TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Haha I grew up on a nasty lake so none of that bothers me. Quick shower after a swim and I'm good to go. No brain eating parasites yet *knock on wood*

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Blue green algae is a huge problem in the lakes around here, including Lake Erie. Unfortunately, a lot of the beaches on Lake Erie (between Erie and Buffalo) are closed more than they are open due to high amounts of bacteria in the water. The later in the summer and the warmer the lakes get, the worse the algae and bacteria get. You hit it at the right time where bacteria levels were likely low.

I had a co-worker friend that almost died from ingesting water in our lake while water-skiing a few years ago, so it's definitely a risk that you take if you want to go lake swimming around here anymore.

I used to swim in Lake Erie all the time when I was growing up, but not anymore. I'm with Elissa in that I would rather swim in chlorinated water and do water slides than take the risk, but that's just me.

I'm glad that you and your wife had a great time at CP and got to enjoy the beach though!

When Bert and I were there last year, I ventured up to just over my knees in the water.

Then a quick turn around and back to the cement pool & jacuzzi for me! And I

thoroughly rinsed myself down before getting into either pool, too.

IMG_3835.JPG.610305d804e12dd7acc517c51dfbacb2.JPG

Looked nice from the Hotel patio. Sat.June 3, 2017.

Edited by Nrthwnd

When Bert and I were there last year, I ventured up to just over my knees in the water.

Then a quick turn around and back to the cement pool & jacuzzi for me! And I

thoroughly rinsed myself down before getting into either pool, too.

the water was still cold then (early June).. but I'd think in Aug, it shoudl be warm enough to swim.

tho I likely would still stick to the pools/Jacuzzi.

See, in Tennessee, we actually have the brain eating amoeba, but luckily, it's not a normal occurrence and normally happens in late August. And maybe only one case every few years.

As for the slides, we did visit the outdoor park once but it was so packed, it want any fun so we scratched that idea fairly quickly. (Glad the tickets were free with the room)

On a side note, I did find it odd that the CP raft ride seemed to be lake fed! But it was one of the best raft rides I have ever been on and boy do you get soaked! That doesn't happen on many raft rides now days

Edited by dstephe9

Not trying to play Debbie Downer here, but I ended up contracting hot tub folliculitis from the hot tub at Soak City after some time at the swim-up bar.

The day after we were there, I got all of these welts on my body and when I went to my doctor, she asked if I had been in a hot tub recently.

And that's why I avoid public hot tubs and lakes anymore. It's my dumb luck that I get stuff like that...and yeah, I'd be the one with that would probably inhale that brain-eating amoeba!

Oh yeah, I’ve seen them all over the park... especially on the marina side. I know they were endangered and that they’re essential to the lake or whatever and we even stood with one while it crossed the midway a few months ago so people didn’t step on it or run it over with a stroller but I have no interest in swimming in a lake full of highly aggressive water snakes. F*ck that.

I know they were endangered and that they’re essential to the lake or whatever and Brit even made me stand with one while it crossed the midway a few months ago so people didn’t step on it or run it over with a stroller but I have no interest in swimming in a lake full of highly aggressive water snakes. F*ck that.

Fixed your story since we know that's what really happened.

I had no idea there were water snakes in Lake Erie, how cool! Looks like they're bitey but non-venomous. Definitely easier to get along with than our rattlesnake neighbors, however, it would be a little freaky to have a snake go after you while you're swimming!

Not trying to play Debbie Downer here, but I ended up contracting hot tub folliculitis from the hot tub at Soak City after some time at the swim-up bar.

The day after we were there, I got all of these welts on my body and when I went to my doctor, she asked if I had been in a hot tub recently.

And that's why I avoid public hot tubs and lakes anymore. It's my dumb luck that I get stuff like that...and yeah, I'd be the one with that would probably inhale that brain-eating amoeba!

Oh! I also avoid Hot Tubs! Human soup with a bunch of half naked strangers never really appealed to me.

I'm pretty sure they just released their attendance numbers on their corporate site a few weeks or so ago. I might be wrong but I thought I read them somewhere. Last year, I know they were stagnant but I'd imagine attendance would be a little up this year

EDIT: Found it. They don't report numbers aside from being down 300,000 guest but it looks down overall at most of their parks. It says resorts are up so that should be a good sign for CP and Knotts (Their two main resort parks). Yeah, their other parks have campgrounds but I'd imagine most of their resort revenue is up from CP and Knotts, both with big new rides meaning attendance at those parks is probably up

http://ir.cedarfair.com/newsroom/press-releases/news-release-details/2018/Cedar-Fair-Reports-Revenues-Through-July-4th-Holiday-Weekend/default.aspx

EDIT 2: On a side note, my trip was last minute and I started planning it two weeks ago.. Breakers was booked up until mid last week for this past weekend. I was able to get rooms, right before the cancellation period expired for the weekend so if they are filling the hotels in advance, that's a good sign. Express was never fully booked as far as I could tell, but breakers was. My wife and I always wait until last minute to plan trips! Our last trip to Disney in October we booked 2 days before we left. The perks of not having any kids and having jobs that give us a schedule far enough out.

Couple pages late due to the sparked debate about water but we are staying at Castaway Bay because I am a ginger and have ginger kids who are also still real young we wanted them to be able to avoid the sun some and enjoy the water. We will be going to Cedar Point shores.

Oh! I also avoid Hot Tubs! Human soup with a bunch of half naked strangers never really appealed to me.

Human soup...I like that!

Made my first trip to the park yesterday. It was everything it was hyped up to be and more. This park is literally perfect, it’s clean, the setting is amazing, the Ride lineup was everything it was hyped up to be, and it’s got 3 of the best coasters ever. I’ve only been to 1 other CF park and that was Carowinds and their ops were just ok. Here at CP they’re a far cry from the snails pace my home park SFNE dispatches trains.

Steel Vengeance (x1)- Only got to ride it once because it broke down before I got back over to it but one ride on this thing and I can definitely say it’s the best coaster I’ve ever ridden. I can’t even really form words to describe this thing it’s so unbelievable. The airtime is ridiculous the inversions are great and there is not one moment where this thing isn’t trying to throw you out of the train. I don’t think I’ll ever ride another coaster better than this one.

Maverick (x2)- At literally any other park this would be by far the best coaster there but unfortunately it’s neighbor is the most insane thing known to man. This ride is still absolutely phenomenal. The lightning fast transitions make for insane laterals, the 2 moments of airtime are some of the strongest ejector I’ve experienced and the Stengel dive is one of the best elements on any coaster I’ve ridden. Thank god they put the soft straps on this, I could see it sucking big time with the hard ones because I still got a bit of neck bashing from the transitions with the soft ones.

Millennium Force (x8)- SV and Mav May be better coasters but this ride was the highlight of the trip for me. Anybody who thinks this ride is overrated is off their god damn rocker. This ride is absolutely amazing and is still one of the best coasters ever. The drop is absolutely insane and is the best drop outside of El Toro I’ve ever experienced. The first overbank is OMFG intense, and the speed is just jaw dropping. Also had a lot more air then I was expecting. The 2 main hills had some nice floater and the speed hill past the station has a nice pop of ejector. Don’t quite know what people are on about when they say it has no air. Night rides on this are also legendary. The ride is so warmed up it feels like it’s gunna rip it’s self apart and the crowd gets so rowdy. I’ve never seen a station as loud as this ride at night. It makes for one hell of an experience. MF night rides are definitely the most fun I’ve had on a coaster in a long long time.

Top Thrill Dragster (x2)- While having the lap bars is nice I really really don’t see how people think this is so much better than Ka. Sure outside the front row Dragster is probably much smoother but from the front seat (which is the only seat I sit in on these anyway) they’re literally the exact same in terms of smoothness. I honestly also think Ka’s launch is a bit stronger. They’re too similar for me too pick one. Dragster has the lap bars, Ka has a stronger launch. They kinda cancel each other out for me.

Magnum (x1)- Was pleasantly surprised by this. I expected a really bumpy old hyper with uncomfortable restraints that ruin the air time. I sat in the 2nd to last row and it wasn’t bumpy at all and the return run has some very good ejector. Solid hyper nothing special.

Raptor (x1)- I’m a huge fan of inverts and this one is no different. Not quite as good as Afterburn at Carowinds since that ride is more compact and a bit more intense. This ride has that helix of death tho, my lord that thing is insane.

Gatekeeper (x1)- This is my first wing coaster so it was a very cool experience. The wing over drop was really cool, the key holes were cool. Very forceless but a fun smooth and relaxing ride isn’t a bad thing.

Valravn (x1)- My first dive coaster, it was just ok. It just doesn’t do much for me. The drops are ok but everything else is just forceless and boring. The best restraints also aren’t really my favorite either.

Wicked Twister (x1)- Don’t really have much to say about this, it was decent. Had an ok launch.

Rougarou (x1)- This is a great floorless coaster. Not quite as good as Bizarro but almost as good. Very smooth for most part, I’ve heard some people complaining about this ride being rough but it’s not at all.

Gemini (x1)- Another ride I was pleasantly surprised by. It was smooth, had some good moments of airtime and watching people high five each other as the trains run next to each other was pretty entertaining.

Corkscrew (x1)- It sucks. The only bad coaster I rode there.

All in all a great day. Got on all that I wanted and some re rides without the fast lane. Next time I come back the fast lane will be in the budget and that should help me ride SV some more. What a wonderful park this is. I feel pretty lucky having SFNE as my homepark and having Great Adventure 3 hours away as a 2nd homepark. But if CP is your homepark I absolutely envy you.

Millennium Force (x8)- SV and Mav May be better coasters but this ride was the highlight of the trip for me. Anybody who thinks this ride is overrated is off their god damn rocker. This ride is absolutely amazing and is still one of the best coasters ever. The drop is absolutely insane and is the best drop outside of El Toro I’ve ever experienced. The first overbank is OMFG intense, and the speed is just jaw dropping. Also had a lot more air then I was expecting. The 2 main hills had some nice floater and the speed hill past the station has a nice pop of ejector. Don’t quite know what people are on about when they say it has no air. Night rides on this are also legendary. The ride is so warmed up it feels like it’s gunna rip it’s self apart and the crowd gets so rowdy. I’ve never seen a station as loud as this ride at night. It makes for one hell of an experience. MF night rides are definitely the most fun I’ve had on a coaster in a long long time.

MF seriously feels like it never loses speed, and the raw energy in the station at night is unmatched.

This guy gets it. Millennium Force (especially in the evening on a warm day) was my favorite coaster for years and years until Steel Vengeance came along.

Nice review of each of the coasters! Glad you had a great time on your first trip to the park. The second to last row on Magnum is my favorite, I always make sure to get a few rides in that row. So much fun.

All in all a great day. Got on all that I wanted and some re rides without the fast lane. Next time I come back the fast lane will be in the budget and that should help me ride SV some more. What a wonderful park this is. I feel pretty lucky having SFNE as my homepark and having Great Adventure 3 hours away as a 2nd homepark. But if CP is your homepark I absolutely envy you.

Hi glad that you had a great visit! We started going to this park two years ago and fell for it. SFNE is my home park also as well as SFGadv being 3 hours from me. I enjoy both of these and am glad that I have them also. However, it would be the absolute best if I could have all 3 close like that. We will be at CP in 4 weeks and can'tt wait.

Millennium Force (x8)- SV and Mav May be better coasters but this ride was the highlight of the trip for me. Anybody who thinks this ride is overrated is off their god damn rocker. This ride is absolutely amazing and is still one of the best coasters ever. The drop is absolutely insane and is the best drop outside of El Toro I’ve ever experienced.

tenor.gif?itemid=4445019

Magnum (x1)- Was pleasantly surprised by this. I expected a really bumpy old hyper with uncomfortable restraints that ruin the air time. I sat in the 2nd to last row and it wasn’t bumpy at all and the return run has some very good ejector.

That's the true magic seat. In the back, but not over the wheels. I talk about this whenever Magnum comes up, but many people don't seem to pick up on it.

Millennium Force (x8)- SV and Mav May be better coasters but this ride was the highlight of the trip for me. Anybody who thinks this ride is overrated is off their god damn rocker. This ride is absolutely amazing and is still one of the best coasters ever. The drop is absolutely insane and is the best drop outside of El Toro I’ve ever experienced.

tenor.gif?itemid=4445019

Seconded.

Agreed, I will always grant its not technically the best coaster, but as an experience....god damn it's perfection, and every time.