Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 269: Kid-friendly Halloween & lights-on Stranger Things!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby FeelTheFORCE » Sat May 12, 2018 5:26 pm

Jew wrote:Harry Potter is here to stay. It's the modern equivalent of Star Wars. An entire generation grew up with it.

That was more of a "there's a better chance of people losing interest in Harry Potter than dinosaurs" comment, I wasn't insinuating that interest in HP is waning. That said, I don't know if I'd consider HP that iconic. I'd put it more on par with Lord of the ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings. Many people have seen it, but there are still a whole lot that haven't.
Total: 240 | Steel: 183 | Wooden: 57

Last Coaster Ridden: Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion on August 24, 2018.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Sun May 13, 2018 12:43 am

The Harry Potter movies are the 3rd highest grossing franchise in history behind only Marvel's current cinematic universe and Star Wars. That doesn't even include how many kids read the book. If you are arguing that designing a land based on the assumption that all guests have seen the movies/read the books makes it less enjoyable for someone who is not familiar with the lore, I don't think you'll find anyone on here who disagrees. But the brand itself is a very powerful brand that is not going away in our lifetime.

I haven't seen any of the latest Star Wars movies and it has been probably 20 years since I've seen the original trilogy. I have not read the Harry Potter books and I have only seen one of the movies. Doesn't mean they are not iconic franchises that will forever be part of pop culture history.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby rolercstrluvr » Sun May 13, 2018 8:09 am

^ This is full of yes. :nina:

HP isn't gonna go anywhere anytime soon.

On Jurrassic World though, I'm just going to assume it'll be updated animatronics, Special Effects, and replacing one T-rex with the new beast in the movie.
Gold Striker Ride count: 435

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby edgeboy » Sun May 13, 2018 8:20 am

I can't understand people who say HP may not have staying power, either. When I first visited HP in Orlando (before USH had theirs), I had neither read the books nor seen the movies. I had no idea what I was looking at. But I was still able to totaly enjoy myself. Great theming is great theming.

I've since now seen all the movies, but still haven't read the books. They're on my to do list one day, really. But that series has tapped into the same "hero's quest" storyline that Star Wars has. It's a Universal story, no pun intended.

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby AdventuresinAirtime » Sun May 13, 2018 11:22 am

I am a bit concerned that they'll remove animatronics and replace with 3D screens :(
Adventures in Airtime Theme Park Podcast:
www.adventuresinairtime.com

Adventures in Airtime on YouTube:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby litoson80 » Mon May 14, 2018 3:03 pm

I literally LOL! :b

COASTER FREAK 11 wrote:I have it on good authority, that all the dinos are being replaced by screens, and they are adding water sprays through the ride. As well, they will add 3D glasses and a
virtual queue, with additional screens. Plus, a new Kong screen, for synergy. Since the Kong attraction(s) feature Dinosaurs.

EDIT: To be clear, this is a joke... :lmao:

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed May 16, 2018 1:50 pm

Universal has sent us a press release announcing that Trick ‘r Treat will be coming to Halloween Horror Bights at Universal Studios Florida and Universal Studios Hollywood!

Beginning September 14, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood will bring Legendary Pictures’ cult Halloween classic Trick ‘r Treat to life in all-new Halloween Horror Nights mazes that dare guests to live by the rules or suffer the consequences.

Based on the critically-acclaimed and fan-favorite movie, directed by Michael Dougherty, the “Trick ‘r Treat” maze will transport guests to Warren Valley, Ohio on Halloween night to celebrate the holiday’s dark traditions. Recreating some of the anthology’s most iconic scenes, the disturbing new maze invites brave thrill-seekers to become entwined within the secrets of this sleepy suburban town.

Guests will experience some of the film’s most grisly scenes and encounter hauntingly familiar characters. They will meander through Mr. Kreeg’s infamous house, watch as college students viciously transform into bloodthirsty werewolves and dismember the town, as well as come face-to-face with Sam – the spirit of Halloween – who readies to punish those who break the holiday’s tradition.

Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited “Halloween Horror Nights” in Hollywood and Orlando to become victims inside their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror television shows, films and original stories come to life season after season. And, the streets of each coast’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing scare-actors lunge from every darkened corner.

Additional details about Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” will be revealed soon. Select tickets and vacation packages for Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights are on sale now. For more information about “Halloween Horror Nights” at either Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.
545B2D97-DAEE-44E0-81D8-A90509E9AD26.jpeg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:31 am

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release about new experiences and offerings coming to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter!

From the moment guests enter The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™” at Universal Studios Hollywood, they are transported to Hogsmeade village, which this summer will introduce new wand magic experiences, authentic costume replicas, lunchtime menu items and the popular return of “The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle.”

• With a gentle flick of the wrist and just the right touch, guests can cast spells throughout “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” at dazzling wand magic locations. This summer’s installation of two additional spells ups the tally to 15 thrilling wand magic experiences to practice. The Incendio fire-making spell will conjure flames of varying size based on skill level, and the Alohomora spell will unlock a series of intricate locks that may reveal the fiery breath of a creature hidden behind a secret door.
  • Three Broomsticks expands its lunchtime menu with a selection of traditional British fare, including:
    • Ploughman’s Lunch, featuring an imported selection of ham, salami, country paté, English cheese, homemade pickles and a warm scotch egg served with bread, cranberry chutney and grain mustard
    • Cheese Toastie with Chicken, featuring grilled English Cheddar cheese with chicken, crispy bacon, mustard and sliced tomato topped with a sunny side egg served with a fresh salad or potato wedges
    • Sunday Roast Sandwich served on a freshly baked baguette filled with warm prime rib, caramelized onions, English Cheddar, horseradish sauce and homemade garlic pickles served with fresh salad or potato wedges
  • Guests can channel their inner wizards at Gladrags Wizardwear with a wide array of apparel inspired by the films. The billowing house robes worn by the students of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and accompanying house uniforms, including hand-loomed cardigans from Scotland, scarves and ties are available for purchase. New to Gladrags Wizardwear this season is a high-end replica of Professor Severus Snape’s robe, as well as a replica of Hermonione’s dress worn at the Yule Ball as seen in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which is now available in adult and children’s sizes. Other wizard attire includes a replica of the cardigan worn by Neville Longbottom in the Battle of Hogwarts scene in the film series finale. Select attire is available in a variety of sizes from toddler to adult.
  • Just like the talking mirror in the Harry Potter films, Madam Malkin's Talking Mirror makes quite a reflective entrance this summer, located in the corridor between Dervish and Banges™ and Gladrags Wizardwear. Speaking with an English accent, the Talking Mirror will entertain guests with a variety of complimentary remarks.
  • “The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle” returns for a limited time only, beginning Saturday, June 23.

As night falls on Hogsmeade village, “The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle” shines brightly with an awe-inspiring spectacle that showcases the four houses of Hogwarts: Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin, and culminates with awesome beams of lights that fan into the night sky. The colorful state-of-the-art light display and special effects projection is accompanied by a special musical arrangement created by Academy® award-winning composer John Williams based on his original scores composed for the film series. The musical arrangement that emanates in a surround sound environment was conducted by prolific arranger William Ross and recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra in London.

• Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters that were brought to life in the Warner Bros. films, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” at Universal Studios Hollywood is a masterful recreation, faithful to the visual landscape of the fiction and films, including as its iconic focal point, Hogwarts castle.
  • From its snow-capped roofs and cobblestone streets to the historic British sensibilities that characterize the whimsical look and feel of the land, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” transports guests of all ages to the very places they watched on the silver screen.
  • The architecturally stunning land also includes the captivating and highly acclaimed “Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey” thrill ride, enhanced with 4K-HD and ride film projecting at an astounding rate of 120 frames-per-second for an even more immersive glimpse into Harry Potter’s world, as well as “Flight of the Hippogriff™,” Universal Studios Hollywood’s first outdoor family coaster.

“The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” resonates with immense detail, inviting guests to enjoy authentic food and beverages at multiple locations, including Three Broomsticks and Hog's Head pub, as well as the Magic Neep and Butterbeer carts. A foray through the shops adds to the authenticity of the land with such retail venues as Honeydukes™, Ollivanders™, Owl Post™, Zonko’s™ Joke Shop, Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment, Dervish and Banges™, Gladrags Wizardwear, Filch’s Emporium™ of Confiscated Goods and the Hogsmeade™ Station.

Additional information on Universal Studios Hollywood is available at http://www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com. Join the conversation online using #WizardingWorldHollywood. Like Universal Studios Hollywood on Facebook and follow @UniStudios on Instagram and Twitter.
The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle_WWoHP at USH 2018.jpg
The NighttimeLights at Hogwarts Castle (Hufflepuff) - WWoHP at USH.JPG
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Shut It Down » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm

Out of curiosity has anyone experienced the new DreamWorks theater attraction? From what I was reading it sounded pretty cool.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby alexa0ne » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:12 pm

This is the reason why I love Universal Studios than Disneyland. They always have something new to offer, and I just simply love the attraction. I really love The Mummy and Transformer ride.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!