TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

Good lord, what did I just read?

I don’t want to pile on, but what the hell is wrong with people?

Exactly, I had an amazing experience. Thanks so much, Knotts for inviting us. We were able to ride from 7: am - 8:30 am and have a wonderful breakfast. After some technical adjustments and of course daily safety checks. While we waited from 6-7, We saw engineers testing the seatbelt strength. I admired seeing first hand Knotts commitment to safety. This took roughly an hour but I was more than happy to chat with fellow enthusiasts as we waited. They released us about 8:30 and we had ERT with about 50 radio winners to all of the boardwalk section including Hangtime, California Coaster, Sky Cabin, Supreme Scream, Excellerator and camp snoopy. (And I believe the village area as well but we prioritized the bigger rides). I got in 5 rides on excellerator a dozen or so on California Scream 10 times on hang time all before the park opened. Then, of course, everyone ran to hangtime and we got to enjoy the park without that long of lines. The longest line was 40min ish for Ghost Rider. The only ride we didn't do was roaring rapids as I didn't feel like getting soaked.

and not to beat a dead horse, but I meant to say this yesterday, and tho it's common sense, i do think it must be said out-loud:

Even those of us who don't "work" for TPR, represent this site when we go to parks.

When I meet folks in line and we chat, I almost always recommend they check out TPR. (heck, at CoasterMania! last year, I lost track of the number of times Bill would tell folks we were talking to how we were going to do a trip report on TPR afterwards, and they should check it out. . .always giving the web address too).

again, it's common sense, but saying it out loud: please. . don't be THAT guy (or gal). . . . it costs nothing to be appreciative and polite.

--> I sometimes wear my Club TPR shirt out to parks. And when I do? I am on my *best* behavior, and make absolutely positive that I'm polite to everyone -- but ESPECIALLY to someone who works for the parks.

For example, last month before Wonder Woman opened at Fiesta Texas, and I was included in a nice conversation with a Supervisor and a representative from a local Coaster club out in-front of the coaster construction (the Club member and I were talking and the Supervisor came up to him).

Yes, I did inform them that I didn't work for TPR, but was an active member of the Community here. . . but you bet I realized I was representing Robb, Elissa, and this site, even if I wasn't in any way,shape,or form formally representing them at the park.

They released us about 8:30 and we had ERT with about 50 radio winners to all of the boardwalk section including Hangtime, California Coaster, Sky Cabin, Supreme Scream, Excellerator and camp snoopy. (And I believe the village area as well but we prioritized the bigger rides). I got in 5 rides on excellerator a dozen or so on California Scream 10 times on hang time all before the park opened.

Woah, woah, woah.... wait a second... I had no idea you guys got ERT on the WHOLE DAMN AREA??!?! That's AMAZING!!!

So what in the hell was Mr. Corn talking about when he posted to Reddit:

https://old.reddit.com/r/rollercoasterjerk/comments/8knhwm/dae_blobb_strikes_again/

and for the record, the "no wait" narrative is false, i was there for 4 hours and got in a couple rides, and when i did the math, i would have waited less per ride if i just attended the official opening (where the line was about 45 minutes)

Seriously, the more I'm hearing from this event (and not just you but other people who have privately messaged me) make me feel even better about getting rid of these people who felt the need to bitch and complain or break the most obvious rules of theme park fandom.

Sounds like it was a GREAT event and I'm glad you had fun!

--Robb "This is why we can't have nice things..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

The longest line was 40min ish for Ghost Rider.

I thought Ghost Rider was down for maintenance until the 25th? It's still listed as closed on the park's website.

i'd read that it opened Friday, and that it would be open for the weekend on a facebook group.

TPR can choose to post whatever they want because it’s their business and they’re responsible for those posts.

And also keep in mind that not only are we responsible for our own posts, but we ARE actually responsible for everyone else's post, too.

Contrary to some people's beliefs, TPR is not a "free place to say whatever the hell you want to." We do ask that people abide by some very simple guidelines and rules that can pretty much be broken down to "please be a decent human, not an obnoxious shitbag" and when people are unable to act that way (sadly happening more and more often lately) it's our responsibility to step in and correct that situation.

And seriously, these last few pages of garbage could have been completely avoided if people would have been "decent humans" and apologized for their lack of personal responsibility. And in 2018 being a "decent human" is apparently too much to ask of people.

giphy.gif

Good lord, what did I just read?

I don’t want to pile on, but what the hell is wrong with people?

Exactly, I had an amazing experience. Thanks so much, Knotts for inviting us. We were able to ride from 7: am - 8:30 am and have a wonderful breakfast. After some technical adjustments and of course daily safety checks. While we waited from 6-7, We saw engineers testing the seatbelt strength. I admired seeing first hand Knotts commitment to safety.

Yup you get it. I’ve had the opportunity to cover events at SFNE, Great Adventure and Dutch Wonderland thanks to TPR. I’m greatful every time Robb offers! Is everything always perfect, no but I’ve never had a bad time. The parks are always hospitable and mechanical issues are out of their control. It’s not like it makes any park happy if there are issues. If you don’t know how to have fun at events like this you just don’t know how to have fun and also don’t belong on TPR which was built for and on fun. Thanks again Robb for what you, your family & friends continue to do with TPR! Thanks for also sharing it with all of us!

Edited by Sluggo77

^ I would be honored to do a TPR event as well. I can't imagine getting so much for nothing and still complaining about it after the fact.

From reading some of Mr. Corn's past posts as well as a couple of his trip reports, I kinda sensed that he was a bit spoiled and immature. After seeing his posts on here as well as those Reddit posts, that definitely sums up what I had wondered.

And why would someone think that it would be okay to do an on-ride POV despite the fact that it was with a watch? WTF? Any coaster enthusiast with half a brain knows that it is against any park rules to do any type of POV without their prior consent.

Despite the fact that I felt a renewed appreciation with regards to people in general after our vacation to Branson, I read stuff like this and think - nope, still a ton of stupid, self entitled a-holes out there!

They released us about 8:30 and we had ERT with about 50 radio winners to all of the boardwalk section including Hangtime, California Coaster, Sky Cabin, Supreme Scream, Excellerator and camp snoopy. (And I believe the village area as well but we prioritized the bigger rides). I got in 5 rides on excellerator a dozen or so on California Scream 10 times on hang time all before the park opened.

Woah, woah, woah.... wait a second... I had no idea you guys got ERT on the WHOLE DAMN AREA??!?! That's AMAZING!!!

So what in the hell was Mr. Corn talking about when he posted to Reddit:

https://old.reddit.com/r/rollercoasterjerk/comments/8knhwm/dae_blobb_strikes_again/

and for the record, the "no wait" narrative is false, I was there for 4 hours and got in a couple rides, and when I did the math, I would have waited less per ride if I just attended the official opening (where the line was about 45 minutes)

Seriously, the more I'm hearing from this event (and not just you but other people who have privately messaged me) make me feel even better about getting rid of these people who felt the need to bitch and complain or break the most obvious rules of theme park fandom.

Sounds like it was a GREAT event and I'm glad you had fun!

--Robb "This is why we can't have nice things..." Alvey

Hi Robb. I was honored to go. I think both people were expecting a free for all. I know the Ride Op guy left at 8:30 and it was true he rode 3 times before then from 7-8:30ish and got there from what he said at 5am. I didn't see Mr. Corn after we were free to go. I know he was on the ride when Fox 11 asked for an interview. (Footage of course was shown at the noon hour and mixed with our ride video) I don't know why they said it wasn't used. It wasn't used for the 7 am but it aired on noon (I have the footage on the DVR). Upon checking my photos we were let go at 8:25. We were able to ride hangtime (I did and I don't recall if they did) until 8:45 and then they started opening up the Boardwalk section for the ERT.

I’m starting to think the parks in my area have it right where they advertise new rides themselves on social media, release an open date, and then pretty much open on that date and if you want t to cover it you’re going to have to get in line. I know they take pictures with riders but I have never seen a media event in Korea, it wouldn’t surprise me if they just used their employees.

This is going to be a really exciting month at Knott's. Hangtime opened this past weekend, Ghost Town Alive opens this coming weekend, and then we get two new summer shows (with trampolines!?) two weeks after that.

(that's me on one of the giant trampolines at the Calico Stage)

I’m starting to think the parks in my area have it right where they advertise new rides themselves on social media, release an open date, and then pretty much open on that date and if you want t to cover it you’re going to have to get in line. I know they take pictures with riders but I have never seen a media event in Korea, it wouldn’t surprise me if they just used their employees.

I feel like here in the US, everything has to be an "event" or the hype just dries up. There always has to be a sense of something special happening, or some reason (such as news anchors freaking out riding a roller coaster because OH-EM-GEE I'M SCARED OF ROLLER COASTERS but they sent me here anyway) to get people interested in or excited about something.

Today's social sharing culture in the US just emphasizes that - whether it's some random travel blog, or Theme Park Review itself (I mean this lovingly), "would you ride this"-type videos get around, and being able to drop a video of a rider cam or on-ride video the day a roller coaster opens is essentially prime time for that sort of thing.

This is going to be a really exciting month at Knott's. Hangtime opened this past weekend, Ghost Town Alive opens this coming weekend, and then we get two new summer shows (with trampolines!?) two weeks after that.

that's great!

how many times a day do you have to perform?

that's great!

Oh no, I'm just playing. lol

that's great!

the smiley, Bert. the smiley.

but here's a little naked view of the trampolines when they were building it.

IMG_4269.thumb.JPG.98317ca3c746b2c2a3135412cfa2293e.JPG

^ I read that as just him being excited about being in the show.

there are a bunch of TPR members who work in parks. . would have been cool for him to be a performer.

but ok, he was just teasing. . no biggie

I had a chance to go to a shoot for the Travel Network show "Bert: The Conqueror" on Shivering Timbers at MiA, and took my son. We got to ride ST a handful of times, got some food, and got free admission to the park. We had a blast, and in spite of not ending up in any on-ride footage they shot, it was a great event, and both my son and I will always treasure that experience!

If you don't understand the nature of one of these shoots going in (and in addition to being pretty well spelled out in the invites, you can also call and ask if you have questions), you should really not go, because filming for TV, or commercials, isn't "Enthusiast ERT". But if you let go of your expectations, and just go along for the ride, whatever that may be, you're likely to have a fun, and unique time!

If you don't understand the nature of one of these shoots going in (and in addition to being pretty well spelled out in the invites, you can also call and ask if you have questions). You should really not go because filming for TV or commercials isn't, "Enthusiast ERT". But if you let go of your expectations, and just go along for the ride, whatever that may be, you're likely to have a fun and unique time!

I couldn't agree with you more. I have been to commercial shoots, invited by TPR to cover media event's, etc. There is a HUGE difference between the media event's parks invite you to and commercial shoots... and to be honest, you have to be a special kind of stupid to confuse one with the other!

Now every time someone mentions HangTime, all I can think about is BanTime

I had a chance to go to a shoot for the Travel Network show "Bert: The Conqueror" on Shivering Timbers at MiA, and took my son. We got to ride ST a handful of times, got some food, and got free admission to the park. We had a blast, and in spite of not ending up in any on-ride footage they shot, it was a great event, and both my son and I will always treasure that experience!

SWEET! Did you get to meet Bert?

SWEET! Did you get to meet Bert?

I enjoyed watching his show when it was on (are they still producing new episodes?)

Through TPR, my wife and I were able to enjoy a film shoot for the Travel Channel a few years ago. We had a great experience that exceeded our expectations and we are still very grateful for it. We appreciated the opportunity TPR gave their members to enjoy an experience that is not common for the general public. I'm sorry that some people don't appreciate these opportunities given to them but I hope that doesn't stop Robb from providing these experiences to people who would be genuinely grateful for them.

Here's a clip from the finished film shoot that we were a part of... thanks again TPR for the wonderful opportunity to enjoy the park in a very special way.

https://www.travelchannel.com/videos/the-xcelerator-0187075