TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

I don't know for sure as I wasn't there, but knowing this park, they usually run everything at capacity, even when they don't need to. (See: Bizarros constant, usually pointless use of all three trains)

According to queue-times Toro had waits of up to 70 minutes, Nitro 85, etc. Not all surprising considering the absolutely gorgeous weather. Apparently a decent amount of food spots were closed, which is a shame. But the amount of complaining in the GreatAdv FB groups about the dumbest sh*t ever yesterday is absurd ("I don't drink fountain water and they wouldn't let me fill up my souvenir cup with water at a counter after waiting 30 minutes!!!"). Did people really go thinking the place would be dead? LOL!

I had considered going yesterday but ultimately decided it was a bad idea being the first really nice Saturday of the season. Happy with my decision.

Toro’s line was accurate, I watched for a bit before deciding against it and the Kia train was the only train being used.

Nitro had all 3 trains and the line was NEVER 85 minutes, They were pumping trains out like crazy until it broke down. If it never broke down, the 85 minute wait would have been 15 max, but because it went down it was like 30.

^ With only one train 70 minutes for Toro on the first beautiful, sunny, 80 degree day of the season is not unreasonable.

As far the 85 minute on Nitro, I'm just going by the queue-times site, which surprised me. I did hear elsewhere it was up and down all day. But with all three trains Nitro usually eats through that queue with mindblowing efficiency.

^Yeah, bringing me back to opening year when they ran one train for a time. PTSD from those waits and the breakdowns

I literally don't even think it's possible for Nitro to have a long wait because I've waited from halfway into switchbacks during Fright Fest, and we timed it and it was 25 minutes til we got on with 3 trains running

Hey everyone, has anyone been to the Food Truck Festival in the past? I'm meeting friends there on what I thought would be a dead weekend in April, but with the festival I'm worried about lines. Would it be worth it to buy Flash Passes, or to try and go the next weekend?

The park was absolutely SLAMMED today. Insane, worse than Fright Fest. Had a good time, just because I like being in the atmosphere, but if we're basing it off of what we got to do, worse day I've ever had at the park.

Got there around 12-12:30 and left at 7:15. Only got on The Dark Knight and Nitro, once each. Food lines were INSANE. We waited from 2:04 to 3:20 in Yum Yum, with every restaurant having lines overflowing outside of buildings or spilling into midways. Waited 25 minutes just to refill a cup, if we didn't have friends coming separately and they didn't leave, we would have told them to skip it and we would have left.

The only cool/weird thing of the night was getting sunburn and then around 6:30, it went from being like 85 degrees to 55 degrees in like 30 minutes, we left the park shivering.

Really? I was there too from 11 to 4:30 and was able to ride Batman twice, El Toro, Bizarro and Nitro.

Hi everyone, I've never been to a Six Flags before so I apologize for any dumb questions but is Great Adventure open? Their website says they only open April 21st yet I see lots of posts from visits this month already..?

We're going to be in NYC that weekend so I was hoping to visit Fri April 21st, will all the big rides be open? The ones I really want to ride are Kingda Ka, El Toro, Nitro, Superman and Zumanjaro? Should they be running?

If anyone has any tips for first timers, how to make the most of the day since it's our only day we will visit, best place to sit on certain rides, etc.. which order to do them to minimize waits, etc.. please let me know! Also for rides where you have to empty your pockets, is where you put your phone and keys, etc.. very secure?

Thanks!

^ Sweeeet. Now everything really is legal in New Jersey. Six Flags beer jail was the one holdout.

If anyone has any tips for first timers, how to make the most of the day since it's our only day we will visit, best place to sit on certain rides, etc.. which order to do them to minimize waits, etc.. please let me know! Also for rides where you have to empty your pockets, is where you put your phone and keys, etc.. very secure?

Thanks!

If it's your only day, arrive at opening, get a Gold Flash Pass, have fun.

The rides that require you to empty your pockets require you to leave your stuff in a l ocker or with a non-rider, so that's secure. They're floating l ockers; you'll get a code that allows you to access one near the ride you're going on. They were $6 all day last year; if they've raised the price this year, probably not by much. They're big enough you should be able to get all your stuff in one.

Do Kingda Ka and Nitro in the front, Skull Mountain and Nitro in the back, and El Toro one row up from the back (middle row of last car). If you go straight to Toro, there will be little to no wait for the first little bit.

And if you plan on doing Safari Off Road Adventure . . . . get it done early.

I found out last year when I went that it stops running at 4 or 4:30.

As for loose articles . . . . if you have zippered pockets in your pants or jacket, just put your stuff in there.

Yeah they aren't f*ckin around on Ka, Toro and Joker. Zippered pockets are fine and acceptable for everything else, but on the three mentioned rides just pony up the frigging dollar and get a locker. We did it a bunch today, and it was like the Spanish inquisition at the entrance to all three. We developed a system now (after a few beers of course) we just yell "LOCKERS!" while shoving the locker receipt in the greeters face. It works well.

IMAG2704.thumb.jpg.2be2cfc165dfe8333e32d8c3b62ec35f.jpg

Report forthcoming. Featuring lots and lots of beer. Park was jammed but no one was riding anything. Kick ass day.

Yeah they aren't f*ckin around on Ka, Toro and Joker. Zippered pockets are fine and acceptable for everything else, but on the three mentioned rides just pony up the frigging dollar and get a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo. We did it a bunch today, and it was like the Spanish inquisition at the entrance to all three. We developed a system now (after a few beers of course) we just yell "fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo!" while shoving the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo receipt in the greeters face. It works well.

[attachment=0]IMAG2704.jpg[/attachment]

Report forthcoming. Featuring lots and lots of beer. Park was jammed but no one was riding anything. Kick A$$ day.

Sounds like it!

we just yell "fluffy, fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and goo!" while shoving the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo receipt in the greeters face. It works well.

I have this image in my head of you yelling the words "lockers" to a confused employee (as oposed to yelling the word l***ers)

^ Sweeeet. Now everything really is legal in New Jersey. Six Flags beer jail was the one holdout.

Thanks!

If it's your only day, arrive at opening, get a Gold Flash Pass, have fun.

The rides that require you to empty your pockets require you to leave your stuff in a l ocker or with a non-rider, so that's secure. They're floating l ockers; you'll get a code that allows you to access one near the ride you're going on. They were $6 all day last year; if they've raised the price this year, probably not by much. They're big enough you should be able to get all your stuff in one.

Do Kingda Ka and Nitro in the front, Skull Mountain and Nitro in the back, and El Toro one row up from the back (middle row of last car). If you go straight to Toro, there will be little to no wait for the first little bit.

awesome thanks, out of the ones i want to ride, kingda ka, el toro, nitro, superman, and zumanjaro drop.. is there an order to do them? ie on a friday which would have the longest wait times and which would have the shortest? just wondering if there's an order i should try to hit them in to do it all

and is a gold flash pass a necessity to get to ride everything if we only have one day, even on a friday at the end of april?i was hoping not to spend the extra money on daredevil dive and slingshot

^ My recommendation is to start with El Toro since you will want to reride that thing and if you go there first, you can usually reride it several times before a line forms. They also have a nice reride policy where they let you stay on if no one is queuing for your row.

^ My recommendation is to start with El Toro since you will want to reride that thing and if you go there first, you can usually reride it several times before a line forms. They also have a nice reride policy where they let you stay on if no one is queuing for your row.

awesome thanks, so there's really not a lot of lines in the morning? but still worth getting the gold fast pass as someone suggested?

also is there a general consensus on which of these rides is the best: batman the ride, green lantern, bizarro ?

i put them as a lower priority because they all have a lot of inverts and not sure if my wife will be into that, but if all goes well just wondering which 1 or 2 we should prioritize in case there's no time for all 3, would do them at the end of the day.

are there usually lines for the added fee rides like daredevil dive and slingshot or are those good ones to hit while waiting for a fastpass time?

Green Lantern is awful. Just skip it. Batman and Bizarro both kick ass and you should ride both.

If your big concern is El Toro, go there first and enjoy no wait for the first 30-60 minutes. Reride til your hearts content.

However, I think the best advice is to hit Superman first (always has and keeps a line, and the ride is not good enough to warrant waiting more than 15-20 minutes, so if you go there first you may have even less of a wait). Next hit Kingda Ka. Same deal. Ride is so short, not worth waiting more than 20 or so. Then hit Zum cause its right there, but it never has a line so if you want to skip it and come back you could, but why when its right there?

Then hit Toro. Even if the line is through the first set of switchbacks it moves fairly quickly with both trains and a good crew on it. Nitro should be the least of your worries. Even if it says its 60 minutes if all three trains are on they'll crank through that in no time. That rides capacity is fantastic, so you can hit it up whenever and get on in a reasonable time if the line is long.

Speaking of which, the crew on Nitro yesterday was amazing. Bill caught this pic to illustrate to you guys how fast they were sending out trains. It was a sight to see. They were actually waiting for the train to clear the lift block and immediately sending the next one.

nitro.jpg.4aab8853d4487e0f066e030a2dbcb77b.jpg

Just look at that!

Hi everyone, I've never been to a Six Flags before so I apologize for any dumb questions but is Great Adventure open? Their website says they only open April 21st yet I see lots of posts from visits this month already..?

We're going to be in NYC that weekend so I was hoping to visit Fri April 21st, will all the big rides be open? The ones I really want to ride are Kingda Ka, El Toro, Nitro, Superman and Zumanjaro? Should they be running?

Thanks!

Past dates are automatically taken off the calendar, the park has been open for almost a month. It's just their website CMS.

All rides should be open. My main tips are:

- Budget for Flash Pass. You may not need it on a Friday or the park may be slammed. Crowds are unpredictable so budget for it. Yesterday it was a beautiful Saturday and we only waited in two lines all day where the Flash Pass line was beyond the merge point. Had we bought it, it would have actually cost us time just from standing in the line and watching the movie but that was not expected at all. You really never know with this park.

- Ride in the Front of Kingda Ka. The wait will be significantly longer but still... ride in the front of Kingda Ka. A full front row queue is about 20 minutes. It's worth every second.

- Ride in the second to last row of El Toro

- Safari Off Road Adventure is an awesome experience but it's incredibly time consuming so prepare for that. You're still looking at a total experience of 1-2 hours assuming you ride first thing in the morning and it's a walk-on or you have Flash Pass. If you do the standby line and you don't ride first thing in the morning lines will be long.

Listen to others on the best strategies for hitting the park.

Speaking of which, the crew on Nitro yesterday was amazing. Bill caught this pic to illustrate to you guys how fast they were sending out trains. It was a sight to see. They were actually waiting for the train to clear the lift block and immediately sending the next one.

The Nitro crew is aiming for 2 million riders for the year so they should be pumping out trains like this all season long!