TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags New England (SFNE) Discussion Thread

I find it interesting that SF sold the other two GIB in the chain to parks outside the chain, but retained this one. Honestly, I don't think that was the best idea after all.

Since we are on the topic of boomerangs... has anybody found that the one at Darien Lake to be amazingly smooth?

Yeah, it's definitely one of the smoothest. If all Boomerangs rode like that one, I think more people would like them. If I remember correctly, I think Flashback was about middle of the road out of all the Boomerangs I have been on.

I wonder if SF would ever consider replacing Goliath with a Mack Power Splash seeing that the Dubai park will be getting one.

I agree Darien's Boomerang is smooth. The ones at Lake Compounce and Great Escape are also very smooth.

Flashback is good, but it's pretty redundant with Goliath there. I still do like Goliath and somehow don't find the ride uncomfortable, so hopefully they get it up and running quickly.

I agree Darien's Boomerang is smooth. The ones at Lake Compounce and Great Escape are also very smooth.

Flashback is good, but it's pretty redundant with Goliath there. I still do like Goliath and somehow don't find the ride uncomfortable, so hopefully they get it up and running quickly.

Conversely I think Goliath is redundant with Flashback here. Hopefully they give up on that piece of crap soon and replace it with something worthwhile. Bonus points if it actually fits the theme of the area but now I'm probably asking for too much

Conversely I think Goliath is redundant with Flashback here. Hopefully they give up on that piece of crap soon and replace it with something worthwhile. Bonus points if it actually fits the theme of the area but now I'm probably asking for too much

It's twice as redundant considering they already had an SLC too... Goliath is essentially a hybrid of the two previously worst coasters there. It's actually hilarious.

Also, I visited the park for the first time in 5 years... my god those operations suck... and GET RID OF VR!!

Here is my trip report from Tuesday last week, which was supposed to be rainy. It did not actually rain, allowing the lines to be shorter. However, I won't waste any time with a lengthy introduction, so let's get right into it!

Houdini's Great Escape - x1

Spooky fun for the whole family! I went on with my friend and our mothers, but it was cheesy as usual and lacking those extra exciting moments it should have. I think that it would be much better with a crowd of new riders than a tiny group who have ridden before! - :|

Tomahawk - x1

I actually kept my eyes closed the whole ride because I really don't find this very thrilling anymore, as fun as it is. I like that they got new restraints from Texas, but I guess they wanted to change the ride program, too. The result is a less thrilling experience... Usually it would rock back and forth, start spinning one way and get up high, continue, switch directions, and later stop. The new one spins you low to the ground in one direction, and then changes directions and goes up high like that for the rest of the ride. You don't get any variety in the ride like it had last year. I also skipped Rock n' Rodeo (the new, secret, unadvertised Taxi Jam) because it wasn't amazing last time and there was actually no one in line (not a good thing). - :elissa:

Goliath - x1

This ride was scary and somewhat painful like I remember it. It was actually my second time on, because usually I'll skip it because of the line or because it's closed (which is the case a lot of the time I go)! I still experience the seat digging into the backs of my legs, and I may have not had headbanging, but I still had a headache from the vibration afterward! - :(

Pandemonium - x1

This was a fun ride, though the line moved slowly even for the small group of people there. I spent most of the time observing the mechanical parts and supports rather than the ride (for making accurate Gerstlauer spinners in NL2), but I still knew it was very forceful and thrilling! - :b

SkyScreamer - x2

I find it ironic that the name is SkyScreamer yet I've never heard anyone scream on it before! Like my school music teacher once said during the season it opened, "It's not very thrilling, but it's more like a scenic ride". I also liked how they had the speakers working all the way up the tower and also how they actually fade on and off as it goes up and down the tower! - :kiss:

Blizzard River - x1

You barely get wet on this ride, but people are still praying not to get wet when they go on! I happened to get my back wet from a passing waterfall, but unfortunately the raft still completely evades a waterfall during the ride. The water jets that were once working don't appear to be there anymore, and the indoor parts have water working better on some sides than others. I honestly love the theme of the ride, and I would love to see this renovated and even themed to The Penguin himself (because it might as well be with all the penguins and Penguin brand crates everywhere)! - :)

Thunderbolt - x1

I believe that this is a hidden jem, though still rough! I got the bar slammed into my chest on some of the hills, and the track shaping was extremely inconsistent... I still love it anyway! - :b

Catwoman's Whip - x1

We went on this for the LOLs, so we weren't expecting much - ;)

Buzzsaw - x2

The middle rows are the way to go, it is important that you should know, that a seat in the back is a free heart attack, and your stomach will probably thank yo (later) - :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Batman the Dark Night - x2

We got front the first time (I asked for it, like usual), and I enjoyed it as usual. I feel the need to hold my head back as far as possible on this ride, because I definitely know that I would have headbanging if I didn't. We went on it a second time in an assigned row (middle to back), and on the brake run I was fortunate to see the transfer track control panel, and that excites me because I see it in NL2 and know how it works, and I love looking at technical things on coasters! - :kiss:

Wicked Cylcone - x3!

This ride kicks butt all day and all night! We were fortunate enough to have a walk on the first time (with front row!), a short wait for near the middle, and a slightly longer one for the second to back! I think that the back is the best place to sit because the airtime is insane and you can just see the train twisting ahead... also, the jet fighter roar is gone, and there were no noticeable vibrations, which is good or bad depending on how you look at it - :airtime: :airtime:

Superman (Virtual Reality) - x2!

I was actually blown away the first time I rode, and even the second time (though not as much then)! The first time I rode by myself and my friend waited with me. The second time I was able to convince him to go on after a long wait filled with questions and self doubt :lmao: Like I expected, he loved it, and is excited to ride it again soon.

Spoilers of the Experience Below!

They immediately hand you a headset and direct you to a row, and have you strap on the headset. After the phone camera (yes, there's a phone in there...) scans the nifty little QR code on the back if the seat in front of you, a city appears in front of you, and you see you are sitting in a hovering tour vehicle. I was actually wearing my Superman shirt that day, and when in looked down at myself, in saw my virtual self wearing a Batman shirt, which made my literally laugh out loud! Anyway, the train leaves the station, and you see Lex Luthor and his Lexbots hovering in front of you, and they break the vehicle open. Lex Luthor uses his anti gravity gun, and you see things start to float in front of you, mainly a man hanging out of a police car. He suddenly falls (and the riders gasp), but Superman swoops in and catches him, and brings him away. Lex comes back with his gun, but this time Superman flies to him and destroys it with his laser beam eyes! Then, everything begins to fall out of the sky, and slowly you crest over the lift. You immediately plummet down to the ground of the city as an oil tanker falls in front if you, and you honestly feel like you are falling a longer distance than usual. Superman comes to the rescue again, and grabs your vehicle and pulls it through the explosion ahead (the tunnel with mist simulates the cloud), and you then rise up and are pulled up and down through the city blocks! You continue this throughout the ride, and at the end Superman brutally throws the giant Daily Globe at Lex and battles him for the last time. The ride hits the brakes, and you see Supes holding Lex in front of you, and then he flies away to the theme song. What an experience!

I thought the whole ride was amazing with the virtual reality, and like others have said, you almost forget the layout and the heights are exaggerated to a point where you are actually scared for a bit! Complaints about the ride: the lift speakers should be turned so they face the riders as they ascend, and it shook a good bit in spots like right after the overbank and the turn into the spaghetti bowl. The second time I was on, the staff was too busy to help us to our seats, and the lenses on mine where very blurry. The straps also were mildly uncomfortable, and dispatch times were painfully slow. Those are the main things I would fix if I were them.

Final rating - :b :lover: :airtimer: :?r

Fireball - x5!!!

Last but not least, the brand new flat! I fell in love with this ride! I had fun each time I was on, and the random sequence chosen by the operator helped that. I think it was a good move to install these at all the parks, and I would be happy to ride one if I came across one sometime! The halftime sensation was incredible! I personally like the middle or end seats on it, as you get the best hangtime there. One silly complaint... the logo shows a coaster track! - :lover:

Overall I had an amazing trip, and I will be back again soon! - :b :br :b

Edited by PixelRush

^Once again, it disappoints me at how this park could be great if there were better operations. You really need it to be empty, but it is possible to have a very good experience. When I went on back-to-back days last year, one day was insanely stormy, empty and awesome, but the next was crowded and the rides kept closing because of a storm miles away Glad you had a great trip, though!

Everytime I've been to this park I've been a little underwhelmed with the dry side. I feel like I can ususally do most of the park in a half day, and that included riding the average rides (ME, Flasback, GCGEAA). And a lot of it just looks neglected or kind of gross.

The waterpark however is top notch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, everyone!

Any news about Goliath? I know the cable snapped a few weeks ago but does anybody have news about its replacement? I am planning to visit the park on August 8th or 9th for the first time and I was wondering if it would be open.

Since I will be in the area on the 8th and 9th (also planning to hit Lake Compounce), what would be the best day to go to each park? At SFNE, what rides should I ride first to maximize my day?

If any locals are interested in meeting at any of those parks, send me a PM! It'd be great to share some coaster riding!

I haven't heard any solid eta's for Goliath yet but I know the park is working on it. As far as rides to hit definitely Superman first just due to the dispatch times with VR. I'd try it with and without if you can. The rest of the park will be much less of a wait. Sky Screamer does take a while just due to capacity.

Was at the park on Saturday.. regarding goliath, it appears that on the first tower there is a missing platform that is on the other tower, which was most likely damaged when the cable snapped. I cant exactly remember if both towers had a platform in the same place but I would assume so, and it looked the the beams there were missing screws that would be attached to something else. No indication on when it will be reopening. Going to highly doubt it will be open for you trip but I hope so.

As far as Superman goes, I intended on getting to the back as it open and hitting up superman right away to avoid waiting two hours, but with traffic we got in through security at 11 and by the time I got to Superman it was already at a two hour wait. Go right away, or wait til the last hour of the night. It appears they shut off the VR an hour before close and the operations start running normally again, dispatching every 2.5 - 3 minutes or so. As long as your not dying to try the VR, I would suggest waiting until the end of the day if you are planning on being there all day. VR is a nifty little gimmick, but that's all it is; a gimmick. The ride is amazing as it is. And a night time ride is well worth it.

If you are not first in line for Superman, don't bother unless you want to wait hours for VR. I went last Wednesday and the line was ridiculous the entire day but from 8:15 to closing I got three rides so I would wait until 8pm to get in line. They were often dispatching trains before the other one hit the brakes after 8pm. Of course they were still assigning seats after 8pm too and were corralling everyone into the gates like we were sheep. Also it is pretty much impossible to get front row on Cyclone and Superman because they let flash pass people in first so you have a better chance at winning the lottery than a front row ride if you are a regular guest.

According to SFNE Online starting today VR is only going to be offered between 1 to 8 pm each day now.

Methinks somebody saw the smart way Cedar Point was handling VR and was like "Hey! Why didn't WE think of that?!"