TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Trip tips for California, April 21 - 25, please!

Yo all you West Coast peeps, some friends and I are headed out to California in less than three weeks.

Specific questions I have are:

SFMM is open til 1am on Fri, Apr 22. I'm assuming this for some heavier attendance due to some event there, like a Christian Gospel Fest or something. Has anyone attended on this day and if so, how was it? Were crowds well behaved or was it total chaos? Also, does the park empty out at like 11pm or so? Anything to help with this day is MUCH appreciated.

Disney/Knotts on a Saturday...is this to be avoided at all costs? I know they are crowded but is it worth going to Disney on a Sunday instead of Sat to get lower crowds? Is Knott's THAT BAD on Saturday? It's open til 10pm, when do the crowds disperse usually?

What is the absolute cheapest we can get a Knott's annual pass right now?

Any other tips you guys have in mind can't hurt. We have accomodations covered, and we're all set at Universal too. We don't need any admission tips other than the Knott's annual pass.

Thanks guys!

Joe C.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

SFMM - It's the Hallelujah Jubilee, avoid it at all costs.

If you can't...just do the park during the day, it won't be as bad as it will become at night and all the church youth groups that had school during the day show up.

Disney and Knotts are both tolerable on a Saturday...look up when the "Twofer" ends though as that was the most crowded I've ever seen a Disney park...The final day to use your Twofer and Screamin, Soarin, Grizzly all had posted 180min waits!!!

If you decide on Knotts be there by 9am, get in line first to get your pass processed, you should be out by 9:45, then get in line at the gate, you'll have about 30 min to do the stuff in the front before it becomes unbearable, then move to the back of the park and get all that stuff done. Head out for lunch and maybe some needed sleep, then come back a 2 - 3 hours before closing.

You know how to do a Disney park on a crowded day I'm sure...

The absolute cheapest way that I know of to get a Knotts Pass is to find one of the leftover coupons that Knotts put out a couple of years ago with NO EXPIRATION date that are $59.95 if you buy 4 or more. Maybe someone else will have another idea.

Elissa "hope this helps" Alvey

Is it just a mob scene at night with long lines everywhere, Elissa? Or just obnoxious kids everywhere? I would love night rides!

And you mention a coupon they put out a while ago...I guess I'll step out here and ask if anyone has any leftover from when they printed em...and if so, if they'd be so kind to give us one.

I guess another question I had is what major rides are going to be down in that time. I'm assuming everything is starting to open back up at DLR because it's pretty close to the May 5 celebration. Is Deja Vu open? Xcelerator is over it's short rehab, right?

Thanks for the tip about SFMM, anyone else care to chime in, please do! I haven't been to Cali since 2002 and some of us in the group have never been there so we'd like to get everything in!

Joe

There will be long lines in between concerts, but mostly it's just a really obnoxious crowd. Not dissing Jesus or anything, just the youth groups and people this event draws are not the most polite. Most have very few chaperones and are annoying teenagers.

I'm pretty sure Deja Vu is back open...Everything *should* be open for your visit except Flashback. Expect Psyclone and Colossus to run 1 train each.

I searched ebay and google and didn't see any coupons for Knotts passes...I don't know if you guys all need passes, if not I found this City Pass thing that might be good for some of you:

Save over $70 On Southern California Fun! With just one pass you can experience four of Southern California's greatest attractions! The Southern California CityPass includes a one-day ticket to Knott's Berry Farm, Sea World Adventure Park, and the San Diego Zoo, plus a 3-Day Disneyland® Resort Park Hopper® Ticket. Adults CityPasses are just $172 and Kids (ages 3-9) are $129. CityPass is available for purchase at Knott's Guest Relations. Note: The collective value of the admission tickets is approximately $246 adult and $185 child when purchased individually. All tickets must be used within 14 days from first use.

Elissa "silly knotts and expiration dates" Alvey

I'll be living in Santa Clara, CA, for about 3 months.

I'll be free only on weekends.... I want to go to all the majors attractions parks in CA.

I would be very happy if semeone could do a list of which parks to do on saturdays and sundays. I don't like crowds.... i'm not patient at all !!

If you know any trics to avoid long lines, i want to know !

Can't wait to go to SFMM !!!

Having wandered into KBF on a Gospel Day, I'd avoid it. Cut-rate tickets, big crowds. And I know this is just me, but I really, really hate being proselytized when all I want to do is ride. What is it with Christianity and coasters? If I have to queue up behind one more fundie with an "I'm going to Heaven, but you're not" type Tshirt, I swear I'm gonna perform a Satanic rite right there on the loading platform. I mean, I don't go into some church, throw my hands in the air, and shout "Airtime!"

How funny.. I'll be going out there around the same time. I'm only going to Disneyland though (Apr. 20-23).

As far as the christian nights go.. about 10 years ago (back when I was christian) I went with my church to both DLR and KBF. It's a hassle, yes.. but it's not as bad as you would think it would be. Try to find out when the big concerts are (whatever people actually line up for), and hit the bigs rides then. Later in the evening the crowds start to thin out. I don't know if it's the same at SFMM, but when I went to KBF they cut the park off to the general public around 8pm. It's tolerable, but avoid it if you can.

On a sidenote, does anyone know what the crowds at DLR are like during the week? I haven't been in so long and I wasn't sure if April would be a busy time at all.

I'll be living in Santa Clara, CA, for about 3 months.

Well you know that Paramonts Great America is right there in Santa Clara, and to ride the best woodie in Cali, just drive "over the hill" on highway 17 and go to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Six Flags Marine worls is also close, the SoCal parks are a bit of a drive, you could do it in a weekend, but you would have to manage your time VERY cafully, if you want to get back in time to go to work monday morning, and still be alive

Hey yall-

I can only help you out about the Disney stuff because I went on Friday. The only things closed at DL are Space Mountain (July 17) and Jungle Cruise (any idea when it's opening?). There was nothing closed in DCA and the crowds were light in the morning and it started to build as the day went on. We got almost everything we wanted to be done in the first hour of opening, but the rest of the day we just basically hit single rider everything. The crowds might be good at DL, but at DCA, they will be great to you. Xcelerator is back over it's short rehab ( it opened up before Solace) and everything in KBF is up smoothly. Hope I was a help to you!

Brent "have a great trip" Shenton