Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

P. 779: Tigris Coaster for 2019...Better news for 2020!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: Busch Gardens Tampa Bay (BGT BGA Discussion Thread)

Postby A.J. » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 pm

delan wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if the reason the Gwazi conversion took so long was because they were waiting for the Lightning Rod launch issues to be resolved.

I'd bet that they were looking at Rocky Mountain's I-Box conversions with cautious optimism when Gwazi closed, and by the time they said, "hey, let's do it", Rocky Mountain's backlog was probably filled for years. Perhaps the new ride has already been designed, and they just have to wait another year for Rocky Mountain's manufacturing lines to free up for them.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:17 pm

A.J. wrote:
delan wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if the reason the Gwazi conversion took so long was because they were waiting for the Lightning Rod launch issues to be resolved.

I'd bet that they were looking at Rocky Mountain's I-Box conversions with cautious optimism when Gwazi closed, and by the time they said, "hey, let's do it", Rocky Mountain's backlog was probably filled for years. Perhaps the new ride has already been designed, and they just have to wait another year for Rocky Mountain's manufacturing lines to free up for them.

That would be my bet too. They were like "Hey let us make sure these i-Box conversions go well." --- "Hey look! They went great! Let's order one!" --- And... Now it's hurry up and wait till RMC can get to them.
Bigger is not always better.

Postby coasterbill » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:32 pm

delan wrote:Hmmm, I wonder if the reason the Gwazi conversion took so long was because they were waiting for the Lightning Rod launch issues to be resolved. I can picture them having one side using the traditional lift and then flowing into the other side where it launches you uphill.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I don’t know where to begin with this, but I guess I’ll start with the notion that they decided to go ahead and pull the trigger now since everything with Lightning Rod is going swimmingly. :lol:

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby roflstomper » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:26 am

I'm actually genuinely surprised at this announcement for Gwazi. I thought that structure was toast especially considering how long it's been closed, heat and humidity for wood etc. My mental image of Gwazi was a rotting wood heap, guess I was wrong.

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:44 am

A.J. wrote:

Back in 2015 when I worked for the park (no longer work there, so I feel at liberty to say this) we had an employee Q&A with Mark Rose. We asked about Gwazi and he mentioned RMC as a possibility they were considering. He also talked about how they planned Sheikra and Cheetah Hunt years before those coasters actually opened. So I wouldn't be surprised if they had RMC Gwazi concepts back in 2015 or earlier and just couldn't make it happen until 2020.

I also heard there was a copyright for the name "Twisted Tiger" that was a potential for Tigris. Wonder if maybe they'll save that name for Gwazi? Wouldn't be the first (or second, or third) RMC conversion with the name "Twisted [x]." Mark Rose also mentioned he liked the idea of a barrel roll going over the walkway. So... I'm calling it now.
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:41 pm

RAWKIN_coaster38 wrote:Wouldn't be the first (or second, or third) RMC conversion with the name "Twisted [x]."

I'm waiting for Elitch Gardens to get their RMC, Twisted Twister.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:45 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Twisted Twister.

No, it will be Twisted Twister III: Built wilder the third time around because we were upstaged by some small little park in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania four years after we built it the second time and we're finally doing something about it.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:59 pm

A.J. wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Twisted Twister.

No, it will be Twisted Twister III: Built wilder the third time around because we were upstaged by some small little park in the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania four years after we built it the second time and we're finally doing something about it.

:nina:

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby JJLehto » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:30 am

My visit to BGT for the first time this year was great, but it struck me as more of a "full experience" over rides park. Like it was a great place for the family or a group to spend the whole day and get rides, food, sights, experiences. Much like how it was when my family went to Busch Gardens WIlliamsburg when I was 11/12.
But if you're there just for rides, esp traveling solo (as I do sometimes since the GF can't do rides) it's a bit pricey for not a ton of rides, esp since there's a good diversity but not a ton of thrill. And if there's ever an unfortunate day like I had where 2 flats are closed, feels like a big blow. So I think these rides are good additions.

BGT is IMO the best park in FL, and these 2 coming rides can really cement that. I know I'll prob go next year now, when I prob wouldn't have without this addition. 2020 is a given of course
Top 10 Steel: Steel Vengeance, Wicked Cyclone, Millennium Force, Storm Chaser, Skyrush, I305, Maverick, Lightning Run, Superman (SFNE), Kumba
Top 10 Wood: Voyage, Phoenix, El Toro, Boulder Dash, Mystic Timbers, Lightning Racer, Grizzly (KD), Legend, Raven, Beast
2018 Parks: (new) Busch Gardens Tampa, Kings Island, Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Cedar Point, Kennywood

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby VegasBaby » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:20 pm

grsupercity wrote:Sea World offers shuttles from Orlando to Busch Gardens and back to Orlando again. i have never taken it just seen if offered on there site last time I purchased combo tickets

That is correct, BGT has free shuttles from Orlando if you have a BGT ticket. On our Orlando trip last summer, the shuttle picked us up at the Universal transportation hub (we stayed at Cabana Bay) and got us to BGT right at the 10am opening. The only downside is that the return shuttle leaves BGT at 7pm and I think the park was open to 10pm that night. But luckily it wasn't a very busy day at BGT (mid-week in August), so we were able to ride everything with several re-rides and still make the 7pm return shuttle. The only rides that had any kind of line were Cheetah Hunt, Cobra's Curse, and Falcon's Fury. It blew my mind that we could just walk on Montu, Kumba, and Sheikra, three of the best B&M's ever built.

I love these announcements for BGT, it was already one of my favorite parks and these additions will only make it that much better. Time to plan another trip to Florida!
Coaster Count: 202 Last Coaster: Twisted Colossus
Top Ten: 1) Superman:TR 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Lightning Rod 9) Mako 10) Storm Runner

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!