the theme continuously based on what they still have in the budget and what thematic elements they can get their hands on.

It's really hard to tell what all is going on with the big concrete boxes and such, but it is very possible that this ride will have multiple tunnels and towers/mineshafts. I've been too quick to write off the possibility of much theming going in among all these footers, but it's been pointed out to me that a lot of thematic elements are not worked on until after the ride is pretty much built. With the amount they are spending and the continued implication of some sort of "plunge" out of a tower, it definitely seems like there will be some major set pieces on this ride.

Well, I went and looked at the concept art, and I'd say the Rodeo theme is out of the running; the station building in the concept art was designed to look like a barn, which is not the case with what's been built.

As for the Mine versus Time Traveler theme... Well, the stations look similar in their art; both feature the little extra topper that was just added to the station a couple weeks ago. All three themes' art showed a "tower plunge."

Unique to the Mine theme art versus the other two is it does show a tunnel on the coaster, and it's the only art that doesn't show what the coaster cars look like (the other two themes' art emphasize the spinning cars).

"Time Traveler," "Wild Mountain," and "Mountain Wings" are all three still Live on the Trademark search. TT was filed in December; WM & MW were filed within two days of each other in February of this year. All three were "published for opposition" on April 18 of this year.

Personally, I'm hoping sdcfan88 is right and they'll have gone with the Mine theme and that this will be like Helix and that if there's a spinning car, it'll be an option like the TnT backwards car.

If they are indeed hiding the name/theme in plain sight, then I'd guess it would be "Wild Mountain." I haven't seen the other two trademarked names on the teaser signs.

It's also possible that they started out with the time traveler theme, then switched soon after construction first started. There was a rumor at the time that the design had changed after a bunch of the survey stakes moved around. It was apparently originally slated to cross over TNT instead of merely coming super close. Who knows with these kinds of projects, but it's not unheard of for SDC to have several options thoroughly prepared, and then switch some things at the last moment. I'm sure they will tinker with the theme continuously based on what they still have in the budget and what thematic elements they can get their hands on.

Interestingly enough, the guys at Screamscape seem to be in agreement on that assessment. (scroll down to the 5/8 & 5/19 posts) http://www.screamscape.com/html/silver_dollar_city.htm

Forgot to add this to my post the other day. Here are the columns in the back area that can be seen from the train.

18672909_10155322026637232_2941930223769782900_o.thumb.jpg.bbb25b20373f8352fc6379531b87ad2c.jpg

TRACK IS NOW GOING UP!

It does indeed appear to be Mack track - kinda dark green in color? I did not expect them to start adding track this fast for some reason. Can't wait to see what kind of tangled mess of track this thing is going to become. There's enough footers in place for all kinds of craziness.

Holy moly! They are seriously throwing this together since I grabbed pics of the supports last week! Could it be possible the whole coaster could be constructed by the fall and maybe testing for a soft opening in time for Christmas? It would also be neat if they make a large overlook platform like the one on Wildfire so we can see both coasters from a non riders perspective.

It looks just like the track on Helix, including the color. I like it. And if this ride is as big or long as that coaster, SDC has got a winner on their hands.

Edited by sdcfan88

...It would also be neat if they make a large overlook platform like the one on Wildfire so we can see both coasters from a non riders perspective.

I would be willing to bet that they will have some sort of observation area for this coaster. Not sure how large it might be, but given Wildfire has it's observation area, as does Powder Keg, and Outlaw Run... At this point I really couldn't see the park building a new coaster and not having an observation area.

^Wildfire has the only true observation area. PK just has a bit of path next to the launch that was leftover from the Buzzsaw Days when they were going to add a bunch of crafts/shops up there. OR just has a little exit path that is accessible, but the track is out in the woods so there wasn't much of an option there.

Wildfire's observation area is incredible though - it's a something I've really wanted more parks to look into wherever it can be worked into a design. With this ride being on a hillside, all they have to do is add a deck on the other side of the station and it will be perfect. Time will tell if that is in the plans. If not, we'll still have the back porch of the culinary school.

Here are my photos from the track getting hung today. I grabbed some video as well. They also appear to be pouring yet even more large footer structures of some sort. That one below the station was new since my last visit.

18836798_10155343473402232_2145289409818391977_o.thumb.jpg.47873ef98216d75b235e0820008ec22c.jpg

18766720_10155343473332232_636124572872197810_o.thumb.jpg.2d0a8c756b2b0e87f8a5faa2ad92fc74.jpg

18766779_10155343473507232_8681802566018411833_o.thumb.jpg.06238a925be02e7e0251b08c8dc491cf.jpg

18768426_10155343473607232_19469765307917089_o.thumb.jpg.fc28e637892bec5b7843151e690a1a05.jpg