TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Well, Wicked Twister went back down by the time I got to it, BUT it was running with people on it today.

Is Skyhawk running? I thought someone had posted some pages earlier that it was closed and had a large crane next to it but I haven't read anything since then. I'll be there in a week and a half and am looking forward to riding it again.

Well, Wicked Twister went back down by the time I got to it, BUT it was running with people on it today.

Is Skyhawk running? I thought someone had posted some pages earlier that it was closed and had a large crane next to it but I haven't read anything since then. I'll be there in a week and a half and am looking forward to riding it again.

Yes!! Skyhawk was open! I got to ride it Wednesday. It's so fun!

BTW, I did end up getting to ride Wicked Twister as well yesterday a couple of hours before the park closed. This was a great trip!!

Yes!! Skyhawk was open! I got to ride it Wednesday. It's so fun!

BTW, I did end up getting to ride Wicked Twister as well yesterday a couple of hours before the park closed. This was a great trip!!

Thank you! I'm really looking forward to it!

I was at CP with a couple friends yesterday. It was my first time back after 10 years, and I have to say it was nice being tall enough for all the rides. Good weather and short lines made for a great time!

Dragster had a few rollbacks late in the day. We were next in line for the back train when one of them happened. They temp closed for maintenance and cleared the trains. The guy in front of us, who was in the train before they cleared, left. There were some spots open in the front train, but we stayed in back. We got in the train when they opened, and the front train rolled back...AGAIN. We could've been on that train! But alas, we'll have to get a rollback another time. Nevertheless, they ran it successfully for a little before the park closed and we got to ride twice in a row, the second essentially being a walk-on (we got to walk-on Dragster!! ). Fun day.

I'm at the park today, and it is a great day. The lines are actually fairly short, I only waited 20 minutes for MF which at the time was running two trains. The yellow train is back in operation now, which is really nice. There were a few blue parts laying under the brake run, but nothing significant looking. There was literally no line for Maverick when I was there, but I waited for front row so it added about 15 minutes. But still, 15 minutes for Maverick is nothing. Maverick had one train off the track though, and one of the trains had a closed front row so that was kind of annoying. The new restraints make a huge difference, even though I've never had a problem with it. When I got off though the line was probably 30-40 minutes. Gemini is running both sides, but the 'racing' factor isn't really working out so well. Mean Streak was awesome though, which was really strange. I was expecting to have to ride defensively but the ride was really smooth and it was a nice surprise. We rode front row on that so I can't say how well the rest of the train was, but when ride ops asked how was the ride there was cheering instead of groans. Usually there is always that one guy who yells, "MY LEEGG" like the guy from Spongebob byt this time there wasn't even that. It was a walk on as usual, but whatever they've been doing to it has been working because it was painless. There were even a few good airtime moments. However they were only running the red train and the nasty gold/yellow/cream colored train. The red train was on the transfer track, but not actually on the track just sitting on top of it. Magnum had only two trains running though, which was an inconvenience but really not a big deal, only one queue was full. Dragster has been on and off all day, as expected, and when I walked past I saw it backing into the station. It hasn't been up in about an hour. I believe Corkscrew was only running the red train and the white train, although no one really cares anyway. Gatekeeper was down briefly, but I think someone threw up because only one empty train was sent, presumably to dry it off. Wicked Twister hasn't run all day, but I've been eyeing it anxiously. Rougarou was a blast though, and I think it made up for WT's stupidity over the past week or so. There's a few school groups and stuff here, but for the most part the park is pretty uncrowded. I'm taking a break for lunch now, but I've already gotten quite a few rides in with minimal waiting. Also, Skyhawk is open, both sides!! Finally! Let's hope this is the last major issue it ever has. So far things are going pretty well here at CP, let's just hope that Dragster and Wicked Twister open because I love them both.

Wicked Twister just opened. And then after the first train was emergency stopped, it closed again. We waited in the station for about fifteen minutes, just waiting to see what was up. The ride ops brought out a battery pack cord of some type and plugged it into a thing on the top of each car which released the restraints. Then they moved the train back out of the station and some mechanics came out to look at it. There was a sensor of some variety at the back of the station that they were looking at, and a mechanic got up on a ladder and was working on it. There were some wires and stuff and they were screwing some stuff in or something. My guess is that the sensor tripped or something and caused an emergency power outage which stopped the train and stopped automatic restraint unlocked. So that may be what it up. The ride op said this keeps happening and no one knows why. On the upside, they gave us vouchers for front of the line ride on anything, so we went front row on MF. Thanks Wicked Twister

We were also just at the park yesterday and had a great time!

As others have mentioned, Wicked Twister has been running. We happened to be walking by when it first got going yesterday and waited only 5 or 10 minutes, but they stopped it just as we were getting strapped in. The funny thing is they said they had no idea how long it would take (after having us wait ~5 mins before an announcement), so we walked off, only to watch it get going again probably only 5 minutes later. So be it -- Gatekeeper was a wonderful ride. I like the smooth ones.

We really lucked out with our chosen day, as I'd heard Wednesday was pretty crowded with ARC of Ohio day (and then also power outages!?). The weather on Thursday was pretty gray and cool (almost cold), even with some dark clouds, but no rain. And just as my wife was beginning to be too cold to keep riding, the sun came out for a beautiful late afternoon and evening.

This was our first time at CP, but from what I understand, the crowds were light. We bypassed any rides with more than a 10 or 15 minute wait, but still got on a bunch. The longest we waited was ~45' for Millennium Force in the afternoon, just because we needed to ride it and I wasn't sure the line would ever go away. All the other waits were short.

We also lucked out in a few ways (I think). First, we rode Top Thrill Dragster twice, and each time, decided to get in line while it was not operating -- a small line just outside the entry gate. Sure enough, it opened up and we nearly walked right on. Both times, under 15 minutes total wait! Second, I got on MF for the 2nd time with my wife at ~7:50pm, assuming that would be our last ride, since we had to then walk over to Maverick to get my boys (that was their last ride). As luck would have it, when I got to Maverick at ~8:10pm, the guy let me in (and just a few others) before closing it! My boys were still waiting And then, to really rub it in that they had missed the last MF ride I got, my Maverick train got a "One more time" extra ride! Oh, they were just a bit jealous.

Anyway, CP is an amazing park. We'll definitely be going back next year and I hope I can be so lucky again with picking a good day.

By the way, I had been worried about Mean Streak, after hearing it was so painful, but I rode it twice and thought it was a great ride. One of the operators mentioned they've been doing track work over the past couple years, so I guess that's really helping. A great, long, beautiful wooden coaster -- and with no lines.

No water rides yet.

And the same thing I posted previously happened AGAIN on Wicked Twister. Except this time no line jumping pass.

No water rides yet?

I am kinda surprised that they don't have at least 1 open. Kings island has had there water rides open since opening day.

Also I met another TPR member - DBRU on Magnum. He's a supervisor and was working the ride this morning. Nice guy with good hustle, and even smiled while he was working. I got 12 on her today! No waiting in the morning.

Things are looking up at the Point from my perspective!

Thanks for the kind words, Ed! It was nice to meet you and I look forward to seeing you around this season.

If you think Magnum is rough or uncomfortable, particularly on the airtime hills, just tighten your seatbelt as tight as you can. That's seriously the secret to making this ride incredible and thigh pain-free. Magnum is my favorite coaster at CP and this is why!

This post is from January but I'm replying to it now because I finally tried it yesterday. I'm still in disbelief.

I always wanted to like this ride but never could because of how painful it is. I never understood why so many people spoke so highly of it because I could never enjoy it with the ridiculous thigh crushing lap bars but for the first time in at least 50 rides of me trying to like Magnum over the years I had an awesome ride on it!

Everyone needs to try this, it might be the single greatest piece of advice I've ever seen on this site. Magnum went from my least favorite hyper to one of my favorites immediately.

Really Coasterbill? I'm going to have to try that then. When I went last week, it wasn't just the airtime hills at the end that gave a thigh crush. We all know those are coming, but the majority of the ride felt a lot more rough at least to me than it usually does. I'll have to try this when I fly back up later this year. Thanks for the advice!

That is interesting information about the seal belts. While I have never had a problem riding Magnum, I have had others in my party mention the thigh crushing. I will make sure to mention that to them the next time we ride.

Not surprised by the water rides not being open. It has been quite cold here for the past four or five days and it's only 55 right now. Who in their right mind would want to ride Shoot The Rapids, Thunder Canyon or Snake River Falls when it's this cold? I'm surprised that Lake Erie doesn't have ice on it still!

One of my friends who works at Cedar Point told me that he overheard Rob Decker (Head of maintenance, i think?) talking about a dive coaster for next year, and it being the third tallest coaster in the park. Which agrees completely with the memo, but basically it's nothing new, could just be another rumor for the rumor mill. But personally I'll count it as semi-confirmed

One of my friends who works at Cedar Point told me that he overheard Rob Decker (Head of maintenance, i think?) talking about a dive coaster for next year, and it being the third tallest coaster in the park. Which agrees completely with the memo, but basically it's nothing new, could just be another rumor for the rumor mill. But personally I'll count it as semi-confirmed

Rob Decker designed Banshee and Fury 325. Isn't he the head of engineering or something for CF. This is pretty positive news if he did indeed say that.