TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Studios Hollywood (USH) Discussion Thread

You are welcome! No, there is not change to the Mummy for Halloween. If you there and it is totally slammed on fri or sat night, they do sell an upcharge line skip pass in the park by the central courtyard. Have no idea how much it is though.

You are welcome! No, there is not change to the Mummy for Halloween. If you there and it is totally slammed on fri or sat night, they do sell an upcharge line skip pass in the park by the central courtyard. Have no idea how much it is though.

That will also sell out if you wait too long, leaving your only option as an express pass that is only valid from 11pm-close.

Pricing varies each night.

It is the clown dude. Of the mazes, it is the least essential of the group. I think the volume of people walking through it throws off the scare factor quite a bit. I didn't see any outstanding changes. It is probably only worth it for the photo op at the Psycho house, but that line was quite long thurs night so skipped it.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know where else to ask this so i'm gonna ask it here. . .

Has anyone done the Warner Brothers "Horror Made Here" event? I'm planning ahead for next year and depends if its good or not would be the catalyst of how I do the west coaster haunts.

I did the Warner Brother's Horror Made Here event on 10/21. For those that don't know, the WB back lot is very, very close to Universal Studios. This the second year of operation, and it shows a bit. On the positive side, they do small groups of people into the "mazes" at one time. But it can lead to some longer than you would think wait times. The actors were all very good. The set designs for the most part were very good.

I did see two visual tricks that I have never seen before in a haunt, so I was pretty impressed with that. The event is on the smaller side though, and I would not do it on a Sat or Fri night. There are basically 4 mazes (It, Conjuring, Arkham Asylum, Crystal Lake) , 1 theatrical show in a church (Exorcist), a small theatrical stage, make up demo presentation, and a carnival drop ride.

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release announcing the park's first ever kid-friendly Halloween offerings taking place this weekend!

Universal Studios Hollywood hosts its first-ever kid-friendly Halloween celebration, inviting all children 12 years of age and under to don creative costumes to Trick-or-Treat at the theme park along with some of their favorite characters on Saturday, October 27 and Sunday, October 28 from 10am to 4pm.

Halloween-themed characters located throughout the theme park include Hello Kitty as The Bride of Frankenstein, Illumination’s Minion Monsters, SpongeBob SquarePants and Patrick Star, Scooby Doo and the gang, Curious George, Woody Woodpecker, Dracula, Frankenstein and The Mummy.

Other entertaining activities include a Halloween Party in the Plaza with a live DJ, music, games and costume showcase. Also, Halloween treat decorating will be available for purchase. All children 12 years of age and under will receive a free carnival game voucher redeemable at Super Silly Fun Land, located adjacent to the “Despicable Minion Mayhem” ride or Krustyland’s Carnival Games, located adjacent to “The Simpsons™ Ride.”

The Halloween celebration is included in the price of theme park admission to Universal Studios Hollywood. A specially-designed activity map will be provided complementary to help navigate the many memorably-ghoulish moments.

The at-a-glance schedule of events features:

• 10am – 4pm Trick-or-Treat and Character meet and greets at select theme park locations
  • 11am – 2pm Halloween Party in the Plaza
  • 1 – 2pm Costume Showcase at Universal Plaza

1335063209_HalloweenCelebrationatUSH2018(nologo).thumb.jpg.89b59b814d9981426fd41ff330f3b34a.jpg

The park has also sent us a press release announcing that all day guests will be able to take advantage of a "lights on" walk through experience of the Stranger Things maze from Halloween Horror Nights.

For the first time, Universal Studios Hollywood offers guests a “lights on” walk-through experience of the all-new “Stranger Things” maze during the day, providing an authentic, behind-the-scenes look at how the Upside Down comes to life at “Halloween Horror Nights” from Monday, October 29 through Friday, November 2. The self-guided tour of the movie-quality sets featured in the “Stranger Things” maze is included in the price of daytime admission to the theme park.

“Halloween Horror Nights” continues select nights now through Sunday, November 4, adding one more terrifying night due to popular demand.

Working collaboratively with Netflix, along with the creators and executive producer of the blockbuster series—Matt Duffer, Ross Duffer and Shawn Levy, the maze is an authentic representation of “Stranger Things,” designed to transport guests into artfully recreated scenes and storylines in season one. From the menacing Hawkins National Laboratory, under the U.S. Department of Energy, to the Byers home adorned with an erratic display of flashing Christmas lights and the eerie Upside Down woods oozing a shower of floating orb-like spores, guests will discover how the chilling new maze offers surprising twists and unexpected turns around every corner – in the light of day.

Each night at “Halloween Horror Nights,” the parallel universe, referred to as the Upside Down, that terrorized the small town of Hawkins, Indiana in “Stranger Things,” brings the chittering, predatory Demogorgon to stalk unwitting guests as they encounter iconic scenes, characters and environments from the mesmerizing season one of the critically-acclaimed series.

Universal Studios’ “Halloween Horror Nights” is the ultimate Halloween event. For more than 25 years, guests from around the world have visited “Halloween Horror Nights” to become victims inside their own horror film. Multiple movie-quality mazes based on iconic horror television shows, films and original stories come to life season after season, while the streets of each park’s event are transformed into highly-themed scare zones with menacing scare-actors lunging from every darkened corner.

For the first time ever, Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Singapore are partnering with Netflix to bring “Stranger Things” to life at this year’s “Halloween Horror Nights” events. For more information and to purchase tickets for “Halloween Horror Nights,” visit http://www.HalloweenHorrorNights.com.

1118429581_StrangerThingsLightsonTouratUSH2018(nologo).jpg.thumb.jpg.86a3ba5c6f8213f8592e0e9f1f985258.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone seen the most recent pictures for the Jurassic World update? It appears the entire section after the initial lift hill and into the first lagoon scene will be entirely enclosed!! Very exciting but at the same time kind of upsetting. I was expecting an update with some new scenes added but it appears this will be an ENTIRELY different ride once it reopens.

• 2 weeks later...

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release announcing details for this year's EVE event, celebrating New Year's Eve at the park!

Universal Studios Hollywood rings in 2019 with EVE, Hollywood’s biggest and most exciting New Year’s celebration, including an all-new Ultimate EVE package, on Monday, December 31, with extended theme park hours to 2:00 a.m.

EVE is included in the price of theme park admission and invites guests to spend the day and night enjoying its many popular rides and attractions with a special park-wide party starting at 9:00 p.m., featuring multiple DJs and live music entertainment hubs, that will culminate simultaneously at midnight with a traditional New Year countdown and a spectacular fireworks display.

The all-new Ultimate EVE package is a featured addition to this year’s event, inviting guests to celebrate in style. Package highlights include theme park admission starting at 6:00 p.m., access to private lounges, buffet dining, private cash bars, reserved VIP viewing areas for the dazzling fireworks display, a complimentary, midnight champagne toast, commemorative 2019 party favors and unlimited Universal Express access to all rides and attractions.

Starting at 9:00 p.m., Universal Plaza, Simpsons Plaza located in Springfield™ and an area near “Revenge of the Mummy – The Ride” will transform into three uniquely-themed party hubs, featuring a variety of music, from rock ‘n’ roll to electronic dance music to Latin pop, and the celebration will continue with enhanced DJ shows and after-party entertainment until 2:00 a.m.

A selection of food and beverages, including specialty desserts, champagne, beer, wine and specialty cocktails, as well as 2019 memorabilia will be available for purchase.

To purchase tickets for EVE or the Ultimate EVE package, click here.

With its festive environment, guests can toast the New Year with the spirit of the holidays already resonating throughout Universal Studios Hollywood.

The highly-anticipated return of “Christmas in The Wizarding World of Harry PotterTM brings glistening snowfall for the first time ever to Hogsmeade village along with “The Magic of Christmas at HogwartsTM Castle,” a breathtaking digital light projection experience, which continues through January 6, 2019.

More information, including special EVE Preferred Hotel Packages, is available at http://www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com. Like Universal Studios Hollywood on Facebook and follow @UniStudios on Instagram and Twitter.

Universal Studios Hollywood is The Entertainment Capital of L.A. and includes a full-day, movie-based theme park and Studio Tour. As a leading global entertainment destination, Universal Studios Hollywood delivers highly themed immersive lands that translate to real-life interpretations of iconic movie and television shows. Recent additions include “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter™” which features a bustling Hogsmeade village and such critically-acclaimed rides as “Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey” and “Flight of the Hippogriff™”. Other immersive lands include “Despicable Me Minion Mayhem” and “Super Silly Fun Land” as well as “Springfield,” hometown of America’s favorite TV family, located adjacent to the award-winning “The Simpsons Ride™” and the “The Walking Dead” daytime attraction and the all-new DreamWorks Theatre featuring “Kung Fu Panda: The Emperor’s Quest.” The world-renowned Studio Tour is Universal Studios Hollywood’s signature attraction, inviting guests behind-the-scenes of the world’s biggest and busiest movie and television production studio where they can also experience such authentic thrill rides as “Fast & Furious—Supercharged.” The adjacent Universal CityWalk entertainment, shopping and dining complex also includes the all-new multi-million dollar, redesigned Universal CityWalk Cinema, featuring deluxe recliner seating in screening room quality theatres, and the “5 Towers” state-of-the-art outdoor concert stage.

UniversalNewYears_MD_WEB-07309.thumb.jpg.10bfde99fe725f8526934822176a75b6.jpg

UniversalNewYears_MD_WEB-07551.thumb.jpg.e721288704dd04bae608f2797169244a.jpg

UniversalNewYears_MD_WEB-07694.thumb.jpg.eb08eb2096e545326a6ec630100a8033.jpg

UniversalNewYears_MD_WEB-07779.thumb.jpg.6c077a507670ef5e0915545331c12a00.jpg

UniversalNewYears_MD_WEB-07838.thumb.jpg.295dfbf8bd5d89a69cf5cb2b125fe968.jpg

UniversalNewYears_MD_WEB-07851.thumb.jpg.717f8a32bcace8da48bbe52ce906e6db.jpg

UniversalNewYears_MD_WEB-07865.thumb.jpg.322008b0c956ab95c25a00642d4b77bf.jpg

Very exciting but at the same time kind of upsetting. I was expecting an update with some new scenes added but it appears this will be an ENTIRELY different ride once it reopens.

Help me understand. How could it be upsetting if they only keep the layout and change the entire ride?

Has anyone seen the most recent pictures for the Jurassic World update? It appears the entire section after the initial lift hill and into the first lagoon scene will be entirely enclosed!! Very exciting but at the same time kind of upsetting. I was expecting an update with some new scenes added but it appears this will be an ENTIRELY different ride once it reopens.

Universal's go-to for the past 15 years. Put guests in a box, add screen, splash water, repeat. I called this "upgrade" the day it was announced. Verbatim, "Watch, this Jurassic World project is going to enclose the entire ride with screens and splash you a little more than they already did." Boom, eat me, Universal. If I wanted to watch videos all day I'd sit at home for free and watch YouTube.

• 2 months later...

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release announcing the upcoming projection experience "Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle" at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade.

357724988_DarkArts-WWoHPatUniversalStudios.thumb.jpg.13f9a92ac93b6698e23258a7e0beebf2.jpg

Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort invite guests to experience an exciting new dimension of sorcery at “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” with the introduction of the “Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle,” a powerful, original and breathtaking projection experience.

The “Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle” will illuminate Hogwarts castle and “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” nightly from April 13 – 28 at Universal Studios Hollywood then return from May 25 – 27.

Universal Orlando Resort’s experience will debut later this year with dates to be announced at a later time.

This exciting all-new experience in “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” will cast a mesmerizing display of light, music and special effects, unleashing the darkest creatures and villains, including the powerful Dark wizard Lord Voldemort.

Illuminating a darker side of the Wizarding World, this spectacular new light projection experience will be a departure from previous “The Nighttime Lights at Hogwarts Castle” and “The Magic of Christmas at Hogwarts Castle.” “Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle” will bring more intense tones and drama that reflect the Dark creatures and wizards that challenge goodness in the Wizarding World.

Guests will be asked to summon their inner strength and bravery in the face of the all-consuming Dark Arts as some of the awe-inspiring moments and creatures inspired by the films come to life within the majestic light display.

As darkness falls on Hogwarts castle, Dementors™, Death Eaters and other unspeakable creatures from Aragog and Mountain Trolls to Thestrals will cloak the castle with sinister images from the darker side of magic—even conjuring the visage of Lord Voldemort™ himself, until the Patronus spell—one of the most famous, difficult and powerful defense of the Dark Arts charms in the wizarding world—is cast.

The “Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle” will be accompanied by an exclusive musical arrangement that will emanate in a surround sound environment. It was conducted by prolific arranger William Ross and recorded by the London Symphony Orchestra in London, based on the original scores composed for the film series created by Academy Award®-winning composer John Williams.

Inspired by J.K. Rowling’s compelling stories and characters that were brought to life in the Warner Bros. films, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” at Universal Studios Hollywood and Universal Orlando Resort is a masterful recreation, faithful to the visual landscape of the fiction and films, including as its iconic focal point, Hogwarts castle.

From its snow-capped roofs and cobblestone streets to the historic British sensibilities that characterize the whimsical look and feel of the land, “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter” transports guests of all ages to the very places they watched on the silver screen.

With so much to see and do at Universal Studios Hollywood, the all-new 2019 Season Pass invites guests to experience the fun throughout the year for $149 when purchased online. Blackout dates and restrictions apply. Visit http://www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com for more details.

At Universal Orlando, guests can take advantage of an unprecedented offer featuring up to six months free on any Universal Orlando Annual Pass if purchased before April 4, 2019. Click here for more details about Annual and Seasonal Pass options.

Couple of observations. I hope this version is a tad longer than what has been presented in the past. The other versions have been a very brief show, 5 - 7 minutes. Be nice to see a tripling of the runtime. Also, the dates for Hollywood are very random, and it is a very limited engagement. Skipping all of summer after Memorial Day? A tad peculiar.

FWIW, Universal is billing these dates as preview dates.

Preview the show starting April 13 during the select nights below:

April 13-28

May 25-27

Also, I've heard reports the show will be 8 minutes long. It can't be too much longer, because the viewing area is so small, they have to be able to cycle many shows in a given evening.

I've also heard rumors it may play after summer, into another noted season...

Universal's go-to for the past 15 years. Put guests in a box, add screen, splash water, repeat. I called this "upgrade" the day it was announced. Verbatim, "Watch, this Jurassic World project is going to enclose the entire ride with screens and splash you a little more than they already did." Boom, eat me, Universal. If I wanted to watch videos all day I'd sit at home for free and watch YouTube.

You understand that by enclosing a portion of the ride that also allows them to upkeep higher end AA figures, right? It's just just about screens.

Universal Studios Hollywood has sent us a press release announcing that tickets are now available for the "Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle Premiere Event" taking place on April 11th and April 12th, 2019.

image002.jpg.0ce31a3cafff0eff2c8f364f6f1f1c68.jpg

Universal Studios Hollywood rolls out the red carpet for the “Dark Arts at Hogwarts™ Castle Premiere Event,” a special experience that offers fans a first look at the new light projection show at “The Wizarding World of Harry PotterTM” on Thursday, April 11 and Friday, April 12, 2019.

This premium evening event invites guests to be among the very first to experience “Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle” with exclusive, coveted after-hours access to Hogsmeade™ village, where fans can also explore the shops and experience the land’s signature rides, “Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey™” and “Flight of the Hippogriff™.”

The event’s main attraction is an exclusive first-look at the all-new “Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle” projection display that brings to light an exciting new dimension of sorcery within “The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.” A mesmerizing pageantry of light, music and special effects will unleash the darkest creatures and villains from the Wizarding World, including the powerful Dark wizard Lord Voldemort.

Guests will be challenged to summon their inner strength and bravery in the face of the all-consuming Dark Arts as some of the awe-inspiring moments and creatures inspired by the films come to life within the majestic light display accompanied by an atmospheric musical score created by John Williams.

Additionally, guests will be treated to a premium catered feast of foods, beverages and desserts as part of this exclusive opportunity.

A new wand will also debut in conjunction with the exclusive event, offering fans a chance to purchase this limited edition memorabilia and add to their wand collection.

Event tickets are on sale now, which includes early entry to Universal Studios Hollywood, and are available to purchase here. Advance purchase is recommended as limited tickets are available, and event nights will sell out.

“Dark Arts at Hogwarts Castle” opens to the public on Saturday, April 13 and will continue through Sunday, April 28, 2019 at Universal Studios Hollywood.

More information is available at http://www.UniversalStudiosHollywood.com. Like Universal Studios Hollywood on Facebook and follow @UniStudios on Instagram and Twitter.

• 4 weeks later...

Universal Studios Hollywood just dropped a "Secret Life of Pets" announcement....

secret_life_of_pets-560x827.thumb.jpg.35f22b5bc713a3a54c1b05d823f73d74.jpg

Universal Studios Hollywood Takes Guests on a Whirlwind Journey through New York City in an All-New “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!” Ride Inspired by Illumination’s Worldwide Blockbuster Movie, Opening in 2020

Universal City, CA, April 10, 2019 – Adoption day is the ultimate rite of passage for every animal seeking a home, and it’s now the inspiration for Universal Studios Hollywood’s lively new ride, “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!,” opening in 2020 based on Illumination’s 2016 global blockbuster and upcoming sequel, which answers the question, “What do your pets do when you’re not at home?”

In this all-new fully immersive experience, guests will assume the roles of stray puppies as they join a familiar cast of leading characters from The Secret Life of Pets — Max, Snowball, Gidget, Chloe and Duke, along with a host of other animal friends — on the ultimate quest of finding forever homes.

“We are thrilled to be able to bring another exciting Illumination movie-based ride to our guests,” said Karen Irwin, President and COO, Universal Studios Hollywood. “The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!’ will capture the essence of the popular film and invite our guests to live vicariously through some of their favorite characters as they embark on a one-of-a-kind experience only available at Universal Studios Hollywood.”

The innovative adventure will blend live, dimensional and animated characters with hyper-realistic media as guests zip along a track aboard ride vehicles through bustling New York City streets towards the Pet Adoption event and the ultimate happy ending: forever homes. Along the way, guests will face an array of challenges and meet up with fellow animal pals eager to help guide them toward their destination.

“The Secret Life of Pets: Off the Leash!” will be located adjacent to the popular “Despicable Me Minion Mayhem” and “Super Silly Fun Land” attractions.

Illumination’s The Secret Life of Pets 2, the next chapter in the franchise, arrives in theaters June 7, 2019.

Edited by robbalvey

The innovative adventure will blend live, dimensional and animated characters with hyper-realistic media as guests zip along a track aboard ride vehicles through bustling New York City streets towards the Pet Adoption event and the ultimate happy ending: forever homes.

Hey hey hey, sounds like they're going for animatronics now! The description also makes it sounds like a new coaster, and if that's the case, that's a huge win for the park, really glad to see some new stuff from Universal that isn't a simulator.