TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PKI Opening Day TR

Well..... Can't say this is much of a "trip report" per se, given that the bulk of my 3 1/2 hours at PKI today was spent in either A) the arcade, B) a gift shop and C) The Festhaus eating. I can thank my daughter Samantha for this fact (and yes, there was a lecture about future visits).

That said... for those who care (and I have discovered there are quite a few of you here who don't ) here's what I have to share as far as news and reviews about PKI 2005.

First of all... heads up Gold Pass Holders... the park has made some major changes to the parking lot this year, and the entrance to Gold Pass parking has been changed to where you enter through the "center" of the parking lot, instead of directly off the main "road". It was very confusing and I ended up doing a U-turn and having to go back, so my advice is pay attention to the signage as you go in because I didn't. In addition to this change, they have now made the entire front parking area (closest to the main gate) handicapped parking. They have also completely removed the tram circle fencing at the front gate, which makes me wonder if they are no longer going to run any parking trams at all..... (not that they have run many in recent years...not like they use to in the "old days")

Season pass processing was smooth and we were in and out quickly. The security checks have not changed at all-an article in yesterday's Cincinnati Enquirer made it sound like they had, but that is not the case.

Once we were inside the park, I was on a mission.... to meet "Mrs. C". PKI has also opened a "Happy Days" diner, a revamping of what was previously Tuckers, and they had Marion Ross there today for the opening. There were probably about 50 people in line and they were all like me... moms and dads in there 30's and 40's with kids who had no clue who she was. She is very aware of that, and made a special point of telling all the little ones that she is also the voice of Sponge Bob's grandmother (I didn't know that, either) and that seemed to impress them much more!

The park is really a mess at the moment... lots of refurbishment still going on. Italian Job is completed (and yes, there is a WHITE car on the train) but obviously not running yet and from what I saw (when not inside a gift shop) it looks pretty cool. The Eiffel Tower was closed; being repainted, and the walkway along between the Italian Job and Coney Mall is a mess...it looks like potholes that have been patched.

If the rides in HB/NICK were any indication, there were some opening day kinks with Beastie and Wild Thornberry's breaking down/getting stuck.

One thing very positive thing I did notice was the employees.... I haven't encountered park employees as pleasant, friendly and helpful at PKI as the ones I crossed paths with today. Maybe it was just since today was the first day and the weather was spectacular.... but I would love to see that attitude continue through the season....

Oh... one more thing... I noticed on the park calendar that they are going to be open the entire week before Memorial Day (limited operations) this year... that's something new!

Happy Theme Park Season everybody....

Shari

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh.. and I forgot to add this.... PKI has made some major changes in height restrictions for their larger kiddie rides (ie Beastie, Wild Thornberrys) and some of the flat rides. Many that had previously been 36" have been changed to 40" and the Racer has gone from 44" to 48".

Shari "I was being rushed to finish my trip report before because my husband wanted to go eat" Shoufler

The gold pass parking got me too. Don't feel bad, I too had turn around a drive around the the white poles to find the entrance.

I also noticed that the employees were very kind. Some were pretty clueless, but that kind of comes with opening weekend. At the least the crowds were cooperative. I noticed several of the ride ops doing on the job training for others.

My quick points.

- Wow, Italian Job looks small from the outside

- 2 visable trains on Italian Job

- They were testing sound effects on Saturday

- The train I rode on "The Beast" had to have all of it's restraints manually released (several times)

- The second row on FoF was kind of a beater

- Don't bother looking for Chic-Fil-A. It isn't open

- IJ is still themed to a pile of dirt

- The Beastie is so much fun, but my knees hate it

- Vortex running 3 trains

- Tomb Raider still breaks down a lot

- The guns on Scooby are getting a little tougher to score with

- Face-Off is primed and ready for paint, but still running

// Sorry to add my mini-tr but I didn't have enough to really warrant another