TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Is anyone visiting opening day? It's sorta been a tradition for me the past few years. Unfortunately, I'm dog-sitting next weekend (2 dogs, though they're both family being my parents' and sister's dogs). But I can get someone to look out for them Saturday and I've got the itch. Convince me!

I have seen lodes of trains rolling around on the web cam. Is the park open?

They're training new employees and testing the rides.

Today was Friends & Family day at the park. All the full time

Staff members received tickets to give to their friends & family for today's invite only event for a select bunch of rides from 1pm-6pm. The coasters open today were Raptor, Gatekeeper, Valravn, Millennium Force, Iron Dragon, Dragster & Maverick. However I don't think dragster opened at all today because trains kept rolling back. The park also has Camp Snoopy, Lake Erie Eagles, Monster, & I believe Kiddy Kiddy kingdom was open too.

Hey everyone, just a quick question regarding Cedar Point Shores. If the water park doesn't open until 5/27, do they still allow guests to park in the back behind Gemini even if CPS isn't open?

I will be there on Friday 5/19 and would like to use the new resort gate by Magnum.

tried to call CP yesterday, but there was no one there to take a call.

Thanks in advance!

^^ We've parked back there when Soak City wasn't open and it was nice because there were hardly any vehicles. With the new entrance and modified lot, you may want to call before you drive back there - although I really don't think it should be an issue.

Anyway...back to CP. Now that I live in Greater Detroit (don't feel sorry for me, it was by choice) I have Platinum Passes for me and my family. Is CP on opening weekend a dumb idea?

CG

Depends how much time you've spent at the park before. For me living within a few hours drive and going 3-4 weekends a year for many years now, I love to go but I hate opening weekend. Crowds are sometimes huge, weather is unpredictable, and staffing is low. Historically they don't have a bunch of rides up and going, half the food stands are closed up, and as much as I look forward to going to the park, it usually feels...subpar?

I'm planning to head there for the second week of ops (they need all the time they can get) and then again in perhaps late June. By then everything is generally clicking and going well and will be through into the second week or so of August.

I have been to CP 2 or 3 times in May, usually not long after the park is open (but never opening weekend) and everything has always been open, seemed staffed enough and all ran fine. Now could just be my experience, but I do reckon by June all will be fine

As for opening weekend, I've not been but I can't imagine its the best idea since there's likely to be a burst of people like any park. If possible just wait a week or two?

I'm a BIG fan of going to CP in May, multiple times even! However, going Opening Day is generally not advisable, for the reasons stated by others. Mid-week in May is generally an awesome time to go to CP! I'm going May 25 this year for my first trip, as Thursdays in May seem to be particularly low attendance days. The first couple of weeks in June also shouldn't be too bad for crowds, especially mid-week. And no, you will NOT need Fast Pass any of those days!

Knowing that at this point, almost any rain shuts down 3/4 of the rides and wind does the same, I wouldn't waste my time going if the weather doesn't look anything other than "generally perfect".

Yeah, unless I lived within an hour or so of the park and could go as often as I wanted I'd avoid potentially rainy days like the plague. Even when we plan our holiday weekend trips we never book anything until it's a few days out and the weather looks to be (for the most part) sunny with winds in the single digits.

Cedar Point weather will change rapidly. Going on a day with a threatening forecast can pay off, especially if rain isn't supposed to arrive until later. My second day there last year was like that (thunderstorms in the forecast; they did show up not long after I left). In less than three hours, I got on many of the E-ticket equivalent rides (Millennium, Maverick, Magnum, Dragster, GateKeeper, Raptor, Rougarou)