TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags to operate Frontier City again

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frontier City has been working on construction of Fright Fest one of the new scare zones you can tell like it's some type of Zombie refuge camp. There is a look out tower and takes up a pretty good chunk of Wildcats Infield. They use the defunct and removed Eruption queue line and Ride area. Also they constructed a very large Photo op area called Shelter 28. I expect live scare actors will be in the back ground. There is a new game a Zombie Paintball game in the games section. Just LIke a Six Flags par would do in the weeks before and leading up too Fright Fest turn some type of fountain, or water in the park a blood red color. This week it was the pond between Gunslinger and Sidewinder.

IMG_0686.thumb.jpg.8063b007f1725b2ae3f78267e74f89ad.jpg

Fright Fest 2018

IMG_0690.thumb.jpg.5b98ab690648fec092ba4eb3201adaf7.jpg

Fright Fest 2018

IMG_0699.thumb.jpg.9fae82319857723f338b593b20ba555b.jpg

Fright Fest 2018

IMG_0709.thumb.jpg.d2e315a843929bcdfbc7c5f8c04cf827.jpg

Fright Fest 2018

IMG_0711.thumb.jpg.33573469664eb450a611426b73ee75f1.jpg

Fright Fest 2018

Frontier City has started teasing and by couple of their recent last posts on their FB page. I'm guessing it has to do with their kids area. Which needs some attention. That area has not had anything added too it since the petting zoo in 2004 and a coaster switch with Elitch Gardens in 2013 of the same model kiddie coaster. The area was constructed in 1998. So a Refresh of that area is long long overdue. So I would be OK with an area of the park that needs to be fixed up for the young thrill seekers. I'm Sad being an enthusiast I wanted something major. But Themeparks are not just for enthusiasts. They have to keep in mind all their guests. A General Public's point of view shows that the park is taking care of their park. What do you expect; Did you expect them to add something major after only being manged by Six Flags for a few months. Most of the money would have to be spent on the upcoming seasonal events and switching the park computer programs and all that capital expenditures over to a Six Flags park. That is not cheap So part of me was hoping for a major attraction but in reality know that was far fetched in such little time. Maybe next year they GO BIG!!

I have always thought they had one of the best kids areas of any park. I love the little play buildings, and there are a nice selection of rides, a petting zoo, a jungle gym thingy, and the foam ball play structure. Perhaps some rides could be switched out though.

Quality thrill rides are what the park is really starved for. The problematic zamperla power surge didn't really hit the spot, IMO.

I am holding out hope for a drop tower. That would really add something back without breaking the bank too much.

I have always thought they had one of the best kids areas of any park. I love the little play buildings, and there are a nice selection of rides, a petting zoo, a jungle gym thingy, and the foam ball play structure. Perhaps some rides could be switched out though.

Quality thrill rides are what the park is really starved for. The problematic zamperla power surge didn't really hit the spot, IMO.

I am holding out hope for a drop tower. That would really add something back without breaking the bank too much.

Yes I agree it's a pretty good kids area. Some of the play structures are showing their age. The foam balls definitely need to be swapped out for new foam balls they are badly faded and weathered. Stuff on the pay gym needs to be updated so that it works. The rides in the kids area they have are based only for little kids to ride. Parents cannot ride with their child. So if they add a few rides parents can do with their child that would be great right now the only thing a parent can ride with their child is the Wild Kitty coaster. So if they revamp the section and a add few more rides a parent can ride. That would be good. If they can bring in some of the Looney Tunes characters for a meet and great area that would be helpful. My opinion doing this will impress your local General Public. Enthusiast well that won't impress them they will pass on this park But if the park does other things to I can see it working out for them in the long run. Thursday around the corner so we will see what happens at the park. Going to be interesting to see what Six Flags does taking back over the keys too this park. Also curious too what White Water Bay gets they kind of get skipped every other year for a new attraction. I can't wait too see what happens this Thursday.

Looking forward to see what Frontier City posts for their new attraction tomorrow. Not expecting much from them since the park was just taken over earlier this summer. Will See I did go to their website and they now added Thanksgiving weekend to their "A Frontier Christmas"

Frontier City, Oklahoma’s favorite theme park, will introduce an exciting, interactive new kids’ area that will be home to adorable new characters. The all-new Timber Town will feature four new, innovative attractions designed especially for the young thrill-seekers, plus enchanting new theming and fresh, re-imagined updates of the original children’s rides. Lovable characters like Bucky the Beaver, Hootie the Owl and Bubba the Bear will be on hand for lots of pictures with young guests.

1302827447_ScreenShot2018-08-30at6_48_33AM.thumb.png.85eeff7ea27126321382a5d536fa0305.png

The kids area needed to be updated badly and I'm glad the park is doing something adding family rides that parents can actually ride with their Children is a nice touch. Right now the only attractions in the kids area that parents can enjoy together. Is Wild Kitty and The Play structure. All the current kid rides in the area are too small for an adult. So good for them it will help build pass and memberships. Which in return Frontier City can have a larger attraction added in 2020.

Great news! I Found out tonight watching a live stream tonight about Fiesta Texas detailed plans. During the question and answer a guest aske if they can use their current Six Flags Pass/Membership at the new parks like Splashtown Houston and Frontier City in Oklahoma. They said Yes starting today the 2018 Six Flag passes/memberships can be used at the new parks.

I also emailed the park about the new rides. My reply was that Wild Kitty is being removed for the new coaster "Frankie's Mini Mine train". Which is one of 3 brand new rides from Zamperla. The coaster being installed in Wild Kitty's area is a Zamperla Family Gravity Coaster model. Holiday in the Park has expanded the season with it now starting Black Friday with weekend only operations. then on the 18th the park is open everyday till january 6th. In that time frame two days the park will be closed Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. So I guess you can see Frontier City received a new roller coaster. LOL I'm glad the are refreshing an area that has not been touched since 1997.

I follow a local FB Blog page called Frontier City Thrills here in Oklahoma that connects with staff at the park. According to a post on that page one of the admins of the page talked with somebody in maintenance. They said there was already set in place an attraction for 2019 at the old Eruption sight Before Six Flag took over management. So if those plans will still be in place for 2020 that will be the question I highly doubt it but we know Six Flags will have their own plans for the park. I hope its true the park needs a good tower ride to replace Eruption. Drop tower or a Skyscreamer. I say they need to get a Skyscreamer there is not any in the state and locals here would love it the views they would get from a Skyscreamer. They would get awesome views of downtown and the nearby lake. They could advertise it as the tallest ride in Oklahoma.

^That would not surprise me. The canning of Stephen Ball (previous GM) shows that they are taking this park in a different direction. Stephen set the park up to go bigger. Six Flags wants to keep it smaller as a "feeder" park for SFOT and the chain in general. I'm sure we'll get a new thrill ride eventually, but once again you can feel the brakes being put on.

It's a good addition, don't get me wrong. This is a serious investment, and much better than many of the additions we got under previous SF years. Like I said earlier though, I didn't think the kids area was the weak point. It also feels so cut-and-paste whereas FC was really starting to build up it's own theming and character in the past few years. SF will rip it all out I'm sure.

The Great Escape is exactly the kind of treatment I expect. We can look forward to a decent ride every few years. Forget about a coaster unless it's a super cheap model or a hand-me-down.

Shave your comment about the coasters technically is right. They are getting a brand new cheap coaster.. "Frankie's Mini Mine Train". Kidding aside I'm OK with what they are going to do to the area. Beside the 3 brand new rides, and a SFOT relocation ride. They are reworking the whole area the mini buildings are remaining and everything is else is getting a complete makeover even the Large Play Structure. So the remodel of the kids area is going to be pretty significant change for the park.

I don't believe they are entirely using Frontier City as a feeder park. It has always been a feeder park for Over Texas. There is a lot of OKC metro resident's I know who don't care to set foot in Frontier City and have Passes too Over Texas. Now that Frontier City is back they feel their Pass has more value. They plan to visit Fright Fest this year and HITP. The way Passes work this time around compared to back in 2006. It's a win for Frontier City. It will be interesting how the membership works at this park in 2019.

Future attraction wise I'm not worried one Six Flags only leasing the management rights to the park. The one that will fit the bill for new rides will be EPR out of Kansas City. EPR is financial backers of Top Golf, Schlitterbahn Water park Resorts, Several theme park and amusement parks. They will make sure to continue investing into their parks.

Oklahoma City is a lot larger and better then it was in 2006. You know what so is Six Flags. I think Six Flags this time around will do a much better job with this park. I know it's a lackluster addition. A whole area of the park is being completely remodeled it just not adding a few kids rides. A brand new Jr. Roller coaster to replace the painful aging Wildkitty. Two new Flat rides and a relocated ride from Six Flags Over Texas. The whole area from the local press release a complete remodel of the whole kids area. The tiny buildings are staying and the Two play structures are getting make overs with additions and changes. the park saw an area that has not been touched since 1997 they felt that change was needed more then a Thrill rides. Their focus was on what families locally would want to see done at the park. Not Thrill seekers enthusiast wanted to see added to the park.

2020 I can see a ride clone come to this park. Coaster wise I can see A 4D Free Fly coaster if not that a tower ride like a Skyscreamer or Drop Tower. The park is missing some type of tower ride since they removed Eruption and Hangman. This time around I think Six Flags will do a better job of taking care of the park. Time will only tell I like that their season was extended now I can enjoy the park 10 months out of the year. Instead of 7 months of the year.