Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 612: "The Year of Shows & Festivals" details announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 6 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:42 pm

jynx242 wrote:Thanks for the trip report! It just looked cold (especially to a southerner like me.)

I also heartily approve of your music tastes - any report that starts with the Cure and includes New Order makes me smile in my tragic and misunderstood little heart :lol: ;)

So cold. This is unseasonable for us. Usually we have highs in the 40s and lows in the 20s, so we get that lovely black ice. This event would have been a big hit if it weren't so ridiculously cold. Fortunately, they've already published next year's schedule and they do intend to do it again and stay open through 1/1/19. Hopefully there's better weather next year at this time.

boldikus wrote:Haha brilliant work, Andrew. Thanks for sharing. =)

Thanks! Given our shared musical interests, I'm sure you found it entertaining.

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:01 am

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/Silver-Dollar-City-rings-in-new-year-with-2017-attendance-record-467731443.html

Silver Dollar City ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings in new year with 2017 attendance record

Posted: Tue 3:22 PM, Jan 02, 2018

NEAR BRANSON, Mo. (News Release) -- With national headlines focusing on Silver Dollar City’s festivals, features and the Year of Food and Crafts, the 1880s-style theme park in Branson, Missouri hit record attendance in 2017, topping 2.1 million guests (actual total 2,115,522) and setting a record for the highest attendance in the park’s 58-year history. The 2017 wrap-up is some 42,000 people over the previous year.

Visitors to An Old Time Christmas also hit record numbers, surpassing 500,000 guests in the two-month period of November-December for the first time. The growth was spurred by the addition of Christmas In Midtown and national accolades including the #1 ranking in the USA Today/10 Best poll for Best Theme Park Holiday Event.

Postby prozach626 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:32 pm

That's great that no major attraction was opened last year, yet the park still broke their record. That says a lot that word of mouth and positive experiences from customer service focused strategy can peak attendance all on its own. Although I'm sure the buzz behind Time Traveler partially contributed to that, even if the attraction had not yet opened. Here's to hoping that record is broken again next year.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 pm

They spent a lot on the new Christmas stuff though - that was basically the new attraction for this year.

It is great to see the park really taking off again though. They have been bursting at the seams and actually losing customers because of how busy they've been during Christmas and how overcrowded it has been. The new coaster next year will really set things over the edge. They need more parking, a bigger entrance, wider walkways, etc...

I have a feeling a Dollywood-esque period of investments and expansions is near. Maybe not $300 million worth over a decade, but I expect a resort announcement any year now. I don't know if we discussed it already here or not, but a huge new water park resort has been proposed just down the road from SDC. They are losing out on opportunities here if they don't spend some money to increase SDC's capacity and get started on more resort amenities.

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby EliHorton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Wait? New water park? That's great! I have not really ever liked White Water that much. It had such terrible capacity so that nearly every slide had at least a forty-five minute wait. Is it possible that the new water park would be built where Celebration City used to be? It'd be great if Herschend started doing some major investing into SDC within these next couple years! I wonder if the opening of Heritage USA (reopened Dogpatch USA) in 2020 will at all affect how Herschend invests into SDC?

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Jaykethekid » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:43 am

I would be extremely supportive of an on property resort for SDC. The cabins and campgrounds are cool and all, but the distance from the park and the community bathrooms completely turn me off. I just think the idea of a highly themed on site resort would be a win win situation.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/a119863cb40d603ccb6f817858d7c1d5.jpg[/img][/url]

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:48 am

Pretty sure Shavethewhales is talking about Wild Bear Falls, which is a Great Wolf type place, not a full outdoor waterpark.

http://www.ky3.com/content/news/New-water-park-planned-for-Branson--433932163.html

BTW, the news articles I'm linking to are from Springfield's NBC affiliate, so these are legit.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby ElvisLuv » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:01 am

Shavethewhales wrote:They spent a lot on the new Christmas stuff though - that was basically the new attraction for this year.

It is great to see the park really taking off again though. They have been bursting at the seams and actually losing customers because of how busy they've been during Christmas and how overcrowded it has been. The new coaster next year will really set things over the edge. They need more parking, a bigger entrance, wider walkways, etc...

I have a feeling a Dollywood-esque period of investments and expansions is near. Maybe not $300 million worth over a decade, but I expect a resort announcement any year now. I don't know if we discussed it already here or not, but a huge new water park resort has been proposed just down the road from SDC. They are losing out on opportunities here if they don't spend some money to increase SDC's capacity and get started on more resort amenities.

An on site resort with indoor water area and a vastly improved Whitewater or new water park adjacent to SDC would get them over 3 million in short order. I firmly believe that SDC should never play second fiddle to Dollywood but be an equal. The more NWA and Springfield grows, the base will continue to expand. FolKS in Northwest Arkansas basically considers it the local park and everyone goes.

Let's see if the rumored non SDC affiliated 100,00 Sq ft indoor water park resort actually gets built. Branson has lacked the Kalahari, Great Wolf, Wilderness in the Smokies scale of that type of resort.

Postby prozach626 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:14 pm

Screw the indoor water park part. I'd rather the resort be more like DW's Resort. From what I can tell, it appears to have an adult feel, but plenty to entertain children.

But either way it would be a win.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby Shavethewhales » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:35 pm

This was the one I was thinking of: http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_0c806d5a-e4f1-11e7-967f-6fc1bd93f9ff.html

Actually there have been several new indoor water parks, but most of them have been glorified indoor pools. This resort is actually pretty sizable with $422 million worth of development. I don't think the new water park will be huge, but it sounds like it will be big enough to be called a real water park.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!