SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

P. 121 - Tidal Twister, a Skywarp, to be added in 2019
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Nothing beats Cali coasters

Re: SeaWorld San Diego (SWSD) Discussion Thread

Postby chickenbowl » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:11 pm

Jew wrote:Doubt chance had anything to do with the show elements of the ride.

That's probably true, but my understanding is that the faulty hardware on the submarine vehicles is what 'killed' the attraction (the touchscreens were often broken too). They seemed to only get up to 2-3 subs (seating 6 per) operating at a time. This was well under the theoretical goal.

jedimaster1227 wrote:It just seems like Sub Quest was a low capacity attraction with little to the experience that wasn't worth the wait or the cost to operate. I'd imagine the park's overall satisfaction scores were increased on the days where the ride didn't operate versus those where it did.

cfc wrote:I watched a POV of Submarine Quest and thought how ticked off I'd be if I'd waited in line for it.

It's clear that the ride was ill-conceived from the get-go - The scope of theme-ing and ride experience was likely contained by a tight budget. But the actual operating up-time and rider capacity was considerably lower than the park planned/wanted/paid for.

From my experience, when the ride was operating it often had the longest wait times in the park. The demand for this type of attraction is there... This one was just a failure.

SIDE NOTE - Journey to Atlantis closed today for a 7-month rehab (opening May 24, 2019). We don't know the full scope, but I'd love to see a re-theme and re-name!
Chasing Airtime
Steel Vengeance|Intimidator 305|Maverick|Skyrush|Twisted Timbers
Lightning Rod|Outlaw Run|El Toro|Phoenix|Wildfire

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:35 pm

chickenbowl wrote:SIDE NOTE - Journey to Atlantis closed today for a 7-month rehab (opening May 24, 2019). We don't know the full scope, but I'd love to see a re-theme and re-name!

Oh wow, that's really extensive. I don't know that Sea World has the money to get it up to Orlando standards at the moment, so it could be just fixing a bunch of stuff on a 15 year old, mechanically complicated ride. Would be cool if they did add theming though.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby The Great Zo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:18 pm

chickenbowl wrote:SIDE NOTE - Journey to Atlantis closed today for a 7-month rehab (opening May 24, 2019). We don't know the full scope, but I'd love to see a re-theme and re-name!

I was there in mid-September and it had a significant amount of downtime. The coaster sections were a little rough, too. It seems like it could probably use some work.
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:27 pm

I hope it goes better than the Orlando rehab where they basically deactivated all the old theming. Granted this one didn't really have much theming to begin with.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Outlaw Run
Top 5 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Twisted Colossus, Fury 325
Most Recent Trip Reports- Lagoon & Lake Compounce Haunted Graveyard

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!