Dollywood Discussion Thread

P. 1678: Wildwood Grove announcement
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 10 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I Love Donkeys!

Re: Dollywood Discussion Thread

Postby komasixx » Mon May 14, 2018 8:38 pm

The current lightning rod trains no longer have the original windshield, trunk, front bumper, headlights, and “tires”
2A1BAC6D-9002-4013-9251-7CCA47E8FDB2.jpeg
BBBFD3BC-8995-412C-9C5B-17F5F2ED3006.jpeg
F7A8AE04-9925-4C5F-AA97-E80279F7936E.jpeg

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby middle_keeny » Wed May 16, 2018 8:59 am

The picture of the front of the train in the station looks like a stripped down version of what used to be. It looks like they are going to add the ones on the grass at a later time. I do know there's some function to the hood because it houses the unit that oils the track. So possibly the new design will allow maintenance easier access to the oiler.

As for the trunks, they were removed then there was a bunch of issues with the coaster in 2016. I forget the exact reason but I always heard they would be reinstalled eventually.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 16, 2018 9:14 am

^ I remember reading having the hood removed made it easier for the employees to check if the restraints were locked in the back car.
Top 5 Wood- Lightning Rod, Phoenix, Wildfire, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Helix
Most Recent Trip Reports- Adventure City & Knott's Berry Farm

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby LukeFlynn » Wed May 16, 2018 11:20 am

middle_keeny wrote:The picture of the front of the train in the station looks like a stripped down version of what used to be. It looks like they are going to add the ones on the grass at a later time. I do know there's some function to the hood because it houses the unit that oils the track. So possibly the new design will allow maintenance easier access to the oiler.

As for the trunks, they were removed then there was a bunch of issues with the coaster in 2016. I forget the exact reason but I always heard they would be reinstalled eventually.

The lubrication system was moved to the back of the train near the end of summer last year, it's the cylindrical contraption on the back of each train.

The trains look really ghetto without all of the themed decorations, it was already bad enough the trunks were gone. :Pr

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they got all new trains based on the new RMC design as they honestly seem more fit for launching and high speeds, etc.

It's possible they are changing them to reduce weight of the train or something.
Dear God, the Donkeys are invading my life.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Dollywoodlover20 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:43 pm

Well right now the app says the coaster is TC so they could be changing them out right now as we speak. I know they had the whole day yesterday with the park closed as well so we will only be able to tell once a new photo arises or someone on here visits the park. I may be going next weekend. According to weather and crowds. If not next then the weekend of the 3rd.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby dstephe9 » Wed May 16, 2018 5:23 pm

I know from a lot of past interviews, a lot of the original issues had to do with various sensors and items on the trains. Pete mentioned during the first off season they rewired the trains and had planned on putting the trunks back on the trains last season (Trunks have yet to be replaced). I'm sure these new hoods, are the results from all the tweaks they made to the train over the last year or so. I'd also be willing to bet that we might have new trunks headed our way as well.

I bet it's safe to say, the trains are probably working as expected now that they are spending money to add themes back to them or at least repair the themes they took away. or better yet, I bet RMC is covering the retheming of the trains under warranty if the issue was something on their end

I Love Donkeys!

Postby komasixx » Thu May 17, 2018 8:15 am

There are apparently new trunks, new style with painted on wheels. So I have been told.

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby appel » Thu May 17, 2018 12:56 pm

Is there anyone at the park today? Lightning Rod has been down for at least most of the day and yesterday, just curious if the downtime might be related to the new train design?

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby neilnky » Thu May 17, 2018 7:03 pm

I know Dollywood has been growing a lot with the 300 million investment. They now have the DreamMore Resort and spa along with more coasters and shows investments. I have never been to Disney ( I don't get to travel much lol). I have been watching lots of youtube videos and looking at Disney park maps. I can't believe how expensive their rides are wow! I want to ride Splash Mountain so bad!. It cost 75 million when it was built and was their largest investment to date at the time. At any rate, I could go on but my point I want to get to is how do you guys that have been to both compare the two parks. If I am not mistaken, Dollywood is actually larger at 150 acres (soon to be 155 right) where Disneyland will be around 100 after Star Wars Galaxy's Edge is built. I think I read Magic Kingdom was also around 100 acres maybe a little more. Disney seems to have wider walkways as there are trams inside the park. I think I read their train ride is about 1.2 to 1.5 miles while Dollywood's is 2.5 miles. I know Dollywood can't spend 75 to 100 million per ride but when I was at Dollywood several years ago some visitors I was talking to actually preferred Dollywood to Disney. One different thing about Disney it seems I have noticed on all the videos is you don't see roller coaster tracks anywhere. They seem to all be super themed inside a 100 million dollar mountains (Six Dwarves Mine Train, Expedition Everest). Anyway , I have been on this Disney info kick lately and have always loved Dollywood and its history and was just curious to hear c omparison observations from you well traveled folks if you cared to share. I am so proud of Dollywood's progress I was just amazed to find it comprised more acres than Disneyland or Magic Kingdom. I don't see how Disneyland and Magic Kingdom accomodate so many more millions of visitors. Could Dollywood ever be able to do that? Anyway this was all on my mind and I thought I would see what you guys thought. I just can't wait for the new expansion announcement to get all the details. I hope Dollywood can be like Disneyland or Magic Kingdom someday and be a national destination.

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby dstephe9 » Thu May 17, 2018 7:15 pm

I frequent both parks.. Disney does a lot better job on maintenance and upkeep of their rides than Dollywood but if imagine they have a larger budget for it..I mean a lot of Dollywood looks ran down.. their parking lot is in horrible shape and some of their old paths are ugly asphalt..

Disney is also layed out much better to allow tons more guest.. on a slow day Disney has 30+ thousand.. on a record breaking day for Dollywood they have around 30 thousand.. you can move and really enjoy a day at Disney with that amount of people but not so much at Dollywood.. Dollywood is getting better and expanding their pathways..

Also Dollywood is making small improvements here in there to handle the crowds.. it think they listened when some of us were posting bad reviews on here.. they now have signs on trams not being used saying "training" or something like that.. they also had trams lined up my last visit ready to pick up leaving guest.. they also had both sets of ticket windows open on my last few visits..

As for rides, Disney spends a lot more on them and you can tell but Dollywood does a great job on theirs as well!! A lot of the price Disney spends on their rides is due to them being inside.. a lot of the cost of Dollywood rides is due to them litterly having to move a mountain to build them!

Dollywood wants to give Disney a run for their money and they may one day.. they are a long way away from that but still they are growing.. in my opinion, before they grow much more, they need to figure out how to manage the guest better.. like you said, Disney is smaller but much better St managing those guest (but Disney is also flat! No mountains in their way)

Being a fan of Disney I can say that sometimes Dollywood feels like a low budget Disney.. it really does but they still do a great job with their rides, themeing and so on

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!