700 ft. tall coaster?

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:55 pm

Once you reach terminal velocity, your sort of just air borne. I don't know if 700 ft. would be able to do that. Maybe. Any science wizzes?

Eastcoast Management

Postby Justin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:20 pm

Coasterlicious wrote:
Justin wrote:That is too tall for thrilling. Once your body falls at a certain speed you lose the freefalling. Has anyone been skydiving before?

Can you really compare skydiving to a roller coaster though? The free fall from a skydive is like what thousands of feet?

It doesn't matter, once the object reaches a certain speed it doesn't increase.

Throw a penny of the Empire State Building and it will be slowed down by wind resistance.

This 16 year old puts you to shame

Postby socalMAN123 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:30 pm

^True if you threw a penny of the Empire State Building it would be slowed down by the wind, but it still has enough speed to rip three feet into the ground.
Disobey

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby KC » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:36 pm

Justin wrote:
Coasterlicious wrote:
Justin wrote:That is too tall for thrilling. Once your body falls at a certain speed you lose the freefalling. Has anyone been skydiving before?

Can you really compare skydiving to a roller coaster though? The free fall from a skydive is like what thousands of feet?

It doesn't matter, once the object reaches a certain speed it doesn't increase.

Throw a penny of the Empire State Building and it will be slowed down by wind resistance.

Falling at terminal velocity for an extended period of time (like during skydiving) would create an unbelievably amazing coaster experience. I guess that's kind of the point of freefall towers though...

Banned

Postby maliboomer » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:39 pm

I don't see why they need to build any taller, it's the same sensation just lasting longer. I think they should definatley stop building coasters any higher when the cars start to reach terminal velocity, and Dragster almost acheives this. I mean, a ride that makes MF look tiny sounds cool, but these one trick ponys are lame. Why not make a 150fter B&M sit down, Incredible Hulk still gets into many peoples Top 10 and Even Top 3, and it was built like 6 years ago and Top Thrill Dragster IMO will slowly go further back and back with new offerings coming every year that make it seem almost boring and uninnovative.
*Waits for Shepp to flame him*

Banned

Postby maliboomer » Sat Apr 02, 2005 3:42 pm

socalMAN123 wrote:^True if you threw a penny of the Empire State Building it would be slowed down by the wind, but it still has enough speed to rip three feet into the ground.

Myth.
You would feel it if you hit or the head, and it would bruise, but it wouldn't cut the skin. Yes I do watch to much Discovery Channel. [/nerd]
Stupid Double Posting.

Eastcoast Management

Postby Justin » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:06 pm

^ ^ Right on the money -

Is it odd I feel 0 weightlessness on Dragster?

I ride it for the launch only. The height does nothing for me.. It's over so quickly.. MF I get more than all those rollercoasters combined on the first hill... THAT'S A COASTER!

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Sat Apr 02, 2005 4:34 pm

You can see why the folks in Vegas complained about that potential coaster, since the area around the Stratosphere is so classy and all... :P

dt

Beware of the Magic Donkey at Lotte World!

Postby Coasterkid20 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:03 pm

Personally the height factor has a negative impact on the coasters I've ridden. The only coasters in my top ten that goes over 200 feet are Xcelerator and Phantom's Revenge, and technically PR only drops over 200 feet. I think riding a coaster over 700 feet would be pointless. I'd rather see Stratosphere strap a big free fall ride to the side of the tower and drop you over 700 feet Intamin style, that way you can tak in the view and then feel like what it would be to fall from the top of Stratosphere. I don't think they'd ever do that since Big Shot is neatly placed at the very top :wink:

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby Coasterlicious » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:26 am

I want to go on the stratosphere rides .. they look like fun.. exspecialy that new one...

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!