TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Knott's Berry Farm (KBF) Discussion Thread

P. 651: Montezooma's Revenge project terminated?

I'm not going to say too much on the matter, because I don't want to "out" people who received information that may be considered "privileged", but I will just

gdfZMAG.gif

I'm not going to say too much on the matter, because I don't want to "out" people

If you see 'em call 'em out!

O...K....

Just ignore the actual substantive content of my post and make jokes... That IS the TPR way, after all!

So here's the thing...

You generally know what you're talking about. Normally if I saw a post like that I'd immediately write it off as speculative bullsh*t but given the fact that it's coming from you I think it could be plausible. Still though, even you yourself state that it's "second-hand information, from second-hand information" so there's not really much to talk about here. Even if what you're saying is accurate, it's going to start a whirlwind of bullsh*t (which isn't your fault) and we're joking about the sh*tstorm that's sure to follow. I wouldn't be at all surprised if what you just posted ends up on Pointbuzz, Screamscape and a million other websites by tomorrow (all from people who claim to have their own inside scoop which will give the illusion that there are tons of sources rather than just one).

Once people hear it enough and repeat it enough enthusiasts will decide it must be 100% true and they'll then proceed to come up with tons of other bullsh*t to go along with it that'll also be repeated so much that it's eventually accepted as fact even if they're just making sh*t up. Sure, you warned that it's "second-hand information, from second-hand information" but that will get lost over time. We're not really commenting on you, we're commenting on the sh*tstorm that's sure to follow.

As for what you said, it's hard for me to comment on. I have no idea if it's true and the only people I know who work at Cedar Point are good employees that wouldn't leak that kind of stuff anyway so I couldn't confirm it even if I wanted to. It might be true... and since it's coming from you I'm not writing it off completely, but in the end we have no idea and I really don't want to comment on something I know nothing about and then look like a dumbass if the ride is open on Friday night. That's my perspective on it. I know nothing about it and therefore have nothing to add. Our posts are directed at the way people are going to react to your post, not your post itself.

^Yes... Upon further reflection, and looking at it from the BIG PICTURE you mentioned there, I am thinking that I should have probably not even posted what I did in the first place... I wasn't intending to stir up a big internet-wide enthusiast controversy, just address the topic on hand, but you're right... Given the nature of the beast, it likely will get out of hand, all things considered... lol

You generally know what you're talking about. Normally if I saw a post like that I'd immediately write it off as speculative bullsh*t but given the fact that it's coming from you I think it could be plausible. Still though, even you yourself state that it's "second-hand information, from second-hand information" so there's not really much to talk about here. Even if what you're saying is accurate, it's going to start a whirlwind of bullsh*t (which isn't your fault) and we're joking about the sh*tstorm that's sure to follow.

Our posts are directed at the way people are going to react to your post, not your post itself.

Our posts are directed at the way people are going to react to your post, not your post itself.

Yeah, and upon reflection, I realize that now, looking back at it! I can even laugh at it myself! I was actually just dealing with some sh*t back here when I first saw those posts too, and let it bleed into my initial response a little as well, so apologies for that... I need to leave my personal life at the door when I come to TPR, just like they say about work!

So this was just on my mind today. We all know that Knott's is a small park strapped for space. Unlike many parks they don't have "unlimited" room to expand. Occasionally they have to remove something in order to make way for something new and fresh. So my question is this, which attraction do you honestly think is the next to get the axe at some point down the line? I know it won't be anytime soon as they have a lot on their plate right now. But eventually they will do something. What do you think that will be? Or should be?

For my pick I don't think it will be a ride at all. I believe the next attraction to go will be 'Mystery Lodge'. Granted it's not taking up a large space, only about 21,000 square feet (not counting the rocks, waterfall and lake area), but Knott's has been pretty creative in the past with utilizing small spaces for major new attractions. 'Seirra Sidewinder' is about 20,000 square feet and 'Coast Rider' is 14,000 square feet. Personally though I'd like to see them keep the building and use it for a dark ride. 'Iron Reef' is just about the exact same size. Just please don't do another 3-D interactive piece of crap. But even a small coaster would be great in that spot.

I also think 'Iron Reef' should get a revamp to remove the 3-D aspect. That is the number one complaint I most hear about the ride. It just gives most people a headache. Also remove some of the screens and instead add in a few animatronics. Make it more like 'Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters' at Disneyland. But that's just me.

What about you?

I'm not going to say too much on the matter, because I don't want to "out" people who received information that may be considered "privileged", but I will just add here that this situation with CF, Intamin, and the accelerator coasters may actually be a lot more on the "dire" end of the spectrum, than most of you, or any enthusiasts realize. After a conversation I had last weekend with friend, who is in regular contact with - we'll just call them "people who would know", to avoid publicly outing my friend - at CP regarding the situation with TTD, it's become more of a political matter with Intamin. In other words, the coaster could actually run again, but Intamin isn't signing off on it, as they want CP to buy their newest model of catch car (which is quite pricey). I don't know if there is a similar situation going on with Xcellerator, but I'm beginning to think that the rumored "bad blood" between Intamin and CP isn't just a rumor after all, because it definitely seems like Intamin is trying to hold a gun to their head, and force them to spend a ton on money on these coasters they don't want to spend, to "fix" them, and get them operating again. Kind of a "Oh, you won't buy our coasters anymore? Well, we'll find other ways to force you to spend money with us!"

Again, I don't know much beyond this, and it's second-hand information, from second-hand information. But I DO trust the person who told me explicitly, and he is somebody that I know has had established relations at CP for over a decade now. So this isn't just "dippin' dots guy" hearsay... Bottom line? We could see TTD open again by the end of the year, if CP gets their way. But if they are not permitted to by Intamin for some reason (I don't understand how these things work I guess... Can a manufacturer actually prevent a park from opening a coaster that otherwise can run???), according to my friend, this mess could stretch out into next season and beyond even. And I can't help but wonder if this applies to Xcellerator as well...

Well, TTD reopened today, so....

Assuming this is true, I read that as Intamin updated the design of the catch car to improve what they saw as a design/safety issue and Cedar Fair isn't happy that version is more expensive. Which would make sense, since it looked like whatever the catch car did caused a lot of damage and needed to be corrected. But design/fabrication of a specialized part isn't cheap. Cedar Fair doesn't have a say in the matter, as running a ride without manufacturer approved parts would be negligence on their part and illegal in states that do have amusement ride laws on the books (they all say something along the lines of "follow all the manufacturer guidelines").

Edited by Jew

For my pick I don't think it will be a ride at all. I believe the next attraction to go will be 'Mystery Lodge'. Granted it's not taking up a large space, only about 21,000 square feet (not counting the rocks, waterfall and lake area), but Knott's has been pretty creative in the past with utilizing small spaces for major new attractions. 'Seirra Sidewinder' is about 20,000 square feet and 'Coast Rider' is 14,000 square feet.

What I am most interested in is how you figured out the square footage of the coasters. Is this from a source you got somewhere on the internet, or is this something you've been able to figure out on your own?

As for the Top Thrill opening so soon, I am impressed. And hopefully that will bring Xcelerator up to date as well and opened sooner rather than later.

It makes sense that Intamin would improve their hydraulic launch designs 10+ years after being installed, there's a lot more to know now than there was back then, and I don't know why Cedar Fair would have an issue implementing those improvements to keep their highly invested attractions open.

How much could it actually cost? 100K, maybe 250K? There's a lot surrounding the 2 hydraulic launched Intamins at Knott's and Cedar Point with not that much "reliable" information concerning the recent improvements that I've come upon.

What I would like to see Knott's do is turn Mystery Lodge in to a flying theater. Pier 39 up in San Francisco as a variation on it (Triotech ?), I think for the space that Mystery Lodge is in, it would work well. They could even rotate the films as the name Mystery Lodge can apply to quite a bit of movies.

Scary Farm was good, although I think they may want to look into bringing some more interesting design elements into some of the mazes. Some of them it didn't seem like the scare actors had much room to work with. Trick or Treat with the flashlights works really, really well.

Thanks for insight on Xcell. Very interesting.

For my pick I don't think it will be a ride at all. I believe the next attraction to go will be 'Mystery Lodge'. Granted it's not taking up a large space, only about 21,000 square feet (not counting the rocks, waterfall and lake area), but Knott's has been pretty creative in the past with utilizing small spaces for major new attractions. 'Seirra Sidewinder' is about 20,000 square feet and 'Coast Rider' is 14,000 square feet.

What I am most interested in is how you figured out the square footage of the coasters. Is this from a source you got somewhere on the internet, or is this something you've been able to figure out on your own?

Simple arithmetic, my dear DoubleDown. Simple arthritic. My measurements are approximate of course, not exact, but still pretty close. Google Earth has a ruler feature. If you click on 'polygon' you can draw triangle shape around whatever you want and choose "square footage" and it will give you the square footage inside the triangle. Of course that only works on something roughly triangle shaped, such as Sierra Sidewinder or Coast Rider. I haven't yet figured out if there is 'rectangle' feature so instead I just use the ruler to measure the length and the width. For example Xcelerator sits completely within a rectangle shaped box so you measure the length and multiply that by by the width and you get approximately 82,000 square feet. A ride like Silver Bullet is much more difficult. You have to use a combination of rectangles and polygons and add them all together and I've just been too lazy to do that.

I got closer to 15,000 square feet.

Screenshot001.jpg.031e0ec066ad3e12e3e4eb883ee48583.jpg

WestCoasterKing got me thinking, and I know that Knott's 100th Anniversary is coming up, and I had a cool idea. What if Knott's brought in Sally Corp to do a Knott's Berry Tales remake in the Boardwalk Ballroom? It'd be an amazing throwback to such an amazing attraction, all the older folks would come to reride such a classic attraction, and Knott's has finally realized that to compete with Disney, they need unique Dark Rides!! What do y'all think?!

After you click on the polygon tool, you just keep clicking where you want corners, only clicking back at the first point when you're done.

Dude that is awesome! I think we all learned something new today I never knew about that on Google maps but thanks so much for sharing!

WestCoasterKing got me thinking, and I know that Knott's 100th Anniversary is coming up, and I had a cool idea. What if Knott's brought in Sally Corp to do a Knott's Berry Tales remake in the Boardwalk Ballroom? It'd be an amazing throwback to such an amazing attraction, all the older folks would come to reride such a classic attraction, and Knott's has finally realized that to compete with Disney, they need unique Dark Rides!! What do y'all think?!

A kind of cool idea, but I dunno, I miss Beary Tales, but I have to admit, I'm an adult now...and me going through something like that...well, at this point....I've let it go lol. I'd rather they do a Soap Box remake.

Dude that is awesome! I think we all learned something new today I never knew about that on Google maps but thanks so much for sharing!

A kind of cool idea, but I dunno, I miss Beary Tales, but I have to admit, I'm an adult now...and me going through something like that...well, at this point....I've let it go lol. I'd rather they do a Soap Box remake.

Ooo yeah. A new updated LSM slot car style versions. Using an old park map that showed WSBR and using the polygon measuring tool on Google Earth, I approximate they would need around 60,000 square feet for an exact replica layout. I wouldn't expect an exact replica of course. I'm just using that as a reference. That would make it a pretty big project, landwise. I can only see them doing if they ever expand into the south parking lot.

On a separate note. Are the spinning swings, swinging ship and Hat Dance in still all that popular? I don't know if it's just the season I typically visit (December) but I don't see that many people ever riding. That corner of Fiesta Village is around 25,000 square feet. They could fit a nice little coaster in that spot.

Lastly, if - and this is a big if let me tell you, Sol Spin doesn't make it, what else can they do with that spot?

I'm not going to say too much on the matter, because I don't want to "out" people who received information that may be considered "privileged", but I will just add here that this situation with CF, Intamin, and the accelerator coasters may actually be a lot more on the "dire" end of the spectrum, than most of you, or any enthusiasts realize. After a conversation I had last weekend with friend, who is in regular contact with - we'll just call them "people who would know", to avoid publicly outing my friend - at CP regarding the situation with TTD, it's become more of a political matter with Intamin. In other words, the coaster could actually run again, but Intamin isn't signing off on it, as they want CP to buy their newest model of catch car (which is quite pricey). I don't know if there is a similar situation going on with Xcellerator, but I'm beginning to think that the rumored "bad blood" between Intamin and CP isn't just a rumor after all, because it definitely seems like Intamin is trying to hold a gun to their head, and force them to spend a ton on money on these coasters they don't want to spend, to "fix" them, and get them operating again. Kind of a "Oh, you won't buy our coasters anymore? Well, we'll find other ways to force you to spend money with us!"

Again, I don't know much beyond this, and it's second-hand information, from second-hand information. But I DO trust the person who told me explicitly, and he is somebody that I know has had established relations at CP for over a decade now. So this isn't just "dippin' dots guy" hearsay... Bottom line? We could see TTD open again by the end of the year, if CP gets their way. But if they are not permitted to by Intamin for some reason (I don't understand how these things work I guess... Can a manufacturer actually prevent a park from opening a coaster that otherwise can run???), according to my friend, this mess could stretch out into next season and beyond even. And I can't help but wonder if this applies to Xcellerator as well...

Well, TTD reopened today, so....

Assuming this is true, I read that as Intamin updated the design of the catch car to improve what they saw as a design/safety issue and Cedar Fair isn't happy that version is more expensive. Which would make sense, since it looked like whatever the catch car did caused a lot of damage and needed to be corrected. But design/fabrication of a specialized part isn't cheap. Cedar Fair doesn't have a say in the matter, as running a ride without manufacturer approved parts would be negligence on their part and illegal in states that do have amusement ride laws on the books (they all say something along the lines of "follow all the manufacturer guidelines").

This is in line with what I heard. And I also heard CP was considering opening it regardless, which it looks like they did. So bravo to them, I say! Hopefully Xcellerator can open up soon as well!