TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

You can wear everyday clothes into the waterpark, but how are you going to change into DRY everyday clothes when you leave? I hate seeing inconsiderate people riding coasters, or any ride, while still completely wet, leaving smelly and wet puddles for the rest of us to sit in. I once saw a few people at Holiday World that looked like they walked right off the street into Slashin Safari. Shoes, socks and all! I could not wait to follow them down the slide and bath in their sock water. I wish Holiday world would be more strict on these matters to be honest.

I regularly wear a Rash Gaurd shirt that is light, yet offers UV protection. I used to burn my shoulders all the time and now I never do. They also attach to your shorts to give some added back comfort on body slides and they don't affect your slide performance like cotton shirts can.

You can wear everyday clothes into the waterpark, but how are you going to change into DRY everyday clothes when you leave? I hate seeing inconsiderate people riding coasters, or any ride, while still completely wet, leaving smelly and wet puddles for the rest of us to sit in. I once saw a few people at Holiday World that looked like they walked right off the street into Slashin Safari. Shoes, socks and all! I could not wait to follow them down the slide and bath in their sock water. I wish Holiday world would be more strict on these matters to be honest.

I regularly wear a Rash Gaurd shirt that is light, yet offers UV protection. I used to burn my shoulders all the time and now I never do. They also attach to your shorts to give some added back comfort on body slides and they don't affect your slide performance like cotton shirts can.

It's more that I don't want to be forced to wear a bathing suit into the park. I'll probably end up wearing athletic shorts and underarmor type top (which dries quickly) or a rash guard and have a change in the car as well if it doesn't dry quickly.

People bemoan that Holiday World is losing its original charm and then complain that they don't sell alcohol or fastpasses. Interesting...

Both can be true. If the park is getting modern attractions with corresponding long lines or other corporate changes; they can always add booze and fast passes to make the wait easier for some people. I can see why some parks don't want to for moral reasons but not everyone is going to want to visit if there is a park with bars or beer gardens.

People bemoan that Holiday World is losing its original charm and then complain that they don't sell alcohol or fastpasses. Interesting...

Both can be true. If the park is getting modern attractions with corresponding long lines or other corporate changes; they can always add booze and fast passes to make the wait easier for some people. I can see why some parks don't want to for moral reasons but not everyone is going to want to visit if there is an alternate park choice with bars or beer gardens.

It's more that I don't want to be forced to wear a bathing suit into the park. I'll probably end up wearing athletic shorts and underarmor type top (which dries quickly) or a rash guard and have a change in the car as well if it doesn't dry quickly.

Should be no problem. Have fun! Wildebeest and Mammoth are both incredible slides. Check out Zoombabwe if you get the chance. It's the most ridiculous raft slide I've ever been on. Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

Arguably, Mammoth is the most ridiculous raft slide I've ever been on! But in a traditional sense, that slide feels like it lasts fooooorever! Definitely a good one, along with the Hyena Falls halfpipe slide which is worth the hike to get away from most of the crowds for a bit.

^ Should be no problem. Have fun! Wildebeest and Mammoth are both incredible slides. Check out Zoombabwe if you get the chance. It's the most ridiculous raft slide I've ever been on.

Oh man. Zoombabwe does not get enough love.

A few years back some friends and I rode and had one of the most insane waterslide rides ever. We were going so fast, hitting insane banks on every turn, and everyone kept falling into the middle of the raft. It was intense and awesome. We ran back up to do it again and the attendant told us our group was over the weight limit and we'd have to split up. Apparently the first attendant missed it, but man it made for a wild ride.

Safety first, of course. Sorry, Paula.

Today was actually a very lovely day to visit the park up until about 4:30ish when everything went down for lightning/storms. I don't think I've ever been on a day when it was 85 plus and Mammoth was a walk-on for like first 2 hours the waterpark was open. Lines were short on practically everything.

The Voyage was running fantastic early and the trim was barely grabbing at all. I didn't get to ride in the evening to see if it was grabbing harder after it warmed up.

For me, Legend 2.0 is definitely a front seat ride now. I know much was made the work that GCI did on the back half that tamed the laterals from the previous design, but my god, that ride still has enough stupid crazy laterals to make up for it.

We left before the park closed, but I'm assuming nothing ever got to open back up since there were severe storms throughout the whole area. Me and my group of friends sat around The Voyage for like 45 mins watching the radar on our phones and Santa Claus was surrounded with developing storms, but all of them were going around the town. Don't get me wrong, I understand why the park had to shutdown rides with lightning near by, but rides were literally down for an hour before it even rained.

We had our first ever visit to the park today and had an awesome time despite the oppressive heat and late day storms.

There's a trip report to follow, but I wanted to pop in and say that I was really impressed with this place. It's a cute little park and the staff is absolutely tremendous. I didn't know what to expect from the wood coasters since I've heard mixed reviews on all of them but they were all enjoyable rides. Raven was on the rougher side but it was fun, Legend was also on the rougher side on the second half but it was a solid coaster and Voyage was smooth, fast and insane. That ride blew us away.

As for Thunderbird, we had no doubt that thing would be a winner and it didn't let us down. That first barrel roll is superb.

In addition to the coasters we also got on Liberty Launch (holy airtime), The Flume (which was a great little flume by the way) and Gobbler Getaway which we rode more than anything in the park... first because it was the only thing open in the storm and second because Brit kept losing and kept demanding rematches. Lol

Ps: That restaurant in the Thanksgiving section is amazing.

Voyage was smooth, fast and insane. That ride blew us away.

It's nice hearing it described this way, rather than being called "rough". I mean, yeah, it's the most intense coaster I've ever been on - by a large margin - but that doesn't automatically equal rough! Like you said, the other two woodies there are more in the "rough" category. Voyage is just freaking "insane" like you said, and awesome! Glad you enjoyed it as well!

The Flume (which was a great little flume by the way)

Here's where you decide you don't like me though... I don't believe I've ever ridden their flume! Tell you what... I'll make a special point to do so next time I'm there!

Again, I'm glad you enjoyed your time there, in spite of the poor weather at the end, and I look forward to your TR!

and Gobbler Getaway which we rode more than anything in the park... first because it was the only thing open in the storm and second because Brit kept losing and kept demanding rematches. Lol

I agree with your whole post (Glad you liked Voyage; it's one of my favourites), but I wanted to point out this section especially. Gobbler Getaway is an underrated ride. So much fun, and ridiculous as only Holiday World can be. I rode that a lot last time I was there, more than Legend IIRC. I'm going back next week, and the things I'm most excited about? Voyage, Gobbler Getaway, and Plymouth Rock Cafe.

It's nice hearing it described this way, rather than being called "rough". I mean, yeah, it's the most intense coaster I've ever been on - by a large margin - but that doesn't automatically equal rough! Like you said, the other two woodies there are more in the "rough" category. Voyage is just freaking "insane" like you said, and awesome! Glad you enjoyed it as well!

Yeah, I was entirely perplexed by the reviews of Voyage. Honestly I wasn't even excited for Voyage given the reviews it gets, I never expected it to be so smooth and so great. Raven and Legend both have intense laterals that honestly become a bit excessive and take away from the ride experience since that seat divider is so uncomfortable. I still liked them but I preferred Voyage by a wide margin. The turns are much better designed, the layout is great and it has nice airtime. It was the best and smoothest wood coaster in the park by a mile.

I will say this, we only got one ride on it. We actually only rode each coaster once (aside from Thunderbird where we tried each wing in the front). We had planned to come back and ride Legend and Voyage again and then marathon Thunderbird but we were dicking around on the Flume and liberty launch, then taking time over lunch when the storms rolled in. I have no complaints though, it was a great day.

Here's where you decide you don't like me though... I don't believe I've ever ridden their flume! Tell you what... I'll make a special point to do so next time I'm there!

It was so absurdly hot that we really didn't want to walk back up the hill once we were at the bottom and I assume that's the mentality of a lot of people once they're in the mood for water rides and (likely) in Splashin Safari. I'm glad we walked up the hill though, it's a nice Flume. It doesn't get you all that wet but it has a great little tunnel, goes through the Legend and they actually chlorinate the water. It's always nice to see that.

I'll remember that for tomorrow. Any food item in particular I should get?

I get the feeling that you can't go wrong. I got the brisket and Brit got the pulled pork and they were both excellent. Basically you pick a main entree and 3 sides (or 2 if it's a premium entree like brisket but it's the same price, just with one less side). I highly recommend the sweet potato casserole as one of the sides.

I've been waiting for your opinion on Voyage because I was curious how you would respond. I'm glad you enjoyed the park! It really is a unique place and has a great collection of rides. Too bad you only got one ride on it. I know the park isn't open late during the regular season but night rides on Voyage are absolutely insane (not as pitch black as it used to be with the expansion of the water park and Thunderbird) but once that thing is warmed up and it becomes hard to see what's coming up, it's just ridiculously stupid. My first ever ride opening year in the dark was just an experience I will never forget. Thanks for sharing your initial thoughts, and yes, Plymouth Rock Cafe is awesome.

Just makes me more excited for my trip in a couple days.

Edit: also, I know you might not be a water park person, but between the 2 water coasters and zoombabwe, all world class IMO, they really are worth the time and effort to ride. My fiance absolutely hates waterparks, thinks they are no fun and absolutely disgusting vial places, but Splashin' Safari is the first she has ever really enjoyed and made it all worth it.

I would like to go back eventually and try Voyage in the front seat at night, but yeah, count us as ones that were not fans of it. Granted we only rode it once after spending most of the day in the water park. Like coasterbill's visit, it was so oppressively hot & humid that I only did one lap on each coaster, did the flume and the swings before we called it quits and headed out.

Maybe we rode on a wheel seat on Voyage or something, but our ride was extremely brutal - like pretty close to Son Of Beast brutal. I believe that they have done track work since our last visit a few years ago so it sounds like that may have helped it out.

Interesting that Raven was one of the rougher coasters as that was the smoothest one that I rode out of the three. I figured that it might have been due to the fact that I waited for the front seat though.

I think the flume being tucked away a little is why I've missed it before, because I actually really like old school flume rides. I'll definitely be sure to make the effort to check it out next time I'm there.

I also recommend going back to get many more rides on Voyage, and get some crazy awesome night rides on it, because it really comes alive then! I know you're not big on enthusiast events, Bill (for good reason!), but I do recommend checking out Holiwood Nights sometime, as it's a fantastic event, and more than worth the money, and the ERT is bonkers! That's how I've been able to marathon Voyage at night to my heart's content, and they have a lot of other fun things thrown in, too! Again, glad you had a good time! I'm looking forward to hearing how your day at KK is going today!

Night rides on Raven are pretty amazing as well. Holiwood Nights is a fantastic event, if only for the nighttime ERT on the four coasters, which are all excellent at night. But there's a lot of cool stuff in addition to just the nighttime ERT.

Night rides on Raven are pretty amazing as well. Holiwood Nights is a fantastic event, if only for the nighttime ERT on the four coasters, which are all excellent at night. But there's a lot of cool stuff in addition to just the nighttime ERT.

The bolded is very true, even if I found the ride rougher than I expected, for one people raved (no pun intended) about so much beforehand! And yes, everything he said is true. Holiwood Nights is simply an amazing enthusiast event all around. I've never been to Coastermania, and frankly, have no real desire to go, as a lifelong Cedar Point attendee. But Holiwood Nights? Every few years, it's a must do! Next year, I'm taking my kids, for sure!

Geez, I love Voyage. With trim brake on or off, doesn't matter. It's still like 4 world-class coasters rolled into one. Seats #1 and #11 are the smoothest while providing great forces. #12 would be next in line... but on wheels you do feel stuff a little more.

Legend is still my favorite at the park. Even after the first drop had it's pop removed (a-la CI Cyclone and anything else GCI touch). I do miss the 4-corners-of-maximum-slammage as well, but the changes there were nice. Not better, just different and fun. I hope GCI stays far away from the ride in the future.

You guys are making me excited for my trip tomorrow! We were going to go today, but the forecast looked better for tomorrow.

This may seem like a dumb question to a lot of you, but I'm still fairly new to the whole smartphone thing. If I buy tickets online, do they have to be printed to get into the park or can I get in by just my smartphone? I've never done it that way before

I'm going to have to reevaluate Voyage if I ever make a trip back out there. I rode it several times in 2013 and couldn't really decide how I felt about it. I loved the first half, but the second half ended up being too much for me. It is the only roller coaster that literally (yes, literally - I know how to use that word properly) knocked the wind out of me. It's too long for me; I kept wishing it would just end by the end of each lap. Raven is the perfect amount of intense for me because while it does throw you around, it has the decency of having a relatively normal track length. Maybe I'll feel differently the next time I visit, but we'll see.

^ I agree...the 2nd half of Voyage was really bad for us too.

I have to assume based on what people have said on here that we must have ended up on a wheeled row and it's my fault for not insisting that we sit in the front row!

But they were only running one train to where it felt like you could take a nap in between ride cycles - and with the heat, we just wanted to get on as quickly as possible so I think that we ended up somewhere in the 4th or 5th row.

Not a lot of people in line, but the ones that were, all seemed to be waiting for the front seat - guess they knew what they were doing.