TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

[sFOT has not actually got the least out of SFGAm, SFOG, SFFT, SFOT group lately IMO. I would say SFOG got the least. SFOG has no Discovery or 4D and are just now likely getting a RMC, something SFOT got long ago. Not to mention SFOT avoided the super loop, which SFOG didn't.

SFoG may be getting their first major coaster project in 7 years! As good as this news is, the fact still remains SFoG has been skipped over all these years for a coaster project; hence the nickname "The Roller Coaster Museum of the South". There are only 11 coasters here, not to mention a height restriction due to a nearby airport, something SFoT does not have to deal with. As much as I like my home park OG, I have always told others that SFoT is much better, plus it is the original SF park. It is certainly worth the 12-hour trip from Atlanta - we do it every year! The Titan and NTAG will always be favorites in my book.

SFOT has received many major attractions over the last few years so I don't understand the complaints. They've overall received a bit more and for the most part larger additions.

I love both parks. I probably love SFOG a bit more but they are probably the best two parks in the chain.

I amuse part of the reason SFOG hasn't received a coaster in so long is because they desperately needed flat rides and more family attractions. They have plenty now. Also, the park has been able to ride off the success of Goliath for a decade and it is still very highly sought after by the general public. I'm honestly surprised the park even got Dare Devil Dive considering the draw Goliath was still holding among thrill seekers.

SFOT has received many major attractions over the last few years so I don't understand the complaints.

yep..

I'll never understand those that can't just enjoy a park for what it is, and have to bitch and moan.

in the past couple of years, SFoT got: Justice League dark ride, Joker Coaster, Riddler pendulum, and Catwoman next gen enterprise.

not to mention the beautifully realized Gotham City area improved with these additions, an the perfect retheme in Harley's Spinsanity.

go back a year before, and Texas Skyscreamer.

the park has Shockwave, NTAG, and a bunch of other coasters.

go enjoy, and stop complaining.

sheesh.

SFOT has received many major attractions over the last few years so I don't understand the complaints.

yep..

I'll never understand those that can't just enjoy a park for what it is, and have to bitch and moan.

in the past couple of years, SFoT got: Justice League dark ride, Joker Coaster, Riddler pendulum, and Catwoman next gen enterprise.

not to mention the beautifully realized Gotham City area improved with these additions, an the perfect retheme in Harley's Spinsanity.

sheesh.

I totally agree. People need to be thankful that they get to go to amusement parks while some people are living on the streets with no home and starving... it's sad that some people complain that their park never gets anything new when their park is spending $10 M+ on new additions every year.

yep..

sheesh.

The expanded Gotham City really does look great (at least from pictures as I have yet to see it in person)

OK, I post on this site to discuss theme parks and roller coasters. I am thankful for the life I have and the ability to enjoy Six Flags over Texas, and yes, I do think it's a good park, just not great.

It should be ok to talk about your disappointments as well as praises on this site. I tried to incite a discussion on how we feel about the park's recent additions, as well as the rest of the Six Flags parks, because I want to understand better why things are the way they are.

There are some objective reasons, although I admit, mostly subjective emotional ones on why I posted a rant initially. If I'm honest, I wish we didn't have a lackluster hyper and that we saved for one more great coaster instead of the new Gotham area, which is a concrete jungle, by the way. It's not beautiful, it's just new. The parts of the park that are beautiful are the Texas, France, Mexico, and Old South sections, of which I am very thankful for, because it's a rarity in the chain apparently. I won't go on complaining any longer. Thanks.

OK, I post on this site to discuss theme parks and roller coasters. I am thankful for the life I have and the ability to enjoy Six Flags over Texas, and yes, I do think it's a good park, just not great.

It should be ok to talk about your disappointments as well as praises on this site. I tried to incite a discussion on how we feel about the park's recent additions, as well as the rest of the Six Flags parks, because I want to understand better why things are the way they are.

There are some objective reasons, although I admit, mostly subjective emotional ones on why I posted a rant initially. If I'm honest, I wish we didn't have a lackluster hyper and that we saved for one more great coaster instead of the new Gotham area, which is a concrete jungle, by the way. It's not beautiful, it's just new. The parts of the park that are beautiful are the Texas, France, Mexico, and Old South sections, of which I am very thankful for, because it's a rarity in the chain apparently. I won't go on complaining any longer. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with expressing disappointment. I believe many of us were spoiled 15 years ago when prior Six Flags management was spending money hand over fist adding amazing new coasters and rides to every park. Unfortunately that was reckless and nearly sank the chain. Fast forward 15 years we are slowly (emphasis on s-l-o-w) seeing the SF chain pick up some steam again after many lackluster years. SFoT actually added some good rides during the reconstruction years; SFoG actually lost a coaster (Deja Vu) added Thomas Town, and remodeled Monster Mansion dark ride. With Goliath stealing the spotlight, OG took several years off from adding anything major. Other than Dare Devil Dive, our last new coaster was 2006! That is why the buzz over a possible RMC has everyone excited. But - I will still visit OT every year because it is a really nice park, rich in history and perhaps doing the best job in the chain keeping Angus Wynne's vision alive.

IMO I think the park is over due for a Hurricane Harbor expansion. They also need to roll out the tram system to and from HH to SFOT as parking at the water park is sparse for the amount of guests that go.

In addition I think the Sling Shot will still be added to the New Gotham, Villians Village, area along with either a small kiddie ride and or additional shops and eateries.

yep..

sheesh.

Totally agree! I live in Maryland and most enthusiast bash Six Flags America. I know its not the best and the clientele that go there are questionable but I have been able to find the good in it. The customer service has done a 180 in the past 5 years, they keep it clean, and we have a water park that is included unlike this park.

IMO I think the park is over due for a Hurricane Harbor expansion. They also need to roll out the tram system to and from HH to SFOT as parking at the water park is sparse for the amount of guests that go.

In addition I think the Sling Shot will still be added to the New Gotham, Villians Village, area along with either a small kiddie ride and or additional shops and eateries.

I agree. Why this park does not have a tram system between the parks is beyond me. I drove past the water park when I was down there a few weeks ago and it looks nice, but its not included with our Six Flags America season pass so we opted for NRH2O and totally loved it! Its a much cheaper option and they have RC cola hehe - My favorite!

That's awesome! I wonder why they decided to spend so frivolously on a theming element?

I don't think that's theming, just lights for the new on ride cameras seeing that they're positioned not on the outside of the train, but on the backs of seats right where the cameras are.

I'll be able to check the park out on a Sunday thanks to a work trip. I noticed a few of the coasters (Runaway Mountain, Judge Roy Scream, and Runaway Mine Train) aren't on the Flash Pass. Should I hit those ones early or do they never really generate long lines?

Thanks, I will try and get to Runaway Mountain early then. I've never been on one of those Windstorm coasters, so it'll be interesting having the first one enclosed.

I prefer it in the evening, since the light doesn't shine into the building via cracks near as much, and it enhances the ride.

my rule of thumb is always La Vibora (bobsleds) 1st. . . it's fun, and the line is always super long (and slow moving). . so hit that 1st thing in the park. (But I haven't been since they redid Gotham and added Riddler, Catwoman or Joker.. so maybe most folks go that way, and not to the left for the bobsled)

Those rides are on the Flash Pass. Since I have no clue when I'll ever be back at the park, I definitely plan to get one since I want to maximize rides on the New Texas Giant and not have to worry about all the credits.

Visited the park yesterday and like Fiesta Texas, it's definitely in the top tier of Six Flags parks. They have a great coaster collection and have maintained some charm that's missing from other Six Flags parks.

New Texas Giant was fantastic. While not quite as extreme as the other RMCs in terms of the individual elements, the ride was still more intense than 95% of the coasters out there and had a longer ride time than the other RMCs. I'd rank it 3rd out of the 6 RMCs I've been on (behind Iron Rattler & Twisted Colossus).

Has anyone else had the problem I had on Mr. Freeze? I have never had any back problems and can endure rough wooden coasters in the back. But for some reason on all 3 of my rides on Mr. Freeze, my lower back hurt on the transitions at the bottom of the spike and inverted top hat. I absolutely loved the ride outside of that issue, which I found weird because the ride was smooth.

Visited the park yesterday and like Fiesta Texas, it's definitely in the top tier of Six Flags parks. They have a great coaster collection and have maintained some charm that's missing from other Six Flags parks.

I've noticed that the main SF parks that still retain this charm are the three original parks, SFOT, SFOG, SFStL, which were all built from the ground up.