TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

I saw somebody on another forum say without ERT for Volcano they might not ride Volcano at all this season. It's a pretty tough sell to wait in an hour plus line for that ride for me as well.

I saw somebody on another forum say without ERT for Volcano they might not ride Volcano at all this season. It's a pretty tough sell to wait in an hour plus line for that ride for me as well.

You can still just get there at opening and get in a couple rides before the line builds up.

You can still just get there at opening and get in a couple rides before the line builds up.

Yup... easily.

Is this the first time Kings Dominion is getting regular morning ERT for pass holders?

Actually, this is the least regular morning ERT KD passholders have had in years (not complaining, just stating a fact). In the past (at least the past year or two as I recall), generally ERT was available almost every operating morning, with Volcano every day and a rotating second coaster (Intimidator on weekends, FoF on Tuesdays, etc.). I haven't heard anything about the FL+ merge point. However, I understand the change given TT's distance from the previous ERT rides, and from experience there was a fair chance that testing (especially with Volcano) would require the park to delay ride openings to regular opening anyway, so this may actually result more ERT on average than that available in the past ( ).

Has there been any news where the Fastlane merge point is going to be on TT?

Not that I'm aware of. I would assume that there will be a new one built, as I believe the old Hurler FL entrance was just the exit given the low ridership. If so, it will probably meet up somewhere with the old queue that is being rebuilt according to photos released.

There's actually still a strategy to beat the Volcano line even if it isn't offered. ERT means that passholders can enter the areas past Int'l Street 30 minutes before opening, meaning after a quick TT ride you can easily shoot over to Safari Village and be the first to queue at Volcano before non-passholders can get there. Not quite "ERT", but you can still take advantage of the ERT time window to guarantee a spot at the front of the line. No need to despair!

Quick planning question, we'll be there the Friday and Saturday at the end of spring break April 6th and 7th. Am I right in assuming above average crowds Friday and a fairly packed park on Saturday?

Friday we'll be coming in from a credit stop at Six Flags America so we won't be there till the evening. Then Saturday all day. Any strategic advice for either day? Any lines tend to die at the end of the night?

Thanks in advance for any advice! Can't wait to get my first coaster rides of the season!

Traffic on a Friday after 5:00 on I-95 South between DC and Kings Dominion is going to be hilariously miserable. Get out of SFA as soon as possible.

LOL we plan on it. Probably gonna get to SFA at about noon and leave at about 3.

Edit* And if we somehow need more time at Six Flags we'll take SR301 to Kings Dominion. Stay off the highway

Yes as somebody who lives in Stafford County right before Fredericksburg you want to not be on 95 as much as possible between the hours of 2pm-7pm between DC and Fredericksburg. It could take 2 hours just to go 30 miles.

Rush hour on Friday starts at noon. You might even consider taking 301, only time I've seen it terrible is Sunday afternoon northbound but it is always tedious and Google tends to underestimate delays more than on the interstates. As Saturdays, my strategy is to not go before twilight on Saturdays. Don't have any more than that because last time I went Saturday daytime was April 2010.

Not that I'm aware of. I would assume that there will be a new one built, as I believe the old Hurler FL entrance was just the exit given the low ridership. If so, it will probably meet up somewhere with the old queue that is being rebuilt according to photos released.

Maybe. Mystic Timbers, Banshee, and Valravn are some of the rides I can think of that were newly constructed and the FL entrance goes right to the ride exit. I think it really helps sell the passes. I haven't seen the pictures you reference, though.

Quick planning question, we'll be there the Friday and Saturday at the end of spring break April 6th and 7th. Am I right in assuming above average crowds Friday and a fairly packed park on Saturday?

Friday we'll be coming in from a credit stop at Six Flags America so we won't be there till the evening. Then Saturday all day. Any strategic advice for either day? Any lines tend to die at the end of the night?

Thanks in advance for any advice! Can't wait to get my first coaster rides of the season!

You might want to double check as SFA's calendar on its website does not show operating hours for Friday April 6. Kind of unusual as they are open 10:30 - 7:00p on Thursday April 5 and 10:30 - 8:00pm on Saturday April 7.

That being said, getting to KD via the Beltway over the Wilson Bridge and on down I-95 on Fridays is terrible and will start backing up before Noon and won't let up until close to 8:00pm. The Friday after Spring Break will be even worse, so plan accordingly!

You might want to double check as SFA's calendar on its website does not show operating hours for Friday April 6. Kind of unusual as they are open 10:30 - 7:00p on Thursday April 5 and 10:30 - 8:00pm on Saturday April 7.

That being said, getting to KD via the Beltway over the Wilson Bridge and on down I-95 on Fridays is terrible and will start backing up before Noon and won't let up until close to 8:00pm. The Friday after Spring Break will be even worse, so plan accordingly!

Crap thanks for the heads up... I guess now we will drive straight to KD from home on Friday and spend the rest of the night and Saturday there then go to Six Flags on Sunday on the way home.

Has anyone ever stayed at the centerstone inn located right next to the park? I will be at KD Monday April 2 and that's the night of the national championship game. So I'm looking for a nice comfortable room to watch the game in after I visit the park.

Has anyone ever stayed at the centerstone inn located right next to the park? I will be at KD Monday April 2 and that's the night of the national championship game. So I'm looking for a nice comfortable room to watch the game in after I visit the park.

Yep. Nothing special but nothing terrible either. You can't beat the location though... it's nice to be able to walk from your room right to the front gate. I'm going to be staying there again next week when I go down for TT's opening.

I know everyone would rather see it scraped, but does anyone else think Anaconda’s old black paint job should return. I personally don’t like when two coasters of similar colors are right next to each other, not a big issue though lol.

I always thought that black color scheme looked horrific.

Agreed

I don't care it's green with pink polka dots--nothing will help Anaconda.

^^^^^ This. I say tear it down and put in something EPIC. Anaconda may have a cult following/favoritism, but it just sucks (in my opinion). I'd rather see them take it down and get something better like an RMC T-Rex or a launched winged coaster even! that's a big space and they could definitely put something major over that lake. That's just my thoughts though.