Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports Land

DAY TWO of Phoenix Phall Phunfest posted!
Users viewing this topic: ratdogg68 and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Coasterbill's Alcohol, Coaster and Culture Trip Reports

Postby RollingCoasting » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:56 pm

coasterbill wrote: Unfortunately when we got in to town we needed to grab something to eat so we had to drive around the town a little bit and it was definitely as advertised. Our first thought was White Castle, but as we pulled in we saw a group of 10-15 people beating the sh*t out of eachother in the parking lot so we made a quick 180 and kept driving (quickly, possibly running a red light on purpose on the way out).

Welcome to the south side of Chicago! :lmao: :lol: :lmao:

Great report so far. Looking forward to part 2
Top 5: 1. Hades 360 2. Raging Bull 3. Goliath(GAm) 4. Mr. Freeze:Reverse Blast(STL) 5.Batman: The Ride(GAm)

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby 9Armgeddon4 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:54 pm

Awesome report so far. I'm looking forward to part 2 as well. I can't wait to hear what your thoughts were of the log flumes.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby anonymouscactus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:32 pm

God damnit Bill... you and the damn cliffhangers again! -- ++refreshes thread endlessly++ --

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Ooh, south suburbs? Yeah, if you were around Tinley Park, that's cool, but if you stayed in one of the cheap A$$ places in Homewood, or god help you Hammond, then I'm just glad you survived.

Glad you liked Great America! X-Flight really is awesome. All 4 of the wing coasters are fantastic and completely underrated by enthusiasts. Fortunately, those "GP" know how awesome they are because they all get good ridership. Personally, I like them better than flyers.

Next time you come to Chicago, because you're going to want to come back because it's an awesome city, the farther north and west you go, the better. Also, the Loop area downtown is good, but I know you'll never pay for that. Under no circumstances should you ever stay in the city west of I-90 or south of the science museum. I have family in Schaumburg, Elk Grove, and Glenview, and all those are nice suburbs.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby coasterbill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:or god help you Hammond, then I'm just glad you survived.

Yeah, it was Hammond. :lol:

I ponied up the cash for the Comfort Suites wedged back right off the exit away from everything and honestly I'd stay there again but just driving around looking for fast food before we got to the hotel was a terrifying experience.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I have family in Schaumburg, Elk Grove, and Glenview, and all those are nice suburbs.

Yeah our hotel after we left Great America was in Arlington Heights (right next to Elk Grove I believe) and it was really nice. I'd definitely stay there again.

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby anonymouscactus » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Decided to make a SFGAM / local haunts trip (though it sounds like the haunts will be better after the actual haunts!)... I've never stayed at a Clarion Inn or been in this area before... am I going to regret this decision in a few weeks? There is a $47 econo-lodge next door that is scary... I do have a cancelable rate if I should find somewhere else, lol...

Would Lansing be any better? There is a sleep inn there... otherwise I may end up staying way in Joliet as one of the haunts we may go to is out that way.

EDIT: So it looks like I'm probably staying at the Quality Inn/Suites South in Joliet. It's closer to the two haunts we will be going to and we'll just end up driving longer the next day rather than squeezing in more driving at night to get closer to our next destination. Thanks for the tips!
Last edited by anonymouscactus on Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:40 pm.

Postby coasterbill » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:41 pm

anonymouscactus wrote:Decided to make a last minute SFGAM / local haunts trip... I've never stayed at a Clarion Inn or been in this area before... am I going to regret this decision in a few weeks? I have a cancelable rate, lol...

I almost booked the Quality Inn off that same exit but decided to go with the Hammond Comfort Inn a few exits away since it looked safer thanks to the back parking lot. I was really close to booking something right there. It looks fine on Street View but I balked at the last minute. If you don't die, definitely let us know. :lol:

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:54 pm

coasterbill wrote:
ytterbiumanalyst wrote:or god help you Hammond, then I'm just glad you survived.

Yeah, it was Hammond. :lol:

I ponied up the cash for the Comfort Suites wedged back right off the exit away from everything and honestly I'd stay there again but just driving around looking for fast food before we got to the hotel was a terrifying experience.

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:I have family in Schaumburg, Elk Grove, and Glenview, and all those are nice suburbs.

Yeah our hotel after we left Great America was in Arlington Heights (right next to Elk Grove I believe) and it was really nice. I'd definitely stay there again.

Well, I survived the Philly Badlands, so I can't judge. :lol: Arlington Heights is fine. Basically all those northwestern suburbs, you're good.

anonymouscactus wrote:EDIT: So it looks like I'm probably staying at the Quality Inn/Suites South in Joliet. It's closer to the two haunts we will be going to and we'll just end up driving longer the next day rather than squeezing in more driving at night to get closer to our next destination. Thanks for the tips!

GOOD MOVE. All those other places you mentioned, you're asking for trouble. Joliet's okay. Not a ritzy area, but generally safe.
Top Wood: 1. The Outlaw Run 2. The Phoenix 3. The El Toro 4. The Voyage 5. The Beast
Top Steel: 1. The Millennium Force 2. The Skyrush 3. The Magnum XL-200 4. The Diamondback 5. The Maverick
Top Parks: 1. The Disneyland 2. The Dollywood 3. The Silver Dollar City 4. The Knoebels 5. The Holiday World

Postby Canobie Coaster » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:12 pm

Great start to the report! I was amazed by how nice Great America was.

I have to disagree on X-Flight. It was fun, but I thought it was the weakest of the wing coasters. I did love the keyholes on it though.
Top 5 Wood- Phoenix, Boulder Dash, Wildfire, Balder, El Toro
Top 5 Steel- Expedition GeForce, Iron Rattler, Fury 325, Twisted Colossus, Shambhala
Top 5 Parks- Europa Park, Cedar Point, Disneyland, Phantasialand, Knoebels

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby ALT2870 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:01 am

coasterbill wrote:A few minutes later our train rolled in to the unmistakable rhythmic clapping noise of a B&M wing coaster train pulling in to the station (what makes that noise by the way? I love it.).

Don't quote me on it but from my observations it is for the restraints. If you look carefully near the drive wheel area you'll see some bronze metal contacts. (Kinda of like battery contacts.) They must be spring loaded as the press down as a car goes over them making the sound. You can really only see them when the train rolls in.

The reason I say this is because one of our coasters works on the same principal. The contact touches the car and when a charge is provided, it releases the restraints. Hopefully that answers your question.

Edit: Was able to find a video and snag a pic:

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!