TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I will agree that if Premier either manages or owns the park next year, I woud expect to continue the one wet ride and one dry/flat ride.

Also, I was at the park saturday as well, and Twister was running in the morning/early afternoon. My son and I were in line for the antique cars and he and I were talking about riding it when he is tall enough. It is a good sign that it was running after being down most of the season.

A few weeks ago I talked to one of my sources that is a supervisor in the waterpark and she said that hooks lagoon was supposed to be demolished last season and replaced with a new version, but something fell through and they decided to build Brain drain instead. Then I was told this season since the barrel so old and rusty they were supposed to add a water cannon up top where it was, but that never happened either. so maybe this coming season we'll see a new improved hooks Lagoon or at least something in place of the old bucket? I really hope for this park sick that CNL relieves itself of any attachment to this park and premiere or whoever holds all the reigns.

A few weeks ago I talked to one of my sources that is a supervisor in the waterpark and she said that hooks lagoon was supposed to be demolished last season and replaced with a new version, but something fell through and they decided to build Brain drain instead. Then I was told this season since the barrel so old and rusty they were supposed to add a water cannon up top where it was, but that never happened either. so maybe this coming season we'll see a new improved hooks Lagoon or at least something in place of the old bucket? I really hope for this park sick that CNL relieves itself of any attachment to this park and premiere or whoever holds all the reigns.

Why couldn't they have replace Hook's Lagoon this past season in addition to adding the Brain Drain slides and Rolling Thunder?

It could have been a variety of reasons, but most likely because of construction scheduling, and cost. A lot of money has been going into infrastructure, paint, and ride refurbs/repairs in the last few years. It would make more sense to spend a little bit of money on attractions each year, and a little bit on park upgrades. I think there's a very good chance the park will focus on families next season if a water playground and some sort of family flat is added.

Why couldn't they have replace Hook's Lagoon this past season in addition to adding the Brain Drain slides and Rolling Thunder?

Don't know the exact reason things got cancelled (twice) but when I worked at the park it seemed like management changes their minds frequently. Cost most likely a big reason. Hooks is old, that whole area being re done would be expensive. The shallow pool would have to come out and underneath hooks there is s basement with pumps that would have to be replaced. Just a lot of time and money.

So I'm assuming now we're in a holding position waiting for any management news? Where should I be looking to find out more on this? Would CNL have something on their website? Or is there some legal page I should be browsing?

Well CNL did say earlier in the year that they sold 3 parks, but only Elitch Gardens announced the sale. Basically two other parks will be announcing soon. Last year we knew by Halloween, and I would expect similar this year. CNL needs a bit of time to clear out and close things up for the year.

My guess is that DL is one of those parks that was sold, and the new owner is the one paying for the painting of ME and the new trains for ROS and ME as well. Now it is a matter of when the announcement happens, and who is the new owner.

I'm actually pretty surprised we haven't heard anything yet. Perhaps the sale is being handled behind the scenes in more earnest than it appears, but who knows what is going on. It seems like if a major chain was behind the purchase, they would want the sale to be finalized before now so that they have time to get their affairs in order for 2016. I get the sense that not much is changing - the park could very well end up in the hands of a similar but different investment group with management by Premier.

I guess I should stop holding my breath...

IMO I really wasn't impressed with Premier as everyone else appeared to be. I thought they were better at advertising but not as impressed with there customer service end and the day to day operations. I was there the first day and was there the last day and many in between and enjoyed when HFE ran it much more. Seemed like the employees were not kept in the loop on many details and got different answers to the same questions repeatedly. Again just my opinion on Darien Lake 2015.

I definitely think that 2014 turned me away from Herschend a lot. Overall operations were horrible that year. The only new addition was the Nik Wallenda show, no attempt was made for two train ops, and they didn't even attempt to spruce up any paint, landscaping, or other infrastructure.

I get they likely knew that they were on their way out that year, but they didn't control the budget. They definitely could have pushed

CNL for at least something. Whereas Premier comes in this year, and right away, they announce two new attractions, painting and infrastructure were improved, and they started pushing for two train ops.

Those things are big plusses in my books. Herschend did a great job, don't get me wrong, but Premier is proving to be a big challenger for them.

The one thing that always puzzled me about Darien Lake is the Silver Bullet. I know that in the 80's Huss used Darien to showcase their rides. Why didn't they wind up with a Huss enterprise vs the Silver Bullet by Heitz Fritz. I researched that brand. It was the only enterprise type ride that they built. Anyone know the answer?

The one thing that always puzzled me about Darien Lake is the Silver Bullet. I know that in the 80's Huss used Darien to showcase their rides. Why didn't they wind up with a Huss enterprise vs the Silver Bullet by Heitz Fritz. I researched that brand. It was the only enterprise type ride that they built. Anyone know the answer?

I don't know either, but if you ask me I think Darien Lake should have gone with a Huss Enterprise ride instead of one made by Heintz Fahtze!

I do understand about both enterprise and haymaker as well. They may have tried a similar deal with Fahtz they did with Huss

On the topic of Premier vs HFE, I am not giving credit to Premier on the current painting situation. I think HFE added more to the park, and actually made major improvements overall. Yes, Premier added two good rides, but they only added to very small areas. When HFE added rides, they re-worked entire areas of the park with new pavement and everything. I also cannot fault them for the overall operations as they did not hold the budget. I think if they had their way operations would be way better than Premier.

As good as this years additions were, they were cheap and very cookie cutter, which is exactly what Premier has done forever.

I don't know either, but if you ask me I think Darien Lake should have gone with a Huss Enterprise ride instead of one made by Heintz Fahtze!

Being the only one of its kind... Must be hard to get parts for it when it breaks down.. It has a lower capacity with only 16 cars vs 24, and I am sure that it doesn't lift as high as it used to. I am sure it went the full 90 degrees..

Being the only one of its kind... Must be hard to get parts for it when it breaks down.. It has a lower capacity with only 16 cars vs 24, and I am sure that it doesn't lift as high as it used to. I am sure it went the full 90 degrees..

Ive noticed that the Skycoaster doesnt go up the full 180 ft anymore either.

Most rides that lift up (Enterprises, UFOs, etc) don't go up the full 90 degrees anymore, it just isn't a Darien thing. The reason for it is that it puts less stress on the motors and it has a lot to do with safety too.

I guess Lake Monster is out of the question now. I just wonder how close they were to actually modifying Predator, or was it just speculation, including the name, what do you think?

Also, does any one know the answer to this? Did Haunted Catacombs move? I thought it was 'just down the road' from Darien Lake, and now it seems closer to Walden Galleria which is not really close to DL. I want to go to Haunted Catacombs but I need to know if I am going to have to do some extra driving. I'm leaving from Toronto.

I guess Lake Monster is out of the question now. I just wonder how close they were to actually modifying Predator, or was it just speculation, including the name, what do you think?

CNL still owns the park, and we all know what that means. It's likely still a proposed idea, but it won't happen till somebody willing to invest buys the park.

Also, does any one know the answer to this? Did Haunted Catacombs move? I thought it was 'just down the road' from Darien Lake, and now it seems closer to Walden Galleria which is not really close to DL. I want to go to Haunted Catacombs but I need to know if I am going to have to do some extra driving. I'm leaving from Toronto.

Well the Galleria is closer to Toronto than DL. Its on Union Rd in an old Circuit City

My guess is that Lake Monster was a deal between HFE and RMC and those plans left when HFE left. If anyone remembers when SF owned the park, they said they had 4 coasters already designed for specific areas of the park, it was just a matter of time and money as to when they were built. My guess is that those plans were not handed over to CNL/PARC at the time of sale. This is a prime example of why ownership continuity is good for the park. I'm sure SF spent decent money to get those coasters designed and not building them is like throwing money in the trash.

I think our only hope for Lake Monster may be to see HFE return as the park owners.

I wouldn't say that's necessarily true. We might not get the exact design that Herschend planned for if they don't purchase the park, but Predator does have issues and it will require work soon. As it is aging more and more, not only is the track getting rougher, but the structure is in need of a lot of work too. If Herschend doesn't end up getting the park, whoever does will have to have a plan for Predator, whether it be RMC, GCI, or any other coaster company that does woodies.

I think I would be happy even if the current layout is preserved and redone with Topper Track. Predator would be a pretty highly praised coaster if it were smoother.

They may referring to a different Haunted Catacombs. The one in Cheektowaga has been there for years. Fright World has moved this year up to North Tonawanda and Your Final Fears did not return but have promised to be back next year.

I am a former final fear employee. They didn't open because they couldn't find a space to rent in time. It hasn't been the same since we left the fairgrounds. Final fear is owned by just a husband and wife, it's really a mom and pop thing but you can expect us to come back better than ever next year and hopefully we can strike a deal with the fairgrounds.

They may referring to a different Haunted Catacombs. The one in Cheektowaga has been there for years. Fright World has moved this year up to North Tonawanda and Your Final Fears did not return but have promised to be back next year.

I am a former final fear employee. They didn't open because they couldn't find a space to rent in time. It hasn't been the same since we left the fairgrounds. Final fear is owned by just a husband and wife, it's really a mom and pop thing but you can expect us to come back better than ever next year and hopefully we can strike a deal with the fairgrounds.

I always preferred Final Fear when it was at the Fairgrounds. I wish them luck. What I'd really like to see return are the Barns of Doom and haunted hayride that were located across McKinley Parkway from the fairgrounds. Those were quite well done and rather unique.