Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

P. 260: Harry Potter Christmas & Grinchas begin 11/24/17
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

Postby TrashcanMan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:04 pm

How realistic is it to visit next Wednesday at open and have the park done by 4pm? Single rider, in case they have single rider lines. Not one to lolly-gag, but I will want to do at least the studio tour in addition to rides.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby edgeboy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:42 pm

It's the off season, should be very doable. There's nearly always single rider on Transformers, Mummy, and Forbidden Journey. Occasionally on Jurassic if it's busy, but on a day like that, it may be closed, but the regular line would be short anyway. And you'll want to use that FJ SR a lot. It's worth it.

Oh, there's also often SR on Flight of the Hippogriff, just ask at the front. Sometimes they say no, but usually if they do, it's because the lines are already very short.

Do keep in mind if you were interested in The Walking Dead attraction, it sometimes closes earlier than the rest of the park. See the showtimes handout they give you as you enter.

Postby TrashcanMan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:24 pm

edgeboy wrote:It's the off season, should be very doable. There's nearly always single rider on Transformers, Mummy, and Forbidden Journey. Occasionally on Jurassic if it's busy, but on a day like that, it may be closed, but the regular line would be short anyway. And you'll want to use that FJ SR a lot. It's worth it.

Oh, there's also often SR on Flight of the Hippogriff, just ask at the front. Sometimes they say no, but usually if they do, it's because the lines are already very short.

Do keep in mind if you were interested in The Walking Dead attraction, it sometimes closes earlier than the rest of the park. See the showtimes handout they give you as you enter.

Awesome - that sounds great. My only reservation is the cost - man this park is not cheap!!! Doesn't seem like much is offered in the way of discounts

Postby edgeboy » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:20 am

Other than annual passes, no, not much in the way of discounts.

I sometimes forget as a local, the tram tour is a must for a first time visitor. It's about 45-60 minutes long, but is a very unique attraction that passes a ton of genuine movie sets that you'll recognize. While the line can get long, it often moves fast, and there are plenty of video monitors to watch while waiting.

Postby TrashcanMan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:44 pm

edgeboy wrote:Other than annual passes, no, not much in the way of discounts.

I sometimes forget as a local, the tram tour is a must for a first time visitor. It's about 45-60 minutes long, but is a very unique attraction that passes a ton of genuine movie sets that you'll recognize. While the line can get long, it often moves fast, and there are plenty of video monitors to watch while waiting.

Is the tour something I should hit the first showing of?

Postby edgeboy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:37 pm

It can be, but I'd prioritize Forbidden Journey first. The entire Harry Potter area can get slammed very early on, and it tends to remain that way until evening. It does empty out quite a bit in the last few hours before park closing, so that's a great time to go.

Studio tour can get long, but the line moves very briskly. Keep an eye out on the wait times on either their app or the mobile site, ushwaittimes.com. It's a pretty accurate overall, and also shows performances times, even of many characters.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:10 pm

TrashcanMan wrote:
edgeboy wrote:Other than annual passes, no, not much in the way of discounts.

Is the tour something I should hit the first showing of?

If you purchase your ticket from their website, you can enter the park 1hr early to experience Potter.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:25 am

I would recommend going straight to Ollivander's at opening. The shows have a capacity of a dozen or so, very intimate performance. It's very cool, especially if you are a Potter fan. They do one performance right after another all day on that one, so it has a queue like a ride would, and the queue builds quickly. I would then do both the rides in that section. Forbidden Journey has a single rider line, and each car holds 4, so you'll get through fairly quickly as there are bound to be plenty of groups of 3.

Even if you're not planning to see shows, at the very least you need to see WaterWorld. It is one of the best theme park shows anywhere, and it may not be around too much longer. Check the schedule, but the first show should be around 10:00 or so. I did Potter and Simpsons and had plenty of time to get to Waterworld.

Enjoy--it's a very cool place!
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby edgeboy » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:30 pm

Good point with Ollivanders. The line does fluctuate a lot during the day, so keep checking back, but in general is can get quite long for the majority of the day. First thing in the morning can be good, as well as late at night, but that's not a guarantee. At the same time, I've seen the line be totally empty and people just walk right in, so keep checking in.

Sadly, though Waterworld is currently under refurbishment for the next few months, so you'll probably be missing out on that.

One last insider tip... the minimum line for Simpsons is 25 minutes. So if it's in that range, that's actually about as short as it gets, and go for it.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:39 pm

edgeboy wrote:Sadly, though Waterworld is currently under refurbishment for the next few months, so you'll probably be missing out on that

That's disappointing. Hopefully that means it's staying around for a while. Recent refurbishment is no guarantee that it will, though.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!