TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

p. 274: New Fire in the Hole announced for 2024!

I'm aware this thread sometimes doubles as a Branson discussion thread, so I feel it's appropriate to post this here. We were driving down the step and we noticed that a new alpine coaster is being built on the former site of the Chute water slide. This one, unlike the first one to open in the area, is a wiegand model. I wasn't sure if it was announced yet or not, but according to someone on Facebook, it has been. It looks like it will be a very unique experience due to the small space. It looks to have two lifts, one in the middle of the ride and at the end. It's easier to understand when you see the blueprint.

IMG_0917.thumb.JPG.43916b68388acd2776e3fc915f40711e.JPG

The mountain coaster was announced last month I believe, and the company behind it is actually bringing three other new attractions to Branson at the same time: a mirror maze, an arcade, and most importantly a "7D" dark ride experience which will be located at Branson Landing. More info: http://www.hometowndailynews.com/2017/02/15/two-new-branson-attractions-totaling-over-5million-announced/

It's hard to get terribly excited for mountain coasters, but perhaps the competition from this one will help keep prices down at the other, IMO probably better, one we already have.

Also: the new drop tower is vertical and rising. It appears that it is going to be an Intamin tower similar to the recent SF versions that were added to coaster towers.

It's almost like there's an entire extra amusement park that's been added to Branson over the last couple of years, but this time you have to drive to each ride and pay a separate fee.

Thats kinda what theyre striving for in the Spirit of 76. New experiences or parks scattered around to make the town look better and bring more tourists in. Also to make them park somewhere and walk more or at least do very little driving on the strip.

Sent from my SM-S902L using Tapatalk

You are right about them adding lots of new stuff. Just a couple months ago Adventureland opened and has like a bunch of rock walls and they purchased and built the old ropes courses from Old Town in Florida, then the Track bought and rebuilt the old Chicago Ferris Wheel, there are many of these mountain coasters popping up, and there was something proposed called "Bigfoot on the Strip" and some people bought a piece of land across the street from White Water and they are wanting to build one of those combo towers from Soaring Eagle with a drop tower, slingshot ride, etc.

I went to SDC today. And may I just say, do NOT go to the park on a Thursday through May 30th, they are doing half price Thursdays ($35) and it was INSANE. A security guard told me they were only expecting about 6,500 visitors today, I wouldn't be surprised if it was tripled that today. All the lots were full, there were lines just for the FOOD stands, the line for Wildfire was insane! They actually used the SECOND FLOOR queue which I never knew existed! The only line that wasn't insane was for Outlaw Run, and the line was only 15 minutes. I only rode four things: Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Thunderation (which they moved the entrance for due to construction), and Firefall (my favorite ride in the park). Then I grabbed an apple turnover at the bakery by Grandfather's Mansion, then left. BTW, I watched the construction for a while, they have the station built for the most part, and it is HUGE! It looks like a tower! Can't wait to ride whatever it is next year!

I wonder if it was spring break for area schools, which would have increased lines

I went to SDC today. And may I just say, do NOT go to the park on a Thursday through May 30th, they are doing half price Thursdays ($35) and it was INSANE. A security guard told me they were only expecting about 6,500 visitors today, I wouldn't be surprised if it was tripled that today. All the lots were full, there were lines just for the FOOD stands, the line for Wildfire was insane! They actually used the SECOND FLOOR queue which I never knew existed! The only line that wasn't insane was for Outlaw Run, and the line was only 15 minutes. I only rode four things: Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Thunderation (which they moved the entrance for due to construction), and Firefall (my favorite ride in the park). Then I grabbed an apple turnover at the bakery by Grandfather's Mansion, then left. BTW, I watched the construction for a while, they have the station built for the most part, and it is HUGE! It looks like a tower! Can't wait to ride whatever it is next year!

I wonder if it was spring break for area schools, which would have increased lines

Yes, it was. Thursdays should be fine once the Festival of Wonder begins.

I'm surprised that this discussion thread is so dead right now. IMO you have the second best 2018 Mystery Project next to Mean Streak. And actually probably the most anticipated as we still don't know exactly what is going in. On that note, you have anymore of them construction updates?

I'm sure there will be another flood of updates in a week and a half when the new festival of wonder starts. I plan on being there so I'll have some photos to share as well.

It is nuts how big this project is going to be, going by all indications that the park has given - but it's tough to excite people who aren't close until the actual track starts showing up.

Ok...fine...I'll post the pictures I snapped last weekend. I'm a total novice, and more of a reader than poster, so sorry if these suck.

I did engage in some conversations with employees on my trip. The first one had the guy having fun with it. He even told me what it's name is: "incomplete". Yuk yuk...

A second kid though got really into a dorky coaster conversation with me. Super nice kid. Couldn't say enough about phantoms revenge (never been on it, nor to that park). Started discussing 2018 project. He became a little insider-y about it, but didn't want to give me anything. I started dropping what research I had conducted on it. He was rolling with it, and then I dropped that I "knew" it is being built by Mack...and he got very wide eyed and suspiciously quiet.

Without confirming it...he basically confirmed it. Ish.

I'll be back in June. Going to dig some more. The station, area, and footers are impressive in scope.

20170325_131254.thumb.jpg.c924ed8f8f9392d8228359066b8e3619.jpg

20170325_131201.thumb.jpg.c2508109b524f5c08bf13e59f8dc11fc.jpg

Ok...fine...I'll post the pictures I snapped last weekend. I'm a total novice, and more of a reader than poster, so sorry if these suck.

I did engage in some conversations with employees on my trip. The first one had the guy having fun with it. He even told me what it's name is: "incomplete". Yuk yuk...

A second kid though got really into a dorky coaster conversation with me. Super nice kid. Couldn't say enough about phantoms revenge (never been on it, nor to that park). Started discussing 2018 project. He became a little insider-y about it, but didn't want to give me anything. I started dropping what research I had conducted on it. He was rolling with it, and then I dropped that I "knew" it is being built by Mack...and he got very wide eyed and suspiciously quiet.

Without confirming it...he basically confirmed it. Ish.

I'll be back in June. Going to dig some more. The station, area, and footers are impressive in scope.

The site and scope of the station in person is breathtaking. I think Silver Dollar City has a real "Best New Ride of 2018" contender here.

The site and scope of the station in person is breathtaking. I think Silver Dollar City has a real "Best New Ride of 2018" contender here.

Based on the size of the station? We don't even know what type of coaster this is going to be, let alone the layout, theme, gimmicks, etc.

It'll be a runner-up to RMC Mean Streak. But SDC is still one of my favorite parks and am greatly intrigued by this new Mack coaster.

Based on the size of the station? We don't even know what type of coaster this is going to be, let alone the layout, theme, gimmicks, etc.

The footers are all in place. No, we don't know the exact layout, but we do know the size of the coaster, and this thing is massive. Longer than Powder Keg easily.

That station is so strangely massive!!

Can't wait to see this thing progress!! I'm still hoping for it to either be non, or mild spinning.

Agreed. Based on everything I have seen and read about so far I am thinking (hoping) it is gonna be similar to Mack's Helix or Lost Gravity coasters. Perhaps a combination of both.

That station is so strangely massive!!

Can't wait to see this thing progress!! I'm still hoping for it to either be non, or mild spinning.

Agreed. Based on everything I have seen and read about so far I am thinking (hoping) it is gonna be similar to Mack's Helix or Lost Gravity coasters. Perhaps a combination of both.

Since you mentioned Macks Helix, the station design totally makes sense.

A medium drop out of the station like Helix and a huge launch mid ride to give it enough to

Get back up to the top floor of the station. The rest of the station being theming... Gold mine or whatever

Souvenir shop also in it. I don't know anything, just throwing out ideas.

So, land clearing and a massive station automatically qualifies this ride for such award before we even see the layout? You know what other ride had a lot of land clearing and a huge station? Raging Bull.

So, land clearing and a massive station automatically qualifies this ride for such award before we even see the layout? You know what other ride had a lot of land clearing and a huge station? Raging Bull.

Every ride that opens in 2018 is qualified for the award...that's the point of the award. It's the Best New Ride of 2018. Unless it opens in 2019, it's a contender. When the park openly says that this is their biggest attraction yet, and the park has produced quality products in the past (the last of which won Best New Ride) I don't think it's that big of a stretch to assume that the ride at least has a chance of winning.

"Qualified" and "contender" are not synonyms. When Terry Malloy said he could have been a contender, he isn't pining to meet the basic qualifications of a boxer. He means he had a good shot at winning, but Friendly's rigging the fight for financial gain ruined that chance. It's not a statement of regret, it's an accusation.