TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Operator controls

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A ride op has no control over how fast a ride goes. A roller coaster is all based upon physics, and no controls can change that. As for the flow, I'm not really sure what you mean, but if the ride op and crew are slow at loading and unloading trains that kinnda relates to flow so yeah I guess they can control that. As far as better with time goes...I don't really think there's an answer to that, some get better, some get worse, some are just bad from the start (any Vekoma LOL). Like for example look at some of the coasters that have sustained their popularity throughout time, Ex. The Beast, that ride is still very popular despite being around 35 years old. Well thats all I got until next time....

Thanks for that I understand the physics bit. I think what i was trying to get across is and I shout have put it better does a roller coaster have days when it runs faster then say other days how does weather affect and that? Also do ride ops have any control on speed on a launch roller coaster or is a set thing

Thanks for that I understand the physics bit. I think what i was trying to get across is and I shout have put it better does a roller coaster have days when it runs faster then say other days how does weather affect and that? Also do ride ops have any control on speed on a launch roller coaster or is a set thing
This sounds like you might have a bit of a misconception about how the rides work. There is a damn good reason that launched rides are carefully throttled. Honestly though I won't get into all that. A launch is completely computer controlled and has to be because the amount of things happening in that short span of time is way to much for any human to monitor. The ride ops just push a button and then it is all up to the rides computer.

But on the other hand there are times when gravity propelled rides (ie chain lift) run faster. I have found that some run faster when it is hot and humid and wooden coasters I believe run faster in the rain (if they are operating). If I am just completely wrong please correct me.

I don't know about weather affecting lift speed, but I do know that some coaster's lifts do run at different speeds depending on how many trains are on the track (which usually relates to the crowds in the park, which could relate to weather, but I digress).

Being a coaster op I have first hand experience on this topic. No the ride op has no control on the speed but can change some variables that affect speed. Like on Wolvering Wildcat, which is manual brake, you can control how fast they enter the station and on Magnum you can turn the trims off and on which affects the speed on the second half of the ride. But for most coasters, like Shivering Timbers the only control you have is: Chain Start and Stop, Gates open/close, Lap bars open and close, Dispatch, emergency stop and what is called an emergency stop reset which is basically the same as pressing the reset button on your computer.

Here is a link to a pic of Shivering Timber's control panel that I took.(It's too big that's why I'm using this instead of just posting. )

but on dueling dragons at IOA, one train leaves before the other. then the other one goes when the first one is half way up the lift. apparently they got a system which weighs the trains so then it can control the lift speed to make the collision points more accurate.

Yay.. dragon talk.

Anyways, I sat behind controls on this ride for countless hours so let me give you all my two cents.

Dragons is very different from most coasters because of the lift. Personally, I was a trainer and had coaster talk with the tech's all the time and weight plays a very little factor... The trains ALONE weigh 14 tons (28,000 pounds.. crazy isnt it?).. so having a few large people in a train isnt going to hurt the dueling.

The lifts are timed.. but only to an extent. There is a "point of no return" where if we would dispatch Ice late.. Fire would might slow down and creep up the lift.. but once it reaches a certain point it will speed up and go like normal and the train will go over.

If you have been on Dueling Dragons a lot you'd probably noticed that if we see someone doing something stupid like taking off their belts or eat.. (even smoking.. stupid people) we stop it between the station and lift, on the transfer track. We do that because the other train on the lift wont slow down unless the train is in the transfer block.

If Ice is dispatched, and Fire has someone who wants off or something and is still in the station.. Ice will never slow down and go up the lift like any other coaster.

Confusing..

Eric