Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 255: Jimmy Buffett to perform live at Margaritaville!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:42 pm

Thank you! I'm planning a trip to USH after WCB, and I was planning to eat somewhere in Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Looks like the Three Broomsticks it is!
Top Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Voyage 3. The Beast 4. Ghostrider 5. Shivering Timbers
Top Steel: 1. Millennium Force 2. Magnum XL-200 3. Diamondback 4. Maverick 5. Wildfire
Top Parks: 1. Disneyland 2. Silver Dollar City 3. Holiday World 4. Knott's Berry Farm 5. Cedar Point

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby laqueefa » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:34 pm

Purchased my tickets for HHN for Sept. 23rd!
Tigga, please!

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby hauntguy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:56 pm

jray21 wrote:Ok, USH experts, what is the recommended order of attach for USH? Potter first, or still the tram first?

The tram itself is 45 minutes (excluding wait), so it takes a big chunk of your time. If you do it early in the morning, the park will fill up as you ride, and you will exit the tram to big lines everywhere. In my opinion, later in the day is better. Just make sure you pay attention to when the last tram departs, because the last call for trams is long before the park closes. Whatever you do, make sure you do NOT take the front or back cars of the tram. Closer toward the middle car the better. Far right side of tram has best view of Jaws and Fast/Furious. Far left side has best view of Flash Flood and picture cars. I'd choose far right side if possible. You do not need to stay where they stick you. You can ask for the middle tram or you can simply walk to that area and stay there. Watch how people load and you will understand. The reason you want to avoid front/back cars is that in the giant theaters (Kong and Fast/Furious) the screen is really distorted for those cars. Front car misses most effects in Earthquake. Every single tram tour is different. They change on the fly based on what is going on in backlot. You may see different videos, take different routes, and even skip some attractions.

All of USH major attractions have single rider lines (Forbidden Journey, Jurassic park, Transformers, Mummy). Those lines can be significantly shorter than standby and sometimes even shorter than VIP... Forbidden Journey eats single rider lines quickly. That also means all of the attractions in the lower lot have single rider options. So assuming you are willing to take advantage of single rider lines, do the lower lot (JP, Mummy, Transformers) whenever you feel like it. Plan for the lower lot to take up to 2 hours.

The wait for Walking Dead will fluctuate during the day, but is very often 5-10 minutes. It is a people eater. The attraction is also ridiculously short. Go as slow as you can to take it in.

USH wait times include the mandatory pre-show. Attractions with pre-shows are: Shrek, Simpsons, Despicable me (two pre-shows). So they will always have a built in wait time.

USH Olivanders has two show rooms. Even so, the line can move pretty slow. Make sure you hit this early.

Three Broomsticks has THE best food in the park. Period. Hard to go wrong with any dish. I have tried Bangers & Mash, Fish & chips, Roasted Chicken - all are excellent. Portions are very large. For what you get, they are not charging nearly as much as they could. Food line for this is long between 11:30-2:00. If there is a line out the door, don't bother. Queue in the door can be 0 min to 15 min.

Trip planning greatly depends on what shows you want to hit (Waterworld, Special Effects, Animal show) and how important older rides that have duplicates in Orlando are to you (Shrek, Simpsons, JP). USH Mummy is shorter than USO, and by all accounts not as good as Orlando's.

USH Potterland is smaller than USO Hogwarts. If you've been to USO, there is really nothing new to see in this variant. The Hipofgriff is a bit better in USH, and Forbidden Journey is 3D. I've been on both and I don't think 3D really adds anything.

Must-see if you have been to USO but not USH:
Backlot Tram Tour - NOTE: closes up to 90 minutes before park closes
Walking Dead - NOTE: always closes long before park closes!
Waterworld - based on very old movie, but easily best stunt show at any US theme park. Endangered - may close to become site of Diagon Alley

USH exactly identical to Orlando:
Despicable Me - SOMETIMES they direct you into Gate A line if you are single rider
Transformers (has Single Rider line) - ALWAYS use this
Shrek
Simpsons - SOMETIMES they direct you into Gate A line if you are single rider

Substantially identical to Orlando:
Mummy (has Single Rider line)
Potterland
Hippogriff - SOMETIMES they direct you into Gate A line if you are single rider
Forbidden Journey (has Single Rider line)
Jurassic Park (has Single Rider line)

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:11 pm

That's great information. I'll be there tomorrow and will definitely use this!
Top Wood: 1. Outlaw Run 2. Voyage 3. The Beast 4. Ghostrider 5. Shivering Timbers
Top Steel: 1. Millennium Force 2. Magnum XL-200 3. Diamondback 4. Maverick 5. Wildfire
Top Parks: 1. Disneyland 2. Silver Dollar City 3. Holiday World 4. Knott's Berry Farm 5. Cedar Point

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby hauntguy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:16 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:That's great information. I'll be there tomorrow and will definitely use this!

If you will be there tomorrow, you should not experience much of a crowd at all. Will pretty much be a ghost town till maybe 2:00. Park closes at 6, though, so be aware of when TWD and tram closes.

The tram has a new "Night time" version. They are a bit different but not substantially. If you are a park geek, might want to do both. On days when they close the park before night, they usually have last hour of tram be the night time version. So tomorrow they might have last tram depart at 5:45 and the night time tram be 4:45 onward. Check the schedules and ask.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:01 pm

The night time studio tour is not available right now.

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby WolfBobs » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:07 pm

hauntguy wrote:
jray21 wrote:Ok, USH experts, what is the recommended order of attach for USH? Potter first, or still the tram first?

The tram itself is 45 minutes (excluding wait)...

...Substantially identical to Orlando:
Mummy (has Single Rider line)
Potterland
Hippogriff - SOMETIMES they direct you into Gate A line if you are single rider
Forbidden Journey (has Single Rider line)
Jurassic Park (has Single Rider line)

Sorry didn't feel the need to quote ALL of that! But, I will be making my first trip to USH for HHN with a after 2pm combo ticket. Do most of these same tips apply? I will be there on a Thursday evening.

Thanks!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:18 pm

Cool. I'm wanting to spend some time in Harry Potter, so I probably won't be doing both. Is there a way to know which is better, or just go with what time works best?

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby edgeboy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:00 pm

I would argue that USH and USO Mummy attractions are not really that similar. In fact, they are quite different. It's pretty much universally thought that USO's Mummy is much, much better.

That said, ours, while inferior, does have some perks, and is substantially different enough that I'd ride it even if I have done USO's. Just way, way lower your expectations.

I also find Single Rider is pretty infrequent on Simpsons and Despicable Me (quite rare, in my experience... they only tend to do it if the lines are very long), but the Single Rider on Hippogriff is nearly always available. Just ask at Gate A, I've never had them turn me away.

I do agree that Three Broomsticks is the best food in the park, but the food at Krusty is also quite good for a burger.

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby CaptainCrush » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:36 pm

edgeboy wrote:
I do agree that Three Broomsticks is the best food in the park, but the food at Krusty is also quite good for a burger.

Krusty Burger is the best of any Universal food I've had. Frankly, with the exception of Butterbeer, I found Harry Potter food to be quite bland.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!