TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Russia to build Vekoma GIB in Sochi

It seems the Vekoma GIB is back with vengeance. After the ride unexpectedly showed up at Jin Jiang Action Park in China earlier this year it seems Vekoma have sold another model to the brand new Sochi Park in Russia. (Source: http://coastersandmore.de/rides/achterbahnneuheiten2012/achterbahnneuheiten2012.shtml)

The park is being built for part of the 2014 Winter Olympics and is expected to open for the 2013 season and will feature 6 themed areas and a 35 rides. The official site is already online (although in limited form) and can be found here. http://sochi-park.ru

Below are a couple of concept and model images I’ve dug up from the web.

Source: http://vhcoasters.com/

It seems a little random that we went 9 years without a GIB and suddenly we have 2 more to play with. Not that I'm complaining. I think they are great rides.

Edited by SharkTums

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems a little random that we went 9 years without a GIB and suddenly we have 2 more to play with. Not that I'm complaining. I think they are great rides.

Plus, SFMM's is getting moved to SFNE...so to many, that will appear to be brand new.

Maybe Vekoma was able to solve most of the problems with China's GIB? Stunt Fall did turn out to be much better than the US versions, and that opened only a year later. It is possible that China's could be a lot more reliable than the other versions.

Although, the resurrection of one of the most problematic designs in history seemed to come out of left field. What's next? A new Flying Dutchman?

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe Vekoma was able to solve most of the problems with China's GIB? Stunt Fall did turn out to be much better than the US versions, and that opened only a year later. It is possible that China's could be a lot more reliable than the other versions.

Although, the resurrection of one of the most problematic designs in history seemed to come out of left field. What's next? A new Flying Dutchman?

Vekoma always claimed Six Flags was to blame because they requested a ton of changes to the original design AND kept modifying the ride.

Stunt Fall was also built by Six Flags and has had its share of troubles as well.

It's like blaming Honda when your tuned Civic doesn't make it over a speed bump anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

Theres a new model now including the proposed winter olympics venues, new shopping malls and Formula 1 track.

Yeah the coasters still look really unrealistic but the park is expected to get a GIB and a Mack Launched coaster.

They have also released a promo video which can be seen here

And for a ton of pics of the venues, malls and F1 track check below

Source: http://vhcoasters.com/

• 8 months later...
^I don't see the GIB anywhere in that scale model.

That scale model is rubbish. Just random crap.

Here's the plan of the park.

You can see the Vekoma GIB on the left, along with a Mack Wild Mouse - the bigger park model.

Bottom right, the Mack launched looper, clearly a clone of BlueFire. And top right, a Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster.

• 1 year later...
Wow! I wonder if this park will survive when no one visits Sochi after the Olympics!

I'm still wondering if the Winter Olympics will survive being hosted in a city known as a warm weather destination.

Yes, I realize many events will be held in the surroundings moutainous region, but I still expect there to be huge problems.

Wow! I wonder if this park will survive when no one visits Sochi after the Olympics!

I'm still wondering if the Winter Olympics will survive being hosted in a city known as a warm weather destination.

Yes, I realize many events will be held in the surroundings moutainous region, but I still expect there to be huge problems.

Next 3 olympic venues (including Sochi) are all pretty bad choices IMO...

Sochi 2014, Warmest place in Russia for the *WINTER* Olympics.

Brazil 2014, Lots of crime from what I've heard.

South Korea 2018, Next to North Korea, and depending on how Kim Jon Une is feeling, that's bad.

At lest in 6 years we get a good venue, Tokyo.

Anyway, as for the GIB, it's cool to see more of these things. I'm surprised other companies haven't made similar versions of it in the 10 or so years they've been out of production.

Next 3 olympic venues (including Sochi) are all pretty bad choices IMO...

Sochi 2014, Warmest place in Russia for the *WINTER* Olympics.

Brazil 2014, Lots of crime from what I've heard.

South Korea 2018, Next to North Korea, and depending on how Kim Jon Une is feeling, that's bad.

At lest in 6 years we get a good venue, Tokyo.

Anyway, as for the GIB, it's cool to see more of these things. I'm surprised other companies haven't made similar versions of it in the 10 or so years they've been out of production.

No WESTERN company have. HOWEVER, a few knockoff companies in China have actually built quite a few boomerangs. Like the one in Harbin. Absolutely terrible! It makes a Vekoma SLC seem like a B&M! YES, its actually that bad!!!

Isn't the GIB still in production by Vekoma? It was my understanding that both this GIB and the one built at Jin Jiang a few yewrs back were both brand new coasters built by Vekoma. I could be wrong though.