TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Revenge of the GeoDuck!!!!!

And now, Theme Park Review presents.....

So it sounds like the question to the "what is that dildo looking thing???" from our Vegas updatehas been answered. Apparently it's called "GeoDuck?!?!?"

From GeoDuck FAQ's

A geoduck is not a duck in any way, shape, or form. It is a species of large saltwater clam (Panope generosa) which is native to the northern Pacific coasts of Canada and the United States of America, that is, along the coasts of Washington state and the province of British Columbia. They live buried deep in the sand of ocean beaches, and feed on smaller sea creatures, sometimes reaching the age of 100+ years. The first time most people see one, they are immediately struck by the creature's strong resemblance to an oversized(?) example of a certain portion of the male anatomy. (If you've ever seen David Lynch's movie version of the science fiction novel Dune, think 'sandworm with an ill-fitting shell'.) Despite this seeming drawback, geoducks are dug up, cooked and eaten, particularly by people in China. If they can be caught; they are excellent diggers, and geoduck-hunting is not for the timid or squeamish.

The name seems to have originated from an Native American word meaning 'to dig deep'. It worked its way into English via a pidgin trading language called 'Chinook', which was developed and used between the area's Native Americans and the arriving European settlers. Why these two groups felt the need to discuss clams, I do not know.

"...they are immediately struck by the creature's strong resemblance to an oversized example of a certain portion of the male anatomy"

And for those of you who want to venture into the preperation of this dildo-like creature:

(Serves 4 to 6)

Inspired by the popular Chinese congee, this recipe by Vancouver chef and food writer

Stephen Wong is a great way to enjoy Geoduck.

The texture of this soup should be that of a thickened chowder.

Be sure to remove the chowder base from heat before adding Geoduck.

The heat of the chowder will cook the Geoduck while leaving it tender and sweet.

If you don't have miso, you can substitute 1 Tbsp/15 mL powdered chicken stock for flavouring.

Other seafoods such as prawns, scallops and fish can be added for extra body.

1 cup short grain rice 250 mL

8 cups chicken stock or water 2 L

2 Tbsp white miso paste, or more to taste 25 mL

salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste

2 Tbsp thinly shredded ginger root 25 mL

1 small Geoduck, both siphon and body meat, trimmed and thinly sliced 1

2 tsp sesame oil, optional 10 mL

1/2 cup corn flakes 125 mL

3 green onions, finely chopped 3

In a large saucepan or soup pot, combine rice and stock or water and bring to a boil. Watch carefully to avoid boiling over. Turn heat to low and simmer for 1 hour or until rice grains are soft and broken up. Allow to cool slightly then process in food processor or blender until smooth. Add more stock if soup is too thick and return to pot.

Bring rice chowder to a boil, add miso paste and stir to mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add ginger and cook for 1 minute to infuse flavours.

Remove from heat, add Geoduck slices and stir. Divide into bowls, garnish with a drizzle of sesame oil, a sprinkle of corn flakes and green onions and serve immediately.

Well, I hope you all have learned from this little educational experience, and I thank "Banzai" for letting me know what the dildo in question actually is! :shock:

--Robb "There is no way in hell I'm sticking that dildo thing in my mouth!!!" Alvey

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Some delicious irony there... a clam that looks like a penis...

There is something genuinely horrific about those things... especially in that picture with the granny hands.... ewwwwwwwwww

• 10 months later...

Well, in the past year there have been a few more developments with the GeoDuck.....

For example, everything you need to know about the GeoDuck can now be found here:

http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/sea/pugetsound/species/geoduck.html

Here's some new photos.....

geoduck-jockey-lrg.jpg.794b1238b6c9b320624b8dd18ff5efae.jpg

GeoDuck in photoshop contest!!! YES!!!!

geoduck.jpg.38416b63b7a6c49efcd6351dd335842e.jpg

This guy is also showing off his capture! I'm sure hunting that GeoDuck down took skill.

Geoduck06240520002.jpg.4213113b8d94551c60a8774317785541.jpg

This guy seems pretty proud of his "big one"

• 3 months later...

Who would've dreamed this thread could possibly be resurrected? If anyone's interested, next week's "Dirty Jobs" features a "Geoduck Farmer" among others, and is appropriately titled "Geoduck Farmer" (wow, creative).

It'll be on Discovery at 9:00 PM, next Wed., July 18th. Enjoy! I know I'm marking my calendar...