Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Halloween- Lagoon, Lake Compounce, SFNE
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Canobie Coaster's World Adventures

Postby Canobie Coaster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:16 pm

No problem. I didn't realize pretty much every ride in the park received new signage.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Fluffy, Fluffy, Donkeys Filled With Medicine and Goo!

Postby coneyislandchris » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:56 am

larrygator wrote:Thanks, I was going to swing by in August just to get pictures of the new ride signs (and Top Spin) but I was too tired to make the side trip from Kings Island.

This is my excuse every time I'm in the area. I can't justify making the stop. Maybe one of these years, especially after reading the recent excellent reports. (Plus I haven't been on a Rock-O-Plane since a county fair in the early 90's.)
That coaster dad [316] and that coaster kiddo [175]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Intimidator 305. El Toro. Skyrush.

Kiddo's faves: Banshee. Top Thrill Dragster. Valravn. Apollo's Chariot. Twisted Timbers.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:04 am

If you're a fan of flats and atmosphere, Coney Island is worth a quick stop. If you're just into coasters, I can't really recommend Python when Kings Island has such a strong and diverse collection.
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:10 am

Stricker's Grove

When I found out I'd be out in Pittsburg near Labor Day, I made Stricker's Grove a priority. As many enthusiasts know, this charming little park is one of the hardest to visit as they're only open to the public four days per year. Labor Day happens to be one of those days and I did everything in my power to make it happen.

Sign.jpg
This was a direct contrast to Kings Island earlier that morning.

Operational Days.jpg
Amen for customer appreciation days.

I wasn't quite sure how crowded the park would be considering how infrequently they're open combined with their $12 admission. Fortunately it wasn't bad at all. The small midways were definitely bustling, but the longest I had to wait was 2 trains for either of the wooden coasters.

I'll start with the woodies. First I love their paint scheme. I'm a sucker for white wooden coasters and especially love the unique red and blue boards along the track. I started with Tornado and got the back row for both my rides. That turned out to be incredibly lucky as seating is on a first-come basis and waiting for a specific seat is not allowed.

With the buzz bars, I was hoping for some good air. However, after only a tiny pop on the first drop and absolutely no air on the subsequent turnarounds and speed hills, I let my guard down. But then midway through the ride, there was this unassuming drop with incredible ejector air. I was not expecting that! The final few hills maybe had another tiny pop, but nothing else reached the levels of that drop. While I never experienced the front, the lack of observed hairtime up there suggested there wasn't much airtime there either. It was pretty smooth though, even in a wheel seat. Ultimately it's a decent wooden coaster defined by one surprisingly awesome moment. 5 out of 10

Tornado Overview.jpg
This is definitely one of the rarest wood coaster credits out there.

Tornado Drop.jpg
Tornado had a few good moments.

Tornado Bunny Hill.jpg
But unfortunately most of the "airtime hills" don't have airtime.

Teddy Bear is the smaller of the two wooden coasters and the logo is absolutely adorable. Who doesn't love a teddy bear? Like Tornado, it was a smooth ride. As a junior wooden coaster, I wasn't expecting much in the airtime department. I think it had one tiny pop on the first drop, but not much else. Still it was an enjoyable coaster and certainly not one I felt embarrassed to ride. 4 out of 10

Terry Bear Sign.jpg
What a cute logo.

Teddy Bear Drop.jpg
I guess no one was in the mood for some mini golf.

I was hopeful the Flying Scooters would surprise me. When I got in the tub and noticed no chains or bumpers restricting the fin’s movement, I had visions of a wild ride loaded with snapping. That dream was squashed when I saw how slowly these were run. I'd be hard pressed to name a slower set out there. The cycle was long, but I'm not sure if that was a good thing considering how much of a snoozefest these were. 3 out of 10

Fountain.jpg
The only snapping that can be done is with your fingers.

After Tornado, my most anticipated ride was the Hrubetz Tip Top. Fiesta Shows has one of these in their fleet and I loved it as a kid. It was ridiculous how fast you could get those tubs to spin. Unfortunately it has been MIA for the past ten years despite still being listed on their website. I was beginning to think I'd never ride one again, but then I found out that Stricker's Grove had one of these marvelous contraptions.

The tubs were just as easy to spin as I remembered. The platform on this one couldn't have raised more than 20 degrees, but it was still enough tilt to give some added momentum and ferocity to the spinning. Sadly the cycle was short, but that was remedied by walking back on for a second ride. I really wish these tip tops would make a comeback since they're one of the better spinning rides out there. 8 out of 10

Tip Top.jpg
It had been years since I had ridden one of these.

Like Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World, Stricker's Grove was one of the rare parks to offer free soft drinks. However, instead of having direct access to the soda machines, Stricker's constantly replenished plastic cups with 7-8 different varieties of soda. Because of this set-up, I wonder if they don't always offer soda, but it was quite the perk on a day approaching triple digits on the thermometer.

Free Drinks.jpg
This is definitely the most unique set-up I've ever seen for free drinks at an amusement park.

I wasn't planning on grabbing lunch, but the park changed my mind with their $5 chicken and fries. I don't even think Knoebels can top those prices. The fries were really good- the perfect amount of crisp, salt, and grease. The chicken tenders were average in taste but well worth the price.

Chicken Tenders.jpg
$5 well spent.

Stricker's Grove was certainly an interesting park and I'm glad I visited. Aside from the nostalgia of Tip Top and one incredible drop on Tornado, Stricker's didn't have much to offer in the rides department. But what they did have was an undeniable charm. I definitely wouldn't plan a trip exclusively for Stricker's, but if I were in the Cincinnati area on a day they were open, I wouldn't hesitate to pop in for an hour or two.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:17 am

Wait you went from Pitt to Stricker's?! Although, you mention KI so I'm not sure how those plans shook out. I'm shocked, but I shouldn't be since I follow your reports and know how much ground you can cover. But jeez that's a long way to go! Stricker's seems to give this glow in enthusiasts' eyes and I don't know why. Sure, it's only open to the public a few days a year so if you are all about the credits then sure... but it's not like there's a Phoenix-like coaster in there, a funky dark ride, or DelGrosso's level small scale food :lmao:

Maybe I'm immune from the charm because I grew up in the area and we got more excited about going by Mount Rumpke on the way to and from :p
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:27 am

^ I had been planning a return trip to Kings Island to ride Mystic Timbers and wanted to time that visit when Stricker's was open because of their close proximity to each other. So my main reason to be in the Cincy area was Kings Island, but the timing of that visit was because of Stricker's operating schedule.

I agree the park doesn't quite have the signature ride that would attract enthusiasts, but it was a neat little place.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:00 am

Canobie Coaster wrote:^ I had been planning a return trip to Kings Island to ride Mystic Timbers and wanted to time that visit when Stricker's was open because of their close proximity to each other. So my main reason to be in the Cincy area was Kings Island, but the timing of that visit was because of Stricker's operating schedule.

I agree the park doesn't quite have the signature ride that would attract enthusiasts, but it was a neat little place.

Aha, gotcha! I figured you had a bigger plan but the way I was reading it seemed like you were led to believe Stricker's was a mini Knoebels. It does/or used to have that little train that goes around the park. Did you see that while you were there?
Chi-livin. @adultswim @cartoonnetwork | World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd.
Snaps: photoboothezizi

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:22 am

I never noticed the train running, but I did see the tracks running next to Tornado.

Postby coasterbill » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Great report of a park I'll never, ever end up at. :lol:

Canobie Coaster wrote:I guess no one was in the mood for some mini golf.

Too bad, they really blew the budget on that epic first hole.

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks!

Yeah that first hole looks like a doozy. Players better hope a leaf doesn't disturb their shot. :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!