Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 257: SAW: The Games of Jigsaw HHN house revealed!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'd like to buy a vowel!

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby KBrylczyk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:24 am

cfc wrote:I've never been to the Hollywood version of Horror Nights, but I'm intrigued by the horror "tram takeovers."

It's a great concept but the execution always left a lot to be desired, imho. There's simply way too much dead space, no pun intended. You'll go through a scene then walk along an unthemed pathway for 500 yards, then walk through another scene, then another unthemed path, rinse, repeat, until you end up back in the park.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby indyjones » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:12 pm

Ditch Universal and head over to Knott's. We vastly prefer it to Universal. The crowds at Uni are ridiculous, as is the price. The mazes are just as good at Knott's and even better with some of the more personalized stuff they are doing now. You don't feel like a giant conga-line of people going through a maze at Knott's and I've never waited more than maybe an hour(usually half that) for a maze at Knott's where I've waited 3 hours at Universal. Blech!

Open Up Happiness

Postby jedimaster1227 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:51 am

Universal Studios has sent us a press release about the return of the SAW franchise to Halloween Horror Nights!

The SAW series – one of the highest grossing horror film franchises of all time – makes its return to “Halloween Horror Nights,” bringing the blockbuster’s most terrifying traps to life in an all-new original maze opening at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort, beginning September 15, 2017.

Based on the Lionsgate and Twisted Pictures hit horror film franchise, “SAW: The Games of Jigsaw” will bring to life the scariest game yet. In this all-new maze guests will come face-to-face with the work of master craftsman “Jigsaw” and a collection of his most infamous traps from the SAW film series and upcoming eighth installment JIGSAW.

“We’re thrilled to be partnering again with Universal Studios on an immersive experience that celebrates everything that our SAW fans love,” said Lionsgate Senior Vice President of Global Live and Location Based Entertainment Jenefer Brown. “The maze features the most terrifying traps that made the SAW franchise such a Halloween tradition, including some of the best from our upcoming film JIGSAW. What better way to complement the film’s release this Halloween than taking audiences into the over-the-top action at Halloween Horror Nights.”

“SAW is one of the top grossing horror film franchises, and we’re thrilled that the fan-favorite is making its return to ‘Halloween Horror Nights,’” said John Murdy, Creative Director at Universal Studios Hollywood and Executive Producer of “Halloween Horror Nights.” “‘SAW: The Games of Jigsaw’ will encompass the greatest collection of traps featured in all eight SAW movies to bring to life the most twisted SAW maze ever produced, and we can’t wait for our fans to relive moments from the films.”

“We’re excited to bring SAW back to Halloween Horror Nights and to take fans even deeper into the mind of ‘Jigsaw,’” said Charles Gray, Show Director for Creative Development, “Halloween Horror Nights” at Universal Orlando Resort. “Filled with unimaginable horrors from the hit saga and the upcoming film JIGSAW, this maze is truly a trap in itself.”

Created by James Wan and Leigh Whannell, the SAW film series has ratcheted up tension and invention with each successive film, while rattling millions of nerves worldwide. The eighth film of the powerhouse franchise is scheduled to hit theatres on October 27, 2017 - in its traditional opening weekend slot leading into Halloween. JIGSAW is written by Josh Stolberg & Peter Goldfinger and directed by The Spierig Brothers

Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 20 years, guests from around the world have visited Halloween Horror Nights in Hollywood and Orlando to become victims inside their own horror film. The streets of each coast’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones where menacing “scare-actors” lunge from every darkened corner. Multiple movie-quality haunted houses are erected throughout the event, based on everything from iconic slasher films to hit horror television series to haunting original stories.

Additional details about Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” will be revealed soon. For more information about Halloween Horror Nights at either Universal Studios Hollywood or Universal Orlando Resort, visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.
SAW Returning to Universal Orlando's Halloween Horror Nights 2017.jpg
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:07 pm

KBrylczyk wrote:
cfc wrote:I've never been to the Hollywood version of Horror Nights, but I'm intrigued by the horror "tram takeovers."

It's a great concept but the execution always left a lot to be desired, imho. There's simply way too much dead space, no pun intended. You'll go through a scene then walk along an unthemed pathway for 500 yards, then walk through another scene, then another unthemed path, rinse, repeat, until you end up back in the park.

If you've never done it before, I think you'll enjoy it. But it really doesn't have repeat value after that first time through the grinchmas area, bates motel, Psycho House, and War of the Worlds. Would be very cool to see them switch the route up one year.

Another cool thing is they build 3 mazes on the metro backlot sets, so you get to see some of those up closer than you normally would to. But only one small section is themed as a scarezone

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby edgeboy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:08 pm

Jew wrote:
KBrylczyk wrote:
If you've never done it before, I think you'll enjoy it. But it really doesn't have repeat value after that first time through the grinchmas area, bates motel, Psycho House, and War of the Worlds. Would be very cool to see them switch the route up one year.

Another cool thing is they build 3 mazes on the metro backlot sets, so you get to see some of those up closer than you normally would to. But only one small section is themed as a scarezone

While I have no proof, I suspect the paths on the Terror Tram are fairly limited due to constraints on the studio use and noise requirements from nearby houses. Since it's basically all outdoors, I'm pretty sure the sound carries, and residential area are pretty strict about noise. Isn't it one of the reasons Terror Tram closes so much earlier?

And this year, they have mentioned the scare zone at the metro lot will be extended more, so expect it to be longer this time.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby bluemeane » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:05 pm

Jew wrote:
bluemeane wrote:We are visiting the park in September of this year (Along with Disneyland, and Knotts Berry Farm) for my 40th Birthday party!!!

It will be my first time at the park ever!!!!

However I am worried that the tram will not be running(?) during this time because of the HHN event. Is this true? I would be really bummed if it wasn't running.

We are visiting on Thursday the 28th of September.

The tram will be running.

This is great news!!!!

After some research I did find that it will be running, thank you for your confirmation!!!

However it is unclear as if it will be an 'altered' version of the normal tram, as they use some of the tram show building for the haunted tram? Can anyone confirm this? It looks like maybe the building/show are the end with the fast and furious, and perhaps the city street sets are closed off, and or skipped?

Either way, I am super excited to be finally getting to visit a Universal Theme park!!!!!

Also on an unrelated note we decided to go for sure on a Thursday day, Hoping for an nearly (or as close as you can get lol) empty park, and are doing the Knott's Berry/Scary farm park, and even on Friday night with the Early entry/Boo-fet event that same night! Should be awesome! (Hoping lol)

How do crowds seem on a Thursday in late September?

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby laqueefa » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:01 am

HHN tickets for the 22nd of Sept. acquired! I asked a friend of mine who works there to rank the mazes from best to "meh", without spoilers (last night was their employee preview). Here's his list:

1. Saw
2. The Shining
3. Insidious
4. Ash vs. Evil Dead
5. Blumhouse
6. Titans of Terror
7. American Horror Story

I am super excited for The Shining, and find it interesting their Insidious maze is based on the yet to be released film.
Tigga, please!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby edgeboy » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:10 pm

bluemeane wrote:
However it is unclear as if it will be an 'altered' version of the normal tram, as they use some of the tram show building for the haunted tram? Can anyone confirm this? It looks like maybe the building/show are the end with the fast and furious, and perhaps the city street sets are closed off, and or skipped?

Either way, I am super excited to be finally getting to visit a Universal Theme park!!!!!

Also on an unrelated note we decided to go for sure on a Thursday day, Hoping for an nearly (or as close as you can get lol) empty park, and are doing the Knott's Berry/Scary farm park, and even on Friday night with the Early entry/Boo-fet event that same night! Should be awesome! (Hoping lol)

How do crowds seem on a Thursday in late September?

The tram route is constantly being altered, HHN or not, due to the near constant filming that actually happens. That said, the tram show building hasn't been for a maze in years, and you don't really see much of it from the tram anyway. However, it may be fairly likely a good portion of the city sets may be closed off for HHN. But not all of it. Unless it is being used for filming.

Thursday during the day should be pretty dead. Use ushwaittimes.com on your phone for line updates. Keep in mind Simpsons nearly always defaults to 25 minute wait time minimum due to its slow loading. So if it you see it at that time, go for it. It doesn't get shorter. Also take the wait times for Ollivanders and Walking Dead as a guide, and may be off IRL. Those lines can fluctuate faster than the app can keep track. The rest of the times are actually fairly accurate.

One final note, during the day in the off season, Walking Dead sometimes has limited hours. Check with the showtimes guide given as you enter the park.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:45 pm

No show buildings for the tram have ever been used for HHN. The tram garage area was the location for two mazes in its previous life late 90's/early 2000's.

KidTums' personal piano player

Postby wrs28330 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:10 am

Welcome to another season of screams at Universal Studios Hollywood! Theme Park Review attended the opening night of Halloween Horror Nights on both coasts again this year! That's right, live from Hollywood and Orlando! On the West Coast, William and Daniel had the opportunity to visit all 7 mazes, and of course the Terror Tram on the USH backlot. Let's roll this horror film in 3...2...1...

Here's the walk-throughs of three of the mazes at HHN Hollywood:

001.jpg
It's time to hear the chorus of screaming once again!
002.jpeg
William and Daniel brining you coverage on the red carpet before the frights begin!
003.jpg
Jennifer Tilly, aka the Bride of Chucky dropped by.
004.jpg
And with that, we head right to our first maze of the night The Shining.
005.jpg
Throughout the night, we were hearing the most buzz about this maze, and we agreed!
006.jpg
007.jpg
The Hell-O-Ween scare zone leads you from the Lower Lot to the Metro Sets, where three mazes await your arrival.
008.jpg
"Please help me!"
009.jpg
010.jpg
011.jpg
Ash vs. Evil Dead
012.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg
"Do you like my chainsaw hand?"
015.jpg
We love scares when they aren't at eye-level! Scares from above or below are super effective!
016.jpg
Get 'em Ash!
017.jpg
SAW: The Games of Jigsaw
018.jpg
That is one screwed up doll thing!
019.jpg
020.jpg
Let's play a game!
021.jpg
022.jpg
023.jpg
As a big fan of the American Horror Story TV series, USH had a great season to work with. My Roanoke Nightmare, was a fast-paced season set in the backwoods of mid-America, with lot of murder and pig heads!
024.jpg
This little piggy was a' roastin'...
025.jpg
This little piggy was just tails...
026.jpg
This little piggy popped out to say "hi"...
027.jpg
...and this little piggy was blue!
028.jpg
The Butcher going what she does best!
029.jpg
Yummy!
030.jpg
031.jpg
The Horrors of Blumhouse, was a really fun and energetic maze which features stories from three Blumhouse Production films: The Purge, Sinister, and the soon-to-be released Happy Death Day. We are only going to show you photos of the first third of the maze, so the rest of it can be a surprise. We loved it!
032.jpg
What's up Abe?!
033.jpg
Who wore it better: This Purge participant or Mt. Rushmore?
034.jpg
With liberty and justice for none!
035.jpg
Next is the Terror Tram! If you just purchase general admission tickets for the event, we recommend you heading to Terror Tram first, because it closes sooner than the rest of the mazes.
036.jpg
This year, the Terror Tram features the titans of terror, and is hosted by Chucky.
037.jpg
We always love walking through the Bates Motel set...
038.jpg
...and seeing it come to life!
039.jpg
Well that's one way to skin a...human.
040.jpg
Woah, woah, woah! Wait a freakin' minute! Is that supposed to be Catawampus in the War of the Worlds plane?!!?!? Respond in the comments below with your thoughts on this conspiracy theory!
041.jpg
She's only half the lady she used to be...
042.jpg
Last up was Insidious. This was a tough one to photograph due to dark lighting, but it made for awesome scares!
043.jpg
044.jpg
045.jpg
And that's a wrap on the first night of Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood! If you are planning to attend between now and November 4th, we highly recommend splurging the extra $100 - $120 for the Front of the Line pass. It is almost impossible to see all 7 mazes with general admission because the maze lines can reach 180 minutes on some nights. With the Front of the Line pass, you will be able to hit all the mazes for sure! We want to give a big "thank you" to the USH PR team for inviting us to opening night, and we wish you a great season!
Last edited by robbalvey on Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:26 am.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!